Is this a standard Ryanair announcement

75 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, hellfire99 said:

Next time I'm in Aldi I'm gonna start clapping as the checkout girl scans my groceries.  :lol:

So Aldi is in the US is it? ;):D

16 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

How many have gone down?

This doesn't really mean anything: the bigger the airline is, the higher accident statistics. But good point, no major accident so far.

4 minutes ago, hellfire99 said:

Er, yes. 

Aldi USA.

Fair enough! :rolleyes: Can you get maultaschen?

Right on, franklan. I remember that one. I think it was a one-off, though. Most planes break up on impact in the middle of the ocean.

Note safety equipment on Russian supersonic aircraft (I didn't fly it, this is from Sinsheim Technik museum):

DSC_3309.JPG.466377c9cc9c8577fbca185b3a4

With over 2000 kmh cruising speed the probability that you will ever need a fire extinguisher, an axe or radios is pretty zero. But the rules were the rules.

Once flew on an internal flight in China. The staff issueing passengers with little fans when we boarded should have been a warning sign. The air con just couldn't cope. The best bit was landing. When we touched the deck and the pilot applied the brakes, the row of seats in front of me collapsed forward, they just folded over. I was unsure before going on board but that really made me feel unsafe.

The most comfortable flight I had was in the RAF, we use to fly baggage class - You put the baggage on the floor and then you slept on it, loads of leg room, bag squirmed to fit your body, the only issue was the ear defenders getting in the way.

31 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

With over 2000 kmh cruising speed the probability that you will ever need a fire extinguisher, an axe or radios is pretty zero

Not so sure about that.  In my view not having a fire extinguisher on a plane in flight would be insane, and an axe could be pretty handy at least in case of some kind of crash during take off and landing.  Search-and-rescue radios probably less useful, but no doubt a mandatory part of security theater.

40 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

Note safety equipment on Russian supersonic aircraft (I didn't fly it, this is from Sinsheim Technik museum):

DSC_3309.JPG.466377c9cc9c8577fbca185b3a4

With over 2000 kmh cruising speed the probability that you will ever need a fire extinguisher, an axe or radios is pretty zero. But the rules were the rules.

Not all aircraft break up in mid air, a lot have landing gear failure whilst landing or throw a turbine blade during takeoff when the engines are under max stress. Take Concorde, Foreign Object Damage burst a fuel tank leading to the catastrophic fire on take off.

Still with Soviet aircraft of that era every little bit was needed. Just compare the quality of the workmanship and flightdeck of the Concorde to the TU144 at Sinsheim.

21 minutes ago, naberlin said:

Search-and-rescue radios probably less useful, but no doubt a mandatory part of security theater.

SAR EPIRB's  are mandatory on planes and ships - if you have to go into the water, be it plane or abandoning ship, they will likely save your life.

1 minute ago, LeCheese said:

SAR EPIRB's  are mandatory on planes and ships - if you have to go into the water, be it plane or abandoning ship, they will likely save your life.

I get the concept, but it seems like the chances of landing a supersonic aircraft intact in the water are practically nil, so as a practical matter not sure how many lives would be saved.  

If we're talking about some kind of post-crash locator beacon I could understand, but the Russian sign seems to refer to actual radio sets.

30 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

Speaking of airlines: anyone ever flown with Ukrainian Airlines?

It's more or less like Ryanair, but more expensive and with older aircraft. If you mean UIA.

Yes... I just booked my daughter with them and she thinks it might be bombed down! (Not really scared justthat it's an obscure line.)

1 hour ago, Uncle Nick said:

The most worrying thing on overland flights is when they tell you where your life vest is!

Overland flights don't need to carry life vests, but sometimes do (especially if the plane is also used for other routes which require them.)

1 hour ago, franklan said:

>The most worrying thing on overland flights is when they tell you where your life vest is!

>Like you would survive to use it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Airways_Flight_1549

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

Right on, franklan. I remember that one. I think it was a one-off, though. Most planes break up on impact in the middle of the ocean.

Ditching "in the middle of the ocean" presents 2 huge obstacles that make the prospects of survival in such an event even less likely: large waves, cold water (tropics excluded).