Are German Pension Contributions Transferable?

4 posts in this topic

My wife worked in Germany for 1.5 years in 2009 and 2010, and paid tax and the German equivalent of national insurance, then she returned to the UK.

Now, as she approaches retirement age, she finds she has a gap in her UK NI contributions, and will not get the full UK Basic State Pension.

Her questions are fourfold:

1. Can the state pension contributions she made in Germany be credited to her UK NI record?

2. Can she get a refund of the German state pension contributions (so she can purchase UK credits for the missing years)?

3. And if the answer to the above two questions is NO, will she be entitled to a small German pension?

4. Or is the money paid into the German system all lost money now?

Many thanks

Wibs

Hopefully one of the TT experts (John G. or Starshallow) will be along soon to help.

I doubt the money will be totally lost, but can't say for sure.

I moved from UK to DE 18 years ago and managed to transfer my UK state pension contributions / allowance to here, so maybe the other way works too, pre-Brexit?

5 minutes ago, Malt-Teaser said:

I moved from UK to DE 18 years ago and managed to transfer my UK state pension contributions / allowance to here, so maybe the other way works too, pre-Brexit?

Yes, it works the other way around too. The OP's wife can credit her years worked in Germany to her UK NI record.

Brexit doesn't come into it. Britain has this kind of agreements with many countries in the world that have nothing to do with the EU. Here is the list of all the countries:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/state-pensions-annual-increases-if-you-live-abroad/countries-where-we-pay-an-annual-increase-in-the-state-pension#countries-the-uk-has-a-social-security-agreement-with