Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

What is he trying to say...

6 posts in this topic

I am trying to help my sons fried write something in English for his masters. I will give you what he wants in German and then what he wrote in English. I have no clue what he is looking for.

Ganzheitliche Entwicklung von Big Data Applikationen im Produktionsumfeld Elektrik und Software

What he wrote in English:

Holistic development of big data applications in the production field of electics and software.

Thanks in advance if you can help

The only thing I see that looks wrong is the translation of Produktionsumfeld. I would rather end that sentence with "the electronics and software production environment."

I need to disagree a bit here. The original German says " im Produktionsumfeld Elektrik und Software".

Now, strictly speaking, that means "the electrical and software production environment." (As opposed to Elektronik = electronics.)

And no, that doesn't really make sense, not even in German (I am a fluent speaker and work partly as a translator).

We need more context here - maybe there*is* a reason for this wording, such as data being collected in a Siemens or Bosch facility that makes washing machines etc. :)

And that's why I always refuse to translate disjointed phrases/sentences. English heavily depends on the context, something that makes Germans give me blank stares. ;)

And btw, I would take on the full translation/proofreading. Contact me for a quote.

16 hours ago, programdirector said:

I am trying to help my sons fried write something in English for his masters. I will give you what he wants in German and then what he wrote in English. I have no clue what he is looking for.

Ganzheitliche Entwicklung von Big Data Applikationen im Produktionsumfeld Elektrik und Software

What he wrote in English:

Holistic development of big data applications in the production field of electics and software.

Thanks in advance if you can help

The context would be interesting.   I know a little about Big Data and can think of a few possibilities about what he is trying to express. 

In any case, I would replace "Holistic" with some form of "Integrated" simply because of common usage. 

11 hours ago, SA618 said:

The context would be interesting.   I know a little about Big Data and can think of a few possibilities about what he is trying to express. 

In any case, I would replace "Holistic" with some form of "Integrated" simply because of common usage. 

That was my biggest problem. No context. My son was asking me for a friend so 3rd person no context plus I don't know anything about Big Data. :)

Is your son's friend not required to pass a preliminary exam on the use of buzzwords in IT?  ;)

I would guess that a huge percentage of his sources should be in English. 

Good Luck.