Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Bundesliga - Does anybody really care?

85 posts in this topic

...And this all under assumption that all salaries will remain legal and public.

Nothing prevents Bayern from paying half of the salary via some letterbox company in Switzerland. If the footballer pays taxes on it, the Finanzamt will not tell FIFA that the player receives undeclared salary.

I guess there is less money circulating in American football, so that rule can work. Not in Europe.

The average attendance to a Bundesliga match 16/17 was 41500, second highest attendance in the world behind NFL. So I guess Op, someone does care about it.

Personally I think football and afl are both up there, as two of the gayest sports in the world 😁 

33 minutes ago, Camm said:

The average attendance to a Bundesliga match 16/17 was 41500, second highest attendance in the world behind NFL. So I guess Op, someone does care about it.

Personally I think football and afl are both up there, as two of the gayest sports in the world 😁 

The Bundesliga has a higher attendance than the Six Nations ? That is news to me.

2 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

The Bundesliga has a higher attendance than the Six Nations ? That is news to me.

The Six Nations is an international tournament though, not a domestic league. So comparing apples with oranges if you are comparing 6N attendances with domestic leagues like the NFL or the Bundesliga.

What really annoys me is Bayern fans complaining about the ticket prices for away games in the CL. Bayern makes so much from sponsorship, merchandise and prize money that gate receipts are just a rounding error for them, whereas as smaller clubs depend on them.

Re. Bayern Munich's dominance - earlier this year, Stefan Effenberg suggested dividing the season in two and splitting the 1.Bundesliga mid way through the season. At the end of the first half of the season, in December, points are reset to zero. From January to May,  clubs in the top half now compete for the title, places in Europe while the bottom half compete to avoid relegation. I think it's quite a good idea.

On 9.4.2018, 12:55:16, dj_jay_smith said:

I understand what you mean, but this only works to a certain extent.   Most players would rather earn maximum salary for Bayern than for another club.  Due to the history, prestige and that Munich is a better place to live compared to Wolfsburg!  

Plus the biggest problem is that while this might work for a domestic league, Bayern would have a serious problem trying to compete in European competition.  And there is no way that the German football association would want to weaken it's biggest team in Europe.  

Yes, exactly, and because it is the way it is, and doesn't look like it will ever change, I only really find the

Champion's League worthy of my attention. At that level, the playing field, is, indeed...level.

Watching Bayer Leverkusen- FC Bayern right now. DFP Pokal. Very good game so far. Live in ARD. Watch it, you pay GEZ!

7 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Watching Bayer Leverkusen- FC Bayern right now. DFP Pokal. Very good game so far. Live in ARD. Watch it, you pay GEZ!

Really? Bayern were 2-0 up after 10 minutes and never in trouble after that, winning 6-2.

According to the Spiegel, if you enjoyed that, you would probably have enjoyed watching Lions v. Christians in Roman times.

http://www.spiegel.de/sport/fussball/dfb-pokal-bayern-muenchen-und-der-rest-des-deutschen-fussballs-a-1203434.html

15 hours ago, pmd said:

Re. Bayern Munich's dominance - earlier this year, Stefan Effenberg suggested dividing the season in two and splitting the 1.Bundesliga mid way through the season. At the end of the first half of the season, in December, points are reset to zero. From January to May,  clubs in the top half now compete for the title, places in Europe while the bottom half compete to avoid relegation. I think it's quite a good idea.

But is it?  Or does that just mean that you have more teams earlier with little to play for.

Those which "make the cut" into the top half might have overachieved during the first half of the season, and have no realistic chance of challenging for Europe and become the whipping boys for the other clubs, losing most weeks.  This would be bad for team confidence and moral, and the fans who don't want to see their team lose every week.  And this actually could have a negative impact the next season, as they have gone used to losing every week and forget how to win.

Those which just missed the cut might still be too good to be involved in a relegation fight but have nothing much to play for as they can't climb above a certain position.  And despite finishing top of their mini-league, they don't win anything.  Or do you reward them for being "Champions of mediocrity"!

It also means that you end up playing some teams 4 times which is boring, and if it works like the Scottish league then an imbalance could occur in fixtures (some times a team has to play another 3 times away from home.  I don't know how this works out, but it does!).  

