How is living in Würzburg?

30 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Greekguest said:

My job (if everything goes good) will be at the Universitätsklinikum. I think that is not in the center of the city, am i right? And in some internet sites for accommodation, they recommend  Lengfeld, Gerbrunn, Estenfeld, Frauenland and  Heidingsfel...are they safe and good? And also I would like to ask if immobilienscount24 is site that I can trust for finding my own apartment. 

The Universitätsklinikum is in Grombühl (except for the dental departement). Public transport to there is by electric trolley (lines 1 and 5). There are 3 campuses not too far from each other. The newbuilt (maybe 4-5 years ago) on top of the hill, the "Kopfklinik" (neurology, neurosurgery, ent and ophthalmology) a few hundred meters downhill and whatever departements remained in their old buildings further downhill or on the other side of Josef-Schneider-Straße. The electric trolley hasn´t been extended yet to the new buildings so when using that you´ll still have to walk quite a bit if you have to get there.

All the areas you mentioned are safe.

11 hours ago, LostInEurope01 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong Jeba, but I would say the Frauenland is the nicest district with lots of old but renovated villas from the 20's and is essentially in the city proper -

It´s no longer as nice as it used to be when I was growing up there. Where there were meadows and dead-end roads which we used as soccer grounds there are now houses (even in what used to be our garden - sigh) and roads. Also, there is no electric trolley which means you´d have to change from bus to trolley which causes a bit of time loss.

8 hours ago, RainyDays said:

I would also recommend Sanderau, which is near the river Main, or the city centre, if it's a quiet street. Heuchelhof used to be a problematic neighbourhood, especially the high-rises had a bad reputation. Zellerau on the other side of the river Main is another rather simple neighborhood.

Sanderau and Zellerau are okay in terms of public transport as they are both serviced by electric trolley. Heuchelhof is as well, but that´s quite a long ride (I guess about than 45 min).

What is your situation? Single? family? kids? which schools should be nearby? Will you walk to work (possible from e. g. Grombühl or Lindleinsmühle), use a car, public transport, bicycle, ebike (recommended for the abovementioned new buildings)? If you tell me what you are looking for I might be able to tell you where to find it / what to avoid.

3 minutes ago, jeba said:

What is your situation? Single? family? kids? which schools should be nearby? Will you walk to work (possible from e. g. Grombühl or Lindleinsmühle), use a car, public transport, bicycle, ebike (recommended for the abovementioned new buildings)? If you tell me what you are looking for I might be able to tell you where to find it / what to avoid.

jeba I am 31-32 years old and single...so i do not care about schools etc...I will not use car and at least for the beginning I will use the public trasport...later I would like to use bicycle, but when I will learn the city.

P.S. Something irrelevant with the post...what is your relationship with Greece?I am asking because I saw that "Greece" is written below your name...

6 minutes ago, Greekguest said:

jeba I am 31-32 years old and single...so i do not care about schools etc...I will not use car and at least for the beginning I will use the public trasport...later I would like to use bicycle, but when I will learn the city.

P.S. Something irrelevant with the post...what is your relationship with Greece?I am asking because I saw that "Greece" is written below your name...

If you want to rely on public transport and bike I´d suggest either those areas already mentioned which are serviced by electric trolley or those to the East of Würzburg. E. g. Versbach, Rimpar, Gramschatz (Gramschatz already borderline for biking due to the distance), Oberdürrbach, Unterdürrbach (a bit hilly if you don´t use an ebike). Lengfeld would also be okay (but obviously less convenient than Grombühl or Lindleinsmühle), Estenfeld only  for very fit bikers as you´d have to manage quite a bit of a hill. The bus from there will be stuck in rush hour traffic.

I gave Greece as place of residence since Cyprus wasn´t offered and Greece seemed the closest match.

14 minutes ago, jeba said:

If you want to rely on public transport and bike I´d suggest either those areas already mentioned which are serviced by electric trolley or those to the East of Würzburg. E. g. Versbach, Rimpar, Gramschatz (Gramschatz already borderline for biking due to the distance), Oberdürrbach, Unterdürrbach (a bit hilly if you don´t use an ebike). Lengfeld would also be okay (but obviously less convenient than Grombühl or Lindleinsmühle), Estenfeld only  for very fit bikers as you´d have to manage quite a bit of a hill. The bus from there will be stuck in rush hour traffic.

I gave Greece as place of residence since Cyprus wasn´t offered and Greece seemed the closest match.

Cyprus?? Nice! I come from Greece, that is why I asked you!

Well, you were very informative about the different regions for accommodation! Thank you!!!

Minor correction: electric trolley = tram

Although originally trams used trolley pole to connect to the power lines, these days the word „trolley“ is associated with trolley buses (German: Oberleitungsbus, O-Bus), while in Würzburg the only electric transport is tram.

Hey!  I live here :)  Its a University town of 250k give or take...rent can vary in the city itself as always.  your best bet is roomates so they can also show your around a bit and speak german with you.  Most all of all of Everyone in Germany speaks some english, its just a matter of if they want to try or not.  Parking is a problem here if you have a car.  the streets are crap anyway.  they got public transportation, and a main trainstation hub- but no subway.  Autobahn is nearby.  Shopping is ok.

Strange people hang out at the train station like every city, and in the park at night.  I avoid theses areas at night just cause of common sense.  Nightlife is basically restaurants or bars.  Just a couple nightclubs that are mediocre in my opinion and not worth it as most people party in the city or near the river.

Good luck and hit me up if you need any more information.

Hi. My name is Romanus 23’. I’m expecting to move to Germany in Würzburg next year in February.

I have friends in Kassel who I’d love to visit regularly. At least every weekend. Are there direct routes by bus from Würzburg to Kassel? I find buses cheaper as opposed to trains since it will be regular.

And while exploring on google about the matter, I found an option for the same matter using Ride Share which was from 6€ to 15€. Anyone who knows what it is? You can please help me with any other suggestions on cheaper ways to travel to Kassel from Würzburg. Thank you

Hi. My name is Romanus 23’. I’m expecting to move to Germany in Würzburg next year in February.

I have friends in Kassel who I’d love to visit regularly. At least every weekend. Are there direct routes by bus from Würzburg to Kassel? I find buses cheaper as opposed to trains since it will be regular.

And while exploring on google about the matter, I found an option for the same matter using Ride Share which was from 6€ to 15€. Anyone who knows what it is? You can please help me with any other suggestions on cheaper ways to travel to Kassel from Würzburg. Thank you