Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Bundesliga - Does anybody really care?

56 posts in this topic

This post was inspired, in part, by having seen some guy proudly wearing a 'Bayern Munich 5X Champions' 

(or something like that) T-shirt this morning. I think he had just sprung sprightly out of a black BMW convertible.

I like watching soccer on the tele every now and then. I find the Champions League games worthy of my interest.

What I don't understand is why anybody would seriously follow the Bundesliga. It is clearly dominated

by the club which has the most financial resources behind it. This to me makes it, as a competetion, a complete farce.

Some games are indeed beautiful to watch, but the result... Who cares?

Interestingly, where I come from, the controlling bodies do everything they can to make the competition

(AFL is the name of the league - Australian Rules Football, the game) as equal as possible.

A team can only spend the same amount of money as each other team to pay their players

(called a salary cap) and teams that end up down at the bottom of the ladder one year are given the first picks of the

young and talented players in the next year's draft. Etc. Excitingly, a team which had not won the premiership in over

50 years came from nowhere and won it last year. This year the competition looks even more even and at this stage

there are about 8 teams who could take it out. This system gives a supporter of of a traditionally 'weak' club

a reason to go to a game other than to get pissed and turn off for a while - his team might actually win!

Does anyone else give a stuff?!  Is this just another topic that is off-limits in Germany?

I follow the Bundesliga in detail for the last decade. Clearly, FCB is dominating the league right now, but it wasn't always like that. The newer teams like Leipzig, Hoffenheim and Freiburg do extremely well this year. FCB invested a lot in their own young players and many made it in the first team in the last decade: Müller, Badstuber, Schweinsteiger and Kroos to mention a few. The Bundeliga has a similar set up like other European countries. Leicester won the Premier League last year and they had a much smaller budget than e.g. ManU, Chelsea, ManCity and Arsenal, so it's possible.

..and as you know, Luke, Feyenoord won their first Dutch title since 1999 this weekend! It´s good for football/ sport in general  if  the same teams don´t win every year...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39915623

(by the way, Luke, what does the name Feyenoord mean? Fairy of the North?:P )

@john g.: you are well-informed as always. Yes, the fans of Feijenoord had to wait a very long time. Dirk Kuijt scored a hattrick. It was better than any Hollywood screenplay. Feijenoord refers to a name of an island in the river Maas and is also a municipalty of Rotterdam. Feijenoord is similar to Schalke 04.

Now, I look forward to Ajax against ManU in the Europe League final. Ajax has the youngest team of the entire EL with 22.5 years and play like in the good old days with Cruijff.

I used to follow it really closely and go to matches, in recent years Bayern Munich's domination has caused me to lose a bit of interest. There is something wrong when a club like Dortmund get crowds of 80 000 but can't stop their best players joining Bayern. 

There are about 6 clubs who could win the English Premier League every year, a club of Leicester's standing would never be able to win the Bundesliga.

I'm also not a big fan of the ultras and their pre rehearsed, choreographed routines, I prefer the more spontaneous witty fan culture of English football.

Luke, I didn't know about the Bayern players you mentioned who have made it into the 1st team by coming up through the ranks. I guess a club doesn't need to have truckloads of money to have a scheme like that - I presume they all do it?? All clubs in the AFL have systems like that which involve scouting for and developing young players, I believe. 

It still seems too easy for players to be bought and sold here.The movement of players from club to club is much more restricted in the AFL I believe...and anyway, whatever happened to club loyalty?. Whenever I see those ex-Dortmund players playing for Bayern I switch off to some degree, especially when they play Dortmund.

And as for what it's actually like to attend a game here, well, don't get me started! Many families go to the football together in Australia! Sounds unbelievable, doesn't it?

@Aussiedog: Not every team is equally successful as FCB with scouting and setting up a scheme for the youngsters. Ajax Amsterdam is e.g. one of the most successful teams in Europe when it comes to training and developing the youngsters. FC Porto from Portugal is also very good here. The problem here is that bigger teams in Europe buy these players, because they can earn much more abroad, so the Dutch league is downgraded to a training league for the big countries with shit loads of TV money. The fact that Ajax plays the Europe League final is, therefore, quite remarkable. I'm sure that several players will leave the team this summer and Ajax can start all over again.