You can also end up in a situation where a team in the bottom half of the table has more points than the Bundesliga Champions, and the team at the bottom of the top half of the table has less points than teams getting relegated.  It seems a bit strange to me!

I don't know how prize money is distributed in the Bundesliga, but in the Premier League then it is based on league position.  So then you would also be guaranteeing a minimum/maximum amount after only half the season.  Further enforcing the little to play for mentality.

And what would this mean for football rights?   The TV companies wouldn't be so keen to show the teams in the bottom half, and certain not when they have already played each other 3 times in a season.

3 hours ago, arsenal21 said:

Really? Bayern were 2-0 up after 10 minutes and never in trouble after that, winning 6-2.

According to the Spiegel, if you enjoyed that, you would probably have enjoyed watching Lions v. Christians in Roman times.

When I posted it, it was 1-2 and the 2-2 was in the air.

2 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

But is it?  Or does that just mean that you have more teams earlier with little to play for.

Those which "make the cut" into the top half might have overachieved during the first half of the season, and have no realistic chance of challenging for Europe and become the whipping boys for the other clubs, losing most weeks.  This would be bad for team confidence and moral, and the fans who don't want to see their team lose every week.  And this actually could have a negative impact the next season, as they have gone used to losing every week and forget how to win.

Those which just missed the cut might still be too good to be involved in a relegation fight but have nothing much to play for as they can't climb above a certain position.  And despite finishing top of their mini-league, they don't win anything.  Or do you reward them for being "Champions of mediocrity"!

It also means that you end up playing some teams 4 times which is boring, and if it works like the Scottish league then an imbalance could occur in fixtures (some times a team has to play another 3 times away from home.  I don't know how this works out, but it does!).  

You can also end up in a situation where a team in the bottom half of the table has more points than the Bundesliga Champions, and the team at the bottom of the top half of the table has less points than teams getting relegated.  It seems a bit strange to me!

I don't know how prize money is distributed in the Bundesliga, but in the Premier League then it is based on league position.  So then you would also be guaranteeing a minimum/maximum amount after only half the season.  Further enforcing the little to play for mentality.

And what would this mean for football rights?   The TV companies wouldn't be so keen to show the teams in the bottom half, and certain not when they have already played each other 3 times in a season.

All valid points, well made. Not sure what the solution is but at least there is a debate going on. 

And whatever about the dominance of Bayern, what on earth is happening with VAR (see Mainz match)?! UEFA need to sort this out asap because VAR is just a complete joke now. 

4 minutes ago, pmd said:

All valid points, well made. Not sure what the solution is but at least there is a debate going on. 

I agree.

I think that it is good that people are looking for solutions, but everything has good and bad points.

Maybe they could introduce a handicap based on revenue.  For every 100m more a team generates compared to their opponent they have to field 1 player less.

So using this (last season):https://www.statista.com/statistics/591201/bundesliga-revenue-football-clubs-germany/

When Bayern play Freiburg they would have to have 5.7 players less!

:) 

7 hours ago, arsenal21 said:

http://www.spiegel.de/sport/fussball/dfb-pokal-bayern-muenchen-und-der-rest-des-deutschen-fussballs-a-1203434.html

Well, root my brown dog, as my old mate Bazza used to say!

There you go, an overpaid German sports journo without an original idea in his head goes trawling through TT for inspiration and...BINGO...comes across this brilliant thread, the light goes on upstairs, he's got something to write about and can put Würstchen und Kartoffeln on the table for the week!

That's what I call a win-win (and keep on winning - next year too) situation.

1 hour ago, pmd said:

And whatever about the dominance of Bayern, what on earth is happening with VAR (see Mainz match)?! UEFA need to sort this out asap because VAR is just a complete joke now. 

I don't think it's up to UEFA, afaik it's up to the DFB, the German FA how they implement it. Serie A has a different approach that supposedly works better.

6 minutes ago, arsenal21 said:

I don't think it's up to UEFA, afaik it's up to the DFB, the German FA how they implement it. Serie A has a different approach that supposedly works better.

Okay, I actually didn't know there are different versions of VAR operating in different FAs - then the situation is even more bonkers than I first thought. 

20 hours ago, pmd said:

Terrible idea, that would only make the top clubs bigger, at the expense of the small clubs. Nobody would watch the lower clubs in the second half of the season.

Also how does it solve the issue of home/away games?