How is it like running an online business in Germany?

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I have a couple of questions regarding running a business in Germany, especially an online business. I am an Albanian citizen (non-EU) and I am registered as a sole trader here in Albania. I work as an online freelancer and I also have some intellectual properties online. 

Lately it's getting quite annoying running such a business here. All my earnings come through PayPal and only a couple of banks allow withdrawing money from PayPal here and even those two banks are quite annoying in that they question you where these money are coming from, what do I do, and how long am I going to continue this business. Explaining all that is a bit hard though because institutions here expect hard papers contracts with seals and signatures and they are very suspicious if you bring printed email receipts. As you can imagine, it's hard to get hard papers from PayPal or the online companies I work for. So, bottom line is it's quite stressful running a business here.

So, I am thinking of moving to Germany by applying for a self-employed residence which I have read does not have a lot of requirements for students with a German degree (I have an Erasmus Mundus master degree from a German university earned four years ago). 

Do you know if Germany would be more business friendly? How are the banks there? Any feedback regarding these questions or other related matters would be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Adi.

It may be easier to run a business here but there are many rules and regulations to meet before you begin. As you are not an EU member you need some expert advice.

BTW, health Insurance is compulsory in Germany. Perhaps you could contact  The German Embassy in Albania.

21 minutes ago, White Rose of Yorkshire said:

It may be easier to run a business here but there are many rules and regulations to meet before you begin. As you are not an EU member you need some expert advice.

BTW, health Insurance is compulsory in Germany. Perhaps you could contact  The German Embassy in Albania.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, there are the filters you need to pass in order to register as self-employed according to this link make-it-in-germany.com:

- Your product or service has to be economically worthwhile or serve a regional need.

- Your activity has to be deemed likely to have a positive impact on the economy.

- You have to supply the capital or have a bank loan to finance it.

- You have to have the means to support yourself 

- You have to be able to provide proof that you have adequate old-age pension insurance if you are over the age of 45.

However, if you have a German degree and your self employment activity is related to your degree, then the only requirements according to the link above are:

- You have to have the means to support yourself 

- You have to be able to provide proof that you have adequate old-age pension insurance if you are over the age of 45.

So the second scenario seems straightforward to me if I am not missing something.

Wouldn't it be easier for you to incorporate an Albanian LLC and do all the trading through the company? I don't know anything about Albanian red tape but I am just wondering if banks are overly suspicious of sole traders in the country but don't give limited companies such a hard time?

Smaug, I don't know whether LLC would be easier to work with banks, but a LLC would mean double taxation (corporate tax plus dividend tax for the LLC, so from 15% it would go to 30%).