Bayern München 20 points ahead of the pack on top of the table - 

HOW INCREDIBLY EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The germans love a winner. Apparently over half of german soccer fans follow Bayern. So much for the underdog.

They want the best team to win  not have an amazing upset. 

Yep. Boring as hell

1 hour ago, coolness.personified said:

Theyll be crowned meister with probably 10 rounds to go. Whats the point anymore. 

Spoken like a true fair weather fan.

14 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Spoken like a true fair weather fan.

if you would even care to analyse the post, i couldnt give a rats who wins the bundesliga. i have watched a grand total of one game in the last 10years. Havent you got some agenda to push?

1 minute ago, coolness.personified said:

if you would even care to analyse the post, i couldnt give a rats who wins the bundesliga.

That was obvious and I was being sarcastic. Sorry it didn't go over well. Of course, sarcasm rarely does.

Bayern champions...again!

So much drama, so much excitement, so much suspense ....it was unbearable!

A suggestion: just hand the friggen thing over to them at the beginning of the season next year and we can all get on with focussing on something...else.

10 minutes ago, Aussiedog said:

Bayern champions...again!

So much drama, so much excitement, so much suspense ...it was unbearable!

A suggestion: just hand the friggen thing over to them at the beginning of the season next year and we can all get on with focussing on something...else.

That was not the case 20 years ago...

It's pathetic.  They really need some sort of salary caps like the ones used for American football.  It assures that rich teams can't buy up all the stars and win year after year.

1 minute ago, Buzznut3000 said:

It's pathetic.  They really need some sort of salary caps like the ones used for American football.  It assures that rich teams can't buy up all the stars and win year after year.

I understand what you mean, but this only works to a certain extent.   Most players would rather earn maximum salary for Bayern than for another club.  Due to the history, prestige and that Munich is a better place to live compared to Wolfsburg!  

Plus the biggest problem is that while this might work for a domestic league, Bayern would have a serious problem trying to compete in European competition.  And there is no way that the German football association would want to weaken it's biggest team in Europe.  

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2018‎ ‎12‎:‎55‎:‎16‎, dj_jay_smith said:

I understand what you mean, but this only works to a certain extent.   Most players would rather earn maximum salary for Bayern than for another club.  Due to the history, prestige and that Munich is a better place to live compared to Wolfsburg!  

Plus the biggest problem is that while this might work for a domestic league, Bayern would have a serious problem trying to compete in European competition.  And there is no way that the German football association would want to weaken it's biggest team in Europe.  

I don't think you really understand how salary caps work.  Each team gets a absolute maximum they can spend on all salaries.  They can spend a ton on a few big stars or spread it out amongst all the players.  The savvy organizations usually go somewhere down the middle.  The biggest stars still get massive paydays (Am. football players earn equivalent amount to the top soccer players) it just assures a competitiveness that is completely lacking in the Bundesliga.   Owners and players both benefit from this arrangement.  Of course all the league teams (Champions, Premiere) would have to adopt it

14 minutes ago, Buzznut3000 said:

I don't think you really understand how salary caps work.  Each team gets a absolute maximum they can spend on all salaries.  They can spend a ton on a few big stars or spread it out amongst all the players.  The savvy organizations usually go somewhere down the middle.  The biggest stars still get massive paydays (Am. football players earn equivalent amount to the top soccer players) it just assures a competitiveness that is completely lacking in the Bundesliga.   Owners and players both benefit from this arrangement.  Of course all the league teams (Champions, Premiere) would have to adopt it

I don't think you really understand that this only works if all teams in Europe follow the same salary cap.

That would also mean that all countries would need the same taxation rules.

If you just introduce it in Germany, it is as dj said, Bayern would just stop being competitive.