Is this a standard Ryanair announcement

75 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, naberlin said:

You might have just hit a bad time.  I've flown Easyjet out of Schonefeld a handful of times and never had any problem.

I asked the check in lady if this was Normal. She told me that for mornings at this time of year it was normal. Best time was evenings according to her.

I usually use Tegel, it's much easier to get to and well staffed for the most part. I only used Easyjet this time as it was a direct flight to my destination.

Schönefeld: in top 5 of worst airports in Europe, totally agree with LeCheese. Can compete for the worst airport with Rome Fumicino, Paris Charles de Gaulle or Heraklion Crete.

Tegel is ok.

In which century will BER be opened?

2 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

Schönefeld: in top 5 of worst airports in Europe, totally agree with LeCheese. Can compete for the worst airport with Rome Fumicino, Paris Charles de Gaulle or Heraklion Crete.

My vote is for Charles de Gaulle. Haven't used the others so can't compare.

Favourite: Changi Singapore.

Talking of Ryanair, why does everyone clap and why do they play the idiotic music on landing? FFS it's like getting on a bus, do we applaud a bus driver when he pulls into the bus station? I've noticed it everytime I've used Baden Airpark. Does it happen on other airlines? As for quality of airport and queues, I really do like Baden, small ex military air base, everything is leisurly and although doesn't bring the joy back to flying, makes it more than bearable.

In some cultures people clap. No idea, why.

Noticed that in Eastern Europe and Italy.

Don't we all clap aboard Ryanair because not only we survived the flight with "economical" fuel level in the tank, but because they always announce that amazingly, we have arrived 15 min ahead of schedule!

Not a great achievement, considering 30 mins have been added to the estimated flight times...;)

7 minutes ago, dom said:

Don't we all clap aboard Ryanair because not only we survived the flight with "economical" fuel level in the tank, but because they always announce that amazingly, we have arrived 15 min ahead of schedule!

Not a great achievement, considering 30 mins have been added to the estimated flight times...;)

Just happy to be on the ground, and actually still on the plane :-)

20 minutes ago, dom said:

This is actually what I like about Ryanair. Punctuality.

If all your planes are constantly late, why not adjust the schedule? Simple idea, but many do not use it.

Lufthansa: we are 2 hours late because the connecting flight from fucking Chicago is late.

Note your points about landing safely but when it comes to the aircraft, Ryanair have a very modern fleet because O'leary has worked out it's cheaper to have a modern fleet than to pay for maintenance. As for flying in general, the aircraft are a lot safer, more fuel efficient and reliable than just 25 years ago so there is no need to feel unsafe on these aircraft. Even though O'Leary probably knows how much extra each litre of unused fuel carried during a flight costs, he still has to abide by international aviation rules that state aircraft must have a minimum amount of fuel onboard above what is req'd for the flight.

So, clapping is a bit OTT, having flown in an aircraft that ended up having an oil coolant leak over the channel which neccessitated beating it back to land quickly, clapping on touching ground in one of the safest aircraft produced baffles me.

CDG 15 years ago truly deserved to consistently win the title worst airport in Europe as it indeed did.

Things have improved slightly so it is fair CDG is now only consistently in the worst 3.

One big improvement is that you no longer rely on buses to get everywhere, which is a good thing because you can be sure on any given day at least one group in CDG will be striking.

Actually Ryanair eclipses all other airlines for declaring fuel SOSs, and needing immediate clearance to land.

2 minutes ago, French bean said:

Note your points about landing safely but when it comes to the aircraft, Ryanair have a very modern fleet because O'leary has worked out it's cheaper to have a modern fleet than to pay for maintenance. As for flying in general, the aircraft are a lot safer, more fuel efficient and reliable than just 25 years ago so there is no need to feel unsafe on these aircraft. Even though O'Leary probably nows how much extra each litre of unused fuel carried during a flight costs, he still has to abide by international aviation rules that state aircraft must have a minimum amount of fuel onboard above what is req'd for the flight.

True. This with fuel is a bit dangerous, though. Compensated partly by choosing the smallest airports in the middle of nowhere, so they do not have landing queues.

The other danger is (illegal) overtime work by pilots. Also compensated by more modern and semi automatic planes.

For short distances Ryanair safety is ok, for longer one... not so.

1 minute ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

CDG 15 years ago truly deserved to consistently win the title worst airport in Europe as it indeed did.

Things have improved slightly so it is fair CDG is now only consistently in the worst 3.

One big improvement is that you no longer rely on buses to get everywhere, which is a good thing because you can be sure on any given day at least one group in CDG will be striking.

I recently flew from Changi to CDG -- the difference was striking. Both times, it was an intransit situation in which I had to change terminals. At Changi, as soon as I got off the plane there was an info monitor where I only had to enter my boarding card, and it told me everything I need to know -- gave me a map of the airport, told me where I had to walk and how long, etc. At CDG I tried doing the same but, after the machine demanded not only boarding pass but my passport and flight number, it told me it had no info. There was not even an information board telling me which terminal I had to go to. Finally I found I had to take a bus to the new terminal, but there was no info as to which gate; instead, a sign saying the gate would be announced 30 minutes before flight departure. Which, if you think about it, is pretty ridiculous. Anyway I got homw safely and that's the main thing. On y va.

2 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

a sign saying the gate would be announced 30 minutes before flight departure

This reminds me of the LAST time I flew through Heathrow into that new terminal. All the nice shops there but I had to sit outside and watch the monitors in case my new gate would be a 20 minute walk. Insane. Never again.

54 minutes ago, French bean said:

Talking of Ryanair, why does everyone clap and why do they play the idiotic music on landing? FFS it's like getting on a bus, do we applaud a bus driver when he pulls into the bus station? 

Next time I'm in Aldi I'm gonna start clapping as the checkout girl scans my groceries.  :lol:

52 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

In some cultures people clap. No idea, why.

Clapping used to be very common for Russian flights, less so nowadays, although there is still some clapping going on.

I think if you were flying one of the old Soviet planes with a potentially drunk pilot, you'd clap too when you landed!

Nowadays Aeroflot is my preferred airline when I have a choice; they have a very new fleet of Western planes and good service.

10 minutes ago, dom said:

Never: take off from Columbia, fly over the MEDITERRANIEN and land in RUSSIA...NEVER!!:o

eh?  Do you mean "or" instead of "and"?  I doubt there are direct flights from Columbia to Russia via the Med?  And don't fly over the Med?  :o

And I've taken dozens and dozens of flights to/from Russia--never had any problem.