Is this a standard Ryanair announcement

75 posts in this topic

I've got this email from Ryanair at 10:55 this (Tuesday) morning

We have been advised of potential security delays at Brussels airport.

We ask that customers travelling arrive at the airport as early as possible, preferably 3 hours before their scheduled flight departure time, to ensure they have sufficient time to clear airport security and to be at the boarding gate at our recommended 30 minutes prior to scheduled fight departure time.

We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I have a feeling I got exactly the same worded Email when I flew to Bulgaria from Chareleroi, a different airport in Belgium a few months ago. Deleted it of course so can't compare. But that time the security queue was 10 minutes.

So does Ryanair just automatically send out this Email to scare passengers into arriving early, or is it something I have to worry about.

I usually aim to get to the airport 2 hrs before the flight is due which is enough time to check in etc. If you do get held up for any reason you should be able to jump the queue to board your flight on time.

Does it really matter if it is actually true... or whether they send it just to make sure you are not late...

I often wonder how you managed to make it out of Ireland sometimes....

Lets face it... if you get to the departure lounge with 30 mins to spare... you drink 2 beers at max...  Get there an hour before... drink more!

USW...

I'm not really looking for general advice on airport arrival times, but whether this is a standard scare tactic by an airline with lousy customer service, or there is an unusual and real problem that necessitates arriving ridiculously early at the airport.

Have others received such an Email from Ryanair? If so were the security queues over the top?

@Smaug Thanks. didn't think of checking bruseelsairport, but now it seem obvious. 

I was assuming it was ryanair just being ryanair and had typed the phrase into google. 

I'm flying on Thu 25 so it does seem a problem. Except I will sleep in Brussels and take the train to the airport.

International/Transatlantic flights advise  you to arrive to check in 3 hours before flight.   They seem to have one long queue for all flights.

I arrive for a siege- kindle/books, sandwiches,  juice/water, iPod/iPad and find a quiet corner.

BTW my flight is at 08:35, so 3 hours before is 05:30. It's a 1.5 hour train from where I live, and there are no trains at 04:00. Normally I'd say getting to the airport at 07:00 would be fine. Guess I'll stay tonight in Brussels and aim for a 06:30 arrival. I can see that car traffic would be messed up by dear old Trump but how would it affect security lines? The flight is to Hamburg BTW. 

Hamburg, Germany not Hamburg Australia or USA.

@SpiderPig I'm actually not much of a beer drinker especially before 07:00. I fail to see the attraction of spending 2 more hours than necessary drinking beer alone in an ugly airport. Lucky I don't live in Ireland or I guess I'd be stuck there because of my attitude to drinking. Hmmmm

1 hour ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

I can see that car traffic would be messed up by dear old Trump but how would it affect security lines?

Actually, I'd say that car traffic would be messed up due to the hoopla of ANY major head of state coming into Brussels for a Nato summit.
Wasn't any different for dear old Obama, dear old Billy Clinton, dear old Helmut Kohl, dear old John Major, etc coming into any city for a political summit. Won't be any different in the future, either.

Right, but I have no intention of driving or taking a taxi to said airport. I shall arrive by train indeed to be sure to be sure. and will let someone else drive the train for safety.

Of course if Trump nukes Brussels while I'm waiting for my flight, that could wreck my whole day.

I agree. I haven't flown Ryanair for years now. Horrible airline. Thankfully there's  now a Stuttgart-Gatwick Easyjet connection that's perfect for my UK visits. It used to be Baden-Baden or Hahn to Stansted.

I recently received a similar e-mail from Ryan Air about a flight from Sofia.  No lines whatsoever, and in fact the passport control guy said that I had arrived too early to enter the departure area, and didn't want to let me in.  He finally relented but said that I should come later next time.  Thanks Ryan Air!

For Americans, Ryan Air also has a very irritating requirement that even if you check in online, you need to go to the check in desk so they can check your "visa" for flying to EU countries.  Of course Americans don't need such visas, and no other airline imposes such a requirement.

Bottom line is that Ryan Air sucks and I only use them if they are the only choice.

In the past I used to take the train to Köln (from Heidelberg) just to get the Easyjet flight to Gatwick instead of the Hahn-Stansted Ryanair flight. But now there's Stuttgart.

4 hours ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

I can see that car traffic would be messed up by dear old Trump but how would it affect security lines? The flight is to Hamburg BTW. 

Many Years ago, Bush ( perhaps it was Clinton, I cannot remember ) was flying out from the military side of Tegel airport - I was in the Airport at the time and they basically closed the Airport. Nobody in, Nobody out, traffic was halted etc, etc. Security was halted until the flight took off - nobody could go through.

On an aside, I was two hours early for an Easyjet flight to the UK last week. Between the check in lines and security, I ended up running to catch my flight and barely made it. It's summer and busy as hell.

First and last time I'll use Schonefeld Airport / Easyjet. The stress was simply not worth it

4 minutes ago, LeCheese said:

First and last time I'll use Schonefeld Airport / Easyjet. The stress was simply not worth it

You might have just hit a bad time.  I've flown Easyjet out of Schonefeld a handful of times and never had any problem.

10 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

Thankfully there's  now a Stuttgart-Gatwick Easyjet connection...

I've had bad experience with Easyjet too. Flying to Munich our flight was delayed due to a strike by baggage handlers in Italy (not Easyjet's fault), but it took them fours hours to come up with the idea of getting a plane from Edinburgh instead. The gate was at the other end of the airport and I was very weak at the time after having recovered from 13 weeks in hospital and they couldn't even find a trolley for me to carry my luggage! I have never flown with them since!