How is living in Würzburg?

30 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

I am thinking to apply for a job at Würzburg.. Since i have never been there and know nothing about the place, i would like to know how is the life in the town. How are the people? the cost of living? If someone has experience in living in this town, is welcome to let me know!

Thank you in advance!

There's this brilliant invention called 'Google'. Just look for it on the internet and type in 'Würzburg' and lo and behold you'll find out lots of information about the place !!

But seriously, why are you thinking of applying for a job in a place that you know absolutely nothing about ?

2 minutes ago, Jonny said:

There's this brilliant invention called 'Google'. Just look for it on the internet and type in 'Würzburg' and lo and behold you'll find out lots of information about the place !!

But seriously, why are you thinking of applying for a job in a place that you know absolutely nothing about ?

Dear Jonny,

Really there is google??Oh my God, i did not know it.. So if you didn't want to answer properly to my post, you had just to ignore it. 

Just for clarificaiton,  i am interesting about people who lived there to tell me their experiences...google has only general information.

And also, i look the objectives and the perpectives of a job...it fits really to my qualifications and research interests...that's why i thing to apply even i do not know the place...Besides, is it possible to know all the places???

Oh God, helpful Toytown strikes again.

1 hour ago, Jonny said:

This is the definition of the stupid question.

1 hour ago, Greekguest said:

I am thinking to apply for a job at Würzburg.. Since i have never been there and know nothing about the place, i would like to know how is the life in the town. How are the people? the cost of living? If someone has experience in living in this town, is welcome to let me know!

I live 250 km far from Würzburg, but also in Franconia. Have been there many times, but never stayed for longer. So, my views are subjective:

1. It is very beautiful;

2. In the center of wine producing region of Bavaria. The beer is produced as well.

3. Food: typical Bavarian/Franconian

4. Transportation: a car is needed to go out of town (good motorway connection to anywhere), otherwise no car needed.

5. People are ok.

6. One of the safest regions in Germany.

7. Cost of living ok.

Downside: you can find it a bit provincial. But you can and should go out of town.

OK, so my reply was a bit sarcastic, but my point was that if you look at just the Wikipedia entry for Würzburg you will find nearly everything that you've just written down.

Wuerzburg_Wiki

So why doesn't the OP at least make a start in investigating his possible new home instead of coming on here and asking strangers for their opinions ? At least then he wouldn't be starting from a position where he knows nothing about it.

11 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

I live 250 km far from Würzburg, but also in Franconia. Have been there many times, but never stayed for longer. So, my views are subjective:

1. It is very beautiful;

2. In the center of wine producing region of Bavaria. The beer is produced as well.

4. Transportation: a car is needed to go out of town (good motorway connection to anywhere), otherwise no car needed.

5. People are ok.

7. Cost of living ok.

Downside: you can find it a bit provincial. But you can and should go out of town.

11 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

1. It is very beautiful;

5. People are ok.

7. Cost of living ok.

Thank you very much for your helpfull information!!!

Do you know if you can communicate in english there? I speak german, but of course i need practice, so i was wondering if, at least at the beggining, can someone use the english language?

5 minutes ago, Jonny said:

OK, so my reply was a bit sarcastic, but my point was that if you look at just the Wikipedia entry for Würzburg you will find nearly everything that you've just written down.

Wuerzburg_Wiki

So why doesn't the OP at least make a start in investigating his possible new home instead of coming on here and asking strangers for their opinions ? At least then he wouldn't be starting from a position where he knows nothing about it.

Sorry but you were sarcastic...I think that it is not bad just to ask others about their personal opinion about the town...from people who lived there long-term or short-term...they are just opinions, which offers some insights at the life of the city!

Wikipedia and Google, as i told you, had lots of general information, which are helpfull for someone who just want to visit the city..not to live there..

But ok! Thank you again that you replied, even if we had different opinions...

16 minutes ago, Greekguest said:

Do you know if you can communicate in english there? I speak german, but of course i need practice, so i was wondering if, at least at the beggining, can someone use the english language?

If you speak basic German and English, there will be no communication problem. It is a middle sized town, so finding e.g. an English speaking doctor will not be a problem. I came to Franconia with no German, survived. Sometimes sign language was required :)

4 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

If you speak basic German and English, there will be no communication problem. It is a middle sized town, so finding e.g. an English speaking doctor will not be a problem. I came to Franconia with no German, survived. Sometimes sign language was required :)

That is really nice and such a relief!!

Really thank you once again!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hi,

I've lived in and around Wue for about 30 years and  I agree with yourkeau on all points. Pretty, liveable, many speak English (but not all!), etc.  I would like to amend the transportation aspect a bit in that getting to the next major towns i.e. Frankfurt, Nuernberg, Schweinfurt is fairly uncomplicated by train.  When on a work schedule, using public transportation for the immediate outlying villages is nice (bus).  Anything outside the immediate area and work schedule, well, sorta sucks.  I currently live about 25km south of Wue in the state of Baden-W which makes it trying to use public transportation, an adventure (to be nice).

You might find the locals a bit offish (DE: unnahbar), but if you dive into their "world", someone will usually step up show you the ropes, so to speak.  It is a "Franken" we are talking about here which maintains a certain bit of local pride - the locals are often apt to inform you that they are from Franken not Bavaria.  It is in jest, sort of, but maybe you get the picture.  It is a also university town with a lot of pubs and activities around the student scene, so if your a of the younger generation then you will probably have a good time ;-).

