1&1 not delivering on the Umzug service

4 posts in this topic

Timeline:

• end of April I requested an Umzug on the 1&1 website
  • they set up an appointment for the 18th of May and made me pay 70 euros for the service
  • fast forward to the 18th: I stayed at home waiting the whole day and around 5pm they just sent an email saying they were not coming
  • they made me call them to schedule a new appointment, which will take place on the 31st
  • the excuse given is that the technician couldn’t find me at home (which is not true, as I received a working man on the same day for a different thing, so the process of getting into my house works just fine)

I’m now extremely displeased with their poor customer service, especially because I’m an existing customer. So:

• Is there any way I can at least get a refund on the Umzug? I paid 70 euros to get internet on the 18th (which is quite outrageous by itself) but they are now postponing to the 31st. It seems to me they are failing to provide a service here.
  • in the heat of the moment I’m now seriously considering prematurely terminating the 24 months contract which should end on November 2017. I couldn’t find any information, does anyone know how much that would cost me?

2 hours ago, nicolaf said:
  • Is there any way I can at least get a refund on the Umzug? I paid 70 euros to get internet on the 18th (which is quite outrageous by itself) but they are now postponing to the 31st. It seems to me they are failing to provide a service here

Maybe. But it's on you to complain and bargain. I suggest using their forum or other visible Internet channels for complaints. ISPs seem to put more good will into those for the publicity.

my 2 cents:

- They will provide the service (connect new address), just later.

- Not even sure 70 Euros are allowed. They list 70 Euros in their "price list" for installation but advertise 0 Euro on the web site if you order as a new customer. Law says they must not charge more for a move than for a new connection. (§ 46 Abs. 8 Satz 2 TKG)

• in the heat of the moment I’m now seriously considering prematurely terminating the 24 months contract which should end on November 2017. I couldn’t find any information, does anyone know how much that would cost me?

You can't find it because they really, really don't want that. It's difficult. I'd just sit it out. Not worth the trouble for a few months if there aren't any problems otherwise. (In case you want to cancel November 2017 don't forget the 3 months notice period.)

I agree with Sneaker and what I suggest is;

1)  Concentrate now on getting the transfer complete.  Call them, email them do what you must to get this done ASAP.  Don't threaten with leaving, this will not have a good effect. But do point out that you have been a customer since xxx.

2)  Once this is complete then push for compensation for the lack of service.  

First tell them that you don't want to pay for an Umzug service with they could not deliver.  Make the points about being in the whole day and other workmen coming and going.  

Tell them that sending an email to inform you that there were not coming was stupid, because you could not read email with no internet connection! (Tell them you cannot access your email via phone etc. if they ask, and you only read it the next day in an internet cafe).

Then point out what Sneaker said about the law for charging for the Umzug

Then push them to reduce the monthly cost, due to no service for xxx days.

Then tell them you want compensation due to not having internet, not being able to work from home etc. for this amount of time (this is pushing it a bit, but if you don't ask you don't get).

Then at this point you can threaten them to quit in November.  As Sneaker said, there is no point doing it now because they will make you pay a termination fee which will probably be about the same as the monthly costs until your end of contract plus they will not then care because they will get their money anyway.  And then you have no chance of getting the fees for the Umzug service back!

And this is exactly why I reccomend to all "Non cable" internet users to go to Telekom...

An "Umzug" with Telekom is usually free... and happens on the day that Telekom say as you are a Telekom client!

An" Umzug" with "AN OTHER" means that they have to pay Telekom the 69.95€ for the cost of leasing a new line... AND they get the "We dont give a shit" customer service from T-kom...

Pay the few € extra and go to T-kom...

Thats my 2 cts!