Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Newbie to Germany - help with tax!

14 posts in this topic

Hi,

I was wondering if somebody could shed some light on the tax situation.

I'm British & will be moving to Dusseldorf next week. The salary isn't amazing - but plenty of additional which makes up for it.

I'll be getting 2500 euro gross per month - what will that work out as after tax? And is that manageable in Dusseldorf? Like I said - I'll be earning additional commission on top of this.

I was looking into the tax situation and understand that health etc. comes out of the salary. Do I have to pay the pension / unemployment backup in the tax or can I opt out of this? Just trying to save as much money as possible and I don't require the pension or the unemployment tax.

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, garethgermany said:

Hi,

I was wondering if somebody could shed some light on the tax situation.

Since you don't give info on whether you are married or not, have kids or not, will pay church tax or not ... please use this tax calculator.

I was looking into the tax situation and understand that health etc. comes out of the salary. Do I have to pay the pension / unemployment backup in the tax or can I opt out of this?

You have to pay both, as an employee you cannot opt out. 

Just trying to save as much money as possible and I don't require the pension or the unemployment tax.

You'll have to pay it anyway. 

Gareth: to save you time, please note you MUST have public health insurance - you cannot opt for private health insurance on that salary of yours.

You will pay c. 55 per cent of the costs for that out of  your salary and your boss the rest.

1 hour ago, garethgermany said:

Just trying to save as much money as possible

Two words: Church tax...

1 hour ago, garethgermany said:

I'm British & will be moving to Dusseldorf next week. The salary isn't amazing - but plenty of additional which makes up for it.

I'll be getting 2500 euro gross per month - what will that work out as after tax? And is that manageable in Dusseldorf? Like I said - I'll be earning additional commission on top of this.

You'll receive approximately 1630€/net month (I'm assuming single, no kids, and no church tax). It is enough if you're young single, and have no dependents, however, it is probably not sufficient to make it worth moving (I hope you have sufficient savings to fund your move).

You're biggest expense is going to be rent, see if your employer is willing to help you find a place. Read a few of the threads on renting in Germany; unfurnished means that you'll need to buy your kitchen too. 

2 hours ago, engelchen said:

unfurnished means that you may need to buy your kitchen too. 

Some apartments, although unfurnished, do come with a kitchen.

2 hours ago, Allershausen said:

Some apartments, although unfurnished, do come with a kitchen.

Yup, that was the case for my flat.

You do realise you posted on a three thats almost 3 years old?

The OP has not logged onto TT since May 2017!

16 hours ago, HEM said:

You do realise you posted on a three thats almost 3 years old?

The OP has not logged onto TT since May 2017!

And logged in once to ask a question and then never came back!

But it's a great future reference, I see tons of questions on FB groups and always direct people to TT for answers

@CiaraDoran, maybe did a search for a question they had.

They found this thread and decided, to post some information here, which is better than starting a whole new thread, ok its not going to help the original OP, but it keeps the number of new threads down to find an old one and use it.