Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Trouble with the neighbours

92 posts in this topic

Hi,

After 2.5 years of playing the piano (and until now no complaints from anyone)my neighbours got together and wrote me a letter complaining about the amount of time I spend playing. What has really pissed me off is that they have NEVER complained before and instead of knocking on my door and talking to me about it they decided to post me a letter. They suggest that I dont play anymore on a Sunday, limit my time to no later than 18:30 in the evenings and close all my windows when I do play. Being the ballsy Brit that I am, I wrote them a very sarcastic letter back (waste of time, as the sarcasm went right over their heads) and decided to confront each of them when they arrived home. They had absolutely no shame in hiding behind their doors and when I did manage to speak to them they tried to blame each other for the letter. I'm not really too worried as legally I can play up to 8 hours a day (although I dont, its normally an hour a day) but I'm really f***** off that these w****** think they have the right to tell me what to do.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of behaviour with their neighbours? :angry:

Yes. I got notes on my windscreen ordering me to park elsewhere even though it is a communal parking bay! :angry: It was the "I've parked my car there for the last 20 years" scenario.

My german teacher got it from him too when she arrived for a lesson and dared to park her car!! "It was a curtain twitching old f*ck" she said!! With nothing better to do with his time.

I don't park there now to prevent my blood pressure going through the roof!

Then I got a note saying I parked my car facing the wrong direction...!! You just can't win with these kind of folk!

Ive had this anonymous-notes-from-neighbours thing too. When I used to live in Berlin, I once left my bike for a few minutes downstairs out in the backyard of the apartment block, whilst I went back upstairs to fetch something I`d forgot.

Lo and behold, coming back down 5 minutes later, i found some busybodying german nobody had actually put an - anonymous of course - little scrap of paper on the bike saddle saying (in german) "bicycles belong in the celler" !!!

I was tempted to leave it on the window ledge, annoted with: "and anonymous notes belong in the trash - along with their writers". But I didnt.

What is it about the germans, why do they have this problem?? Where does it come from, and what can be done about it - if anything.

Or are they just a load of incurable petty-minded little miseries. They seem to love any opportunity to criticise anything, no matter how small. And they even seem to take "joy" in pulling others up for every little thing, They even have a word for it: Schadenfreude..

It makes you think - ein krankes Volk. Krank, krank, krank...

Rick

In every German there is a Policeman trying to get out.

For some reason there is this un-dying need to tell you whats right and whats wrong, my answer is to tell them to sod off, oh, they come back with the old "Ich ruf mein Anwalt an"... let them, it'll cost them a fortune to tell you what you already have been told... beside 99% of these know-alls don't have an Anwalt, they have Rechtschütz which won't actually pay for them to send you silly expensive solicitor letters.

In every German there is a Policeman trying to get out.

Oh how I do agree! What is it with these people eh? I often get the feeling they are just waiting for you to do something wrong.

My next door neighbour (60, retired and probably bored) came over to tell me she wanted my dog to stop barking, that he was only to be allowed out in the mornings for a pee after she has got out of bed (around 9.30 - the poor dog would be crossing all four legs by then), and that her raising her outside blinds would act as a signal for this.

In other words, before I let our dog out in the garden, I have to check her windows through my living room window to see if she's up or not - I don't think!

What annoyed me more than anything about this, is that our dog only barks when another dog goes past the garden, which happens about three times a day, and indeed if the dog happens to be outside at the time. I told her I would let the kids out next time (I have three) as they make more noise than the dog does! She then told me she didn't understand my sarcasm and would have expected more understanding!

In every german a policeman trying to get out..?? Some might say its more like a little Hitler trying to get out..

To be fair, not all germans are like this - thankfully. Otherwise life here would be intolerable. It seems to be mostly old people - miserable old gits - or "Spiesser" as they say. Young people dont seem to have the affliction - not yet. But they will, they will!!

Ive heard though that the french and the dutch also tend towards this behaviour towards neighbours. So maybe not just a german thing. More a continental european problem in general??

Or maybe Brits tend to dish out their own kind of retribution for this petty mindedness that the other Europeans havn't quite got to grips with.

dont put up with nasty neighbours

nick their gnomes and hold them to ransom :)

if that dont work take up the violin (screeeeeeeech) just for self satisfaction.

some guy over the field from me plays piano and acordion and i think it sounds cool mixed with the kids shouting and the teenies revin up there mopeds kind of urban mix natural musik THE YAMSTER LOVES IT :D

i had a neighbour in our old place who complained that I parked across from his driveway and he couldn't get out. i finally told him he should buy a smart car (he drove a great big huge Mercedes) after that he ignored me.

Our new place the old couple accross the way complained bloody blue about the noise and mess, don't really blame them it was pretty bad, since then they've keep pretty much to too them selves.

I've never had a problem with any German neighbours... ever. The only problem neighbour I have is a Brit :huh:

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences, it seems we are not the only ones with miserable dicks for neighbours. Have to go now...the piano beckons :D

For those have have been to my house, you'll know that I live in a quiet neighbourhood... well it is usually quiet but theres this Brit trucky that parks his truck out side his house and starts the engine every Sunday night, no one complains tho :D , as said, I never have a problem with my neighbours :D

I live in a typical German Reihenhaus and whiel everyone else in the row of houses is perfectly OK, our direct neighbour is one of those policemen-trying-to-get-out types. The bloke is actually OK, it's just the 50-60 yr old bored housewife who gives us grief all the time.

She started off telling us what to plant and not to plant in our garden ("tried rhubarb, don't bother", that kind of thing), but now she's moved on to knocking on our door and telling us what to do. Luckily I wasn't there when she came (I would have clocked her one), but my wife (German) gave her a mouthful and since then there's been an uneasy silence over our fence.

Oh, and I've tried the sarcasm, but as we all know, Germans just do not get it. You've got to come out and say it - which can be quite difficult for a brit who's been used to getting his message across with a sarky comment.

It's the same with German humour (different topic, I know). Forget irony and sarcasm, let's have people slipping on banana skins and carrying long planks around on their shoulders hitting each other! You know, straight forward and really obvious ... [fume]

Now this thread is what the Britboard is all about. Good old fashioned moaning ... i love it.

We've just bought a property and we're in the process of renovating. Decided to chop down most of the trees in the garden. Neighbour wanted to send his lawyer round to see us becuse a twig fell on his rose bush and apparently destroyed it. Welcome to the neighbourhood!!

Joke is he was nice as pie to the wife, and agreed that the trees needed felling anyway. Maybe he's just got a thing against Brits.

Now this thread is what the Britboard is all about. Good old fashioned moaning ... i love it.
Luke,

I wish I didn't have this kind of trouble with our neighbours, and I am really trying to resist making a generalising comment like

In every german a policeman trying to get out..?? Some might say its more like a little Hitler trying to get out..

... because I'd like to think the same thing could just as well happen anywhere in GB, and that it's just "bad luck" that I've got some witch for a neighbour.

BUT ... I've noticed so many times that there is a very strong tendency here to tell people what they're doing wrong - old ladies telling you to put a hat on your baby cause it might catch a cold, people tutting when you cross the road on the red man etc.

Saying that, one thing I think you mentioned that is very true is the fact that Germans are so totally "civilised" that they will not resort to fisticuffs at the drop of a hat (like many brits). So you see the strange sight of a couple of people standing right in front of each other, shouting and bawling, threatening to call their Anwalt etