Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Pedestrians mown down in Times Square..breaking

23 posts in this topic

Dunno---- but an arsehole at least and now a murderer in my books. By the way, what are DUIs?:huh:

Empathy for the victims - none for the arsehole.

Driving under influence (of alcohol, drugs or smartphones)

They are expecting a record of people being killed in 2016 in the US: more than 40000.

From 2009 to 2014 "only" 32000. Guess why?

Have they lowered the legal age to drink alcohol or is the legalization of cannabis in some states?

New York (and especially area around Times Square) is a giant traffic jam. I landed in JFK, got there by train. Hilarious, but most Americans prefer to stay in line for taxi, then pay 50 bucks to stay in traffic jam. Subway cost: 7 bucks. Why are Americans so afraid of trains? No, they are not dirty or something.

Friend of mine landed in La Guardia, she had no choice but a taxi. The traffic jam started already at the airport.

Getting to the point: it probably depends on time/date, but normally it is very hard to accelerate and then drive into the crowd there. A very unfortunate set of events.

10 minutes ago, john g. said:

No SmartPhones before then?

Apparently they were already on the market

59 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

Driving under influence (of alcohol, drugs or smartphones)

They are expecting a record of people being killed in 2016 in the US: more than 40000.

From 2009 to 2014 "only" 32000. Guess why?

LOL - nice try.

There's a difference between DUI/DWI and distracted driving.

Legal difference, yes. Otherwise, no difference: you do not see what you should see, you do not react when you should react, you cause an accident.

http://fortune.com/2017/02/15/traffic-deadliest-year/

2016 Was the Deadliest Year on American Roads in Nearly a Decade

Lower gas prices and and increased motor-vehicle mileage combined with risky activities like speeding and driving while texting is proving deadly for American drivers.

New preliminary 2016 data shared Wednesday from the National Safety Council estimates that as many as 40,000 people died in motor vehicles crashes last year, a 6% rise from 2015. If those numbers bear out, it would be a 14% increase in deaths since 2014, the biggest two-year jump in more than five decades.

It also means that 2016 may have been the deadliest year on U.S. roads since 2007, the NSC says.

The survey released shows drivers are concerned about safety. Some 83% of respondents said driving is a safety concern. But that hasn't stopped many of them from speeding, texting, or driving while impaired by alcohol, prescription medication, or marijuana.

My driving always used to go to pieces when I got a call, so I would stop at the side of the road to answer the phone.

2 hours ago, yourkeau said:

Hilarious, but most Americans prefer to stay in line for taxi, then pay 50 bucks to stay in traffic jam. Subway cost: 7 bucks. Why are Americans so afraid of trains?

Not hilarious. Complete bullshit. Most New Yorkers do not own cars and use public transportation.

34 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Not hilarious. Complete bullshit. Most New Yorkers do not own cars and use public transportation.

I wrote Americans, not New Yorkers. Most New Yorkers do not travel to and from JFK every day, AFAIK. You agree that NYC is a big exception.

11 hours ago, yourkeau said:

Hilarious, but most Americans prefer to stay in line for taxi, then pay 50 bucks to stay in traffic jam. Subway cost: 7 bucks. Why are Americans so afraid of trains? No, they are not dirty or something.

Hilarious, but once again you make judgments based on your very parochial viewpoint.  Maybe, just maybe, the people waiting in line for a taxi were--wait for it--not going to places serviced by trains?  You think everyone waiting in the taxi line was going to times square?