Wrong links in notification e-mails

3 posts in this topic

When subscribing to a thread here, you have the option of being notified of new replies by e-mail. A while back Toytown Germany upgraded the message board software, and for a time the notification e-mails contained the wrong URLs.  It seems this problem has been only partially fixed.  For me (and many others, I suspect), all notification e-mails still contain the wrong URLs.  If I open them in my browser, I get a page with the following message:

Sorry, there is a problem

We could not locate the item you are trying to view.

Error code: 2S136/C

After some investigation, I believe I've discovered the cause of the problem.  The notification e-mails are sent as multi-part MIME messages, with an HTML part and a plain text part. Which part gets displayed by default (or at all) depends on the capabilities and settings of your e-mail client.  The HTML part contains the correct URLs, but URL in the plain text part is broken because it replaces the & in the URL with &.

Here's an example of the plain text part of a notification e-mail:

Hi psychonaut,

kato has posted a comment on a topic, Sozialwahl letter

Go to this post: https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/368339-sozialwahl-letter/?do=findComment&comment=3568627

-- Toytown Germany

And here's the HTML part from the same message:

Hi psychonaut,
kato has posted a comment on a topic, Sozialwahl letter

kato said:

The Sozialwahl is generally considered far too obscure and complicated for actual media coverage. If you dig into older news archives, most coverage runs in the direction of "no one knows what the candidates they vote for stand for" and "no one votes in that anyway".
Go to this post

— Toytown Germany

Could the site administrators please correct the links in the plain text version of the e-mail?

Thanks for identifying this problem.

The forum uses an off-the-shelf software product called Invision Power.

There is a newer release available, which I believe fixes the problem, so we'll upgrade to that soon.