Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Is Gallus a safe area?

7 posts in this topic

Hi All,

We moved to Frankfurt last year and are now living in an apartment in Europaviertel. We are looking to move to a house with some garden space. We found one in Gallus, near Rebstocker strasse, between Kleyer Str. and Mainzer Landstrasse. We looked at the house and it looks interesting.

We were looking at opinions about the area and found a lot of people saying that Gallus is not a highly desirable area. All the posts we found were from a few years earlier and we were wondering if anyone knows how the area is now. At first sight, the area seems pleasant enough with clean streets and houses and other buildings look well maintained.

Best Regards,

Uma

I have lived in Gallus for 8 years and struggle to understand the bad publicity it gets. The area to the north of Mainzer Landstraße has been safe for at least as long as I've lived there and it's further improved over the last few years.

Having said that, the area to the south of Mainzer Landstraße where you've found the house is not as good. My old employer paid for my flat in that very area back in the day when I moved to Germany and I was very relieved when I found another place. Dark, gloomy, full of unsavoury characters. If you got a different impression it must have improved a lot but I would still suggest that you try it out at different times of the day or indeed in the evening/late at night.

@bariboy, Thanks a lot for your feedback. This apartment is on Ackermannstrasse. Any thoughts about this area? We will take a look at it in the evening/night and see how we feel then. As I said, the first impression, during the day was not bad.

I live in Gallus apparently, but am half a block north of the HbF - essentially Bahnhofsviertel. There are drug dealers, but it's perfectly safe, maybe even because of it, because there are always cops around. Real Gallus is freagin' fine.

My old flat was on Cordierstraße, which is very close to Ackermannstraße. It wouldn't be at the top of my list, let's put it like that.

On 7.5.2017, 20:41:20, uma.e said:

@bariboy, Thanks a lot for your feedback. This apartment is on Ackermannstrasse. Any thoughts about this area? We will take a look at it in the evening/night and see how we feel then. As I said, the first impression, during the day was not bad.

@uma.e how was your experience? And if you have moved then what do you think? I am in a similar situation so would be great to get some feedback.

Sorry, I saw your message only now. We didn't rent the place. Somehow the area seemed a little gloomy with very few people out and about. I really can't put a finger on it but something off, so decided against moving in.