Ask away if you have further questions.

Thank you very much LostInEurope01!!

Well, I am 31, and I prefer to combine a quite city but with lots of options/alternatives (e.g. activities) to spend my time...so I think that according to what you said, i will have good time!

What about the issue for accommodation? Is it difficult to find an apartment?But I mean not a WG...

15 minutes ago, Greekguest said:

hat about the issue for accommodation? Is it difficult to find an apartment?But I mean not a WG...

Depends on your budget. Würzburg itself is expensive, but if you´re willing to move to the surrounding smalltowns/villages this changes a lot. E. g. in Arnstein you can rent for less than € 5 /sqm and still have public transport. Würzburg is my hometown and I used to live there for 45 years. My son is still studying there. So if you have specific questions just ask.

If you don´t want to have a car I´d recommend an ebike as Würzburg is surrounded by hills which make bicycling a bit uncomfortable unless you´re very sporty. In which area is your job? Check available public transport options before renting as otherwise your commute will be unpleasantly long. Living along the electric trolley lines will make public transport easier as they to a large extend don´t have to compete with cars and are given priority at traffic lights where they have to. It´s easy to make contact with locals if you join a club. There are lots to choose from.

Each Wednesday and Saturday you can buy free-range meat (pork and poultry) at the market (just in case you hate factory farming).

13 hours ago, jeba said:

In which area is your job? Check available public transport options before renting as otherwise your commute will be unpleasantly long.

Thank you very much jeba for your information. 

My job (if everything goes good) will be at the Universitätsklinikum. I think that is not in the center of the city, am i right? And in some internet sites for accommodation, they recommend  Lengfeld, Gerbrunn, Estenfeld, Frauenland and  Heidingsfel...are they safe and good? And also I would like to ask if immobilienscount24 is site that I can trust for finding my own apartment. 

FYI: https://correctiv.github.io/rent-prices-germany/rents-map-iframe.html

Just to get a basic idea where the prices are.

Correct me if I'm wrong Jeba, but I would say the Frauenland is the nicest district with lots of old but renovated villas from the 20's and is essentially in the city proper - you can then imagine what the prices most probably will be.  The other districts are farther out and certainly cheaper.  Estenfeld is a very nice and rapidly growing community in itself with a good local infrastructure, but much farther out. You might want to look into Heuchelhof as well, as it has a good tram connection (lot's of foreigners though :-D).  Lengfeld is the district where the clinic is located and is a bit urban for my taste.  If you find something there then you might be able to simply walk to your workplace without having to pay for regular transportation. You can find the odd small and cheap student apartments there (Grombühl), but the emphasis is on small.

These are some sites that I have used in the past:

https://www.immobilienscout24.de/Suche/S-T/Wohnung-Miete/Bayern/Wuerzburg-Kreis?enteredFrom=one_step_search

https://www.immowelt.de/liste/wuerzburg/wohnungen/mieten?sort=relevanz

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-wohnung-mieten/wuerzburg/anzeige:angebote/c203l7667r10

The rules/law for using a realtor changed in DE a couple of years ago.  In the past the person searching paid a fee for a successful search.  With the change the offering instance (landlord) pays for a successful contract.  Some realtors might still try to use the old method, especially if you seem uninformed, FYI.  I say because many of the offers in the above links are from agencies that might require a signature from you before providing you the contact information.

Very informative and very helpfull your post LostInEurope01 :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I will do my research in the areas you suggested in order to obtain insights about the appartments and the prices

On 11.5.2017, 11:07:33, Jonny said:

Wuerzburg_Wiki

Johnny, did you get out of bed the wrong side?  Yourkeau's response was really good and helpful. 

If someone based abroad can't ask English-speakers on a local website what their views of a town are, then what is the point of this website?

The advantage of asking about opinions of city x on this forum is that there's a better chance of finding people with firsthand experience of actually living there and being able to ask more specific questions. One always has to keep in mind that these opinions are subjective though.

Having studied in Würzburg (ages ago), I'll echo what others have said and recommend this small city for someone who wants a good quality of life, but doesn't need the fast-paced, exciting vibe of a big city. In some aspects, Würzburg has a small-town feeling to it, but in a positive way. The fact that it has a university (AFAIK renowned for its medical faculty) with lots of foreign students saves it from being narrow-minded.

As for areas to live in Würzburg, Grombühl is where the clinics are located, Lengfeld is adjacent, a bit further out. Grombühl is okay to live, avoid proximity to railways. One of the best areas is indeed Frauenland. I would also recommend Sanderau, which is near the river Main, or the city centre, if it's a quiet street. Heuchelhof used to be a problematic neighbourhood, especially the high-rises had a bad reputation. Zellerau on the other side of the river Main is another rather simple neighborhood. Overall, one can't be too picky, because demand is higher than supply, especially for small apartments (because of the many students). Here's a map with average rent prices (don't know how accurate they are), red areas are the priciest, yellow the cheapest: Capital.de

If you plan to use public transport to get around, check the net of buses and trams at VVM and connections at Bayern-Fahrplan.

It is too pleasant to see that many people respond to my post!! Thank you all guys!! You offered me a great picture of the city and of course I couldn't find this type of information somewhere else. 

@RainyDays, that map is cool, I'll be sure to keep tha link - Thanks! 
I thought the clinic was more in Lengfeld - oops.