Family relocation to FaM, advice on where to live

4 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I know there's been plenty of discussion on this topic, but I'll try to be as clear and short as possible regarding my situation:

1. My job is located in Eschborn Sud and I haven't got a car, so I'd prefer fast connection via S-Bahn.

2. I'm moving with wife and 6-month baby, so I guess we'll need a good kindergarten nearby.

3. We don't speak German yet :( But we speak English, Russian and my wife also speaks French )

Generally, I'd prefer some nice and quiet place for usual young family-style living. My main break-a-head is the choice between the city (e.g. Bockenheim) and the nearest surroundings like Bad Soden, Kronberg, Taunus. What is like to live there without a car? And what about the expat community and social life?

Thanks in advance.

On 21.05.2017, 14:05:01, Tim Hortons Man said:

Those areas tend to be where a lot of expats live. Outside of travel time I'd tend to think that it would be better to live outside of the city.

Thanks! Should consider this )

Hi Stormbringer,

I have been living in Frankfurt during 3 years, then decided to move to Bad Soden with my boyfriend. We definitely prefer it there ! Sbahn connection to Eschborn Sud works well, we take it everyday to go in our case in Frankfurt city center. 

If you don't have a car, just pay attention to be close to a bus stop that goes to the train station. We have one in our case, and it usually synchronize quite well with Sbahn schedule. As you don't have a car, you would probably be interested to live close by one of the supermarkets, as taking bus to go shopping could maybe be a bit annoying.

It is possible to find English-speaking doctors there, also the administration is very helpful and faster than in Frankfurt !

For the social life, I have not taken information yet about Bad Soden, but you have anyway a very good connection towards Frankfurt even during the night, so it should not prevent anything. 

Just consider the slopes in Taunus make it harder to walk with a baby carrier: for that, it would be easier in Frankfurt.

In the end, the main difference I would see is about prices. Taunus is very expensive, especially if you add all your criteria. I would expect you could find cheaper in Frankfurt. But if you can afford it, I thing that you would definitely enjoy the cities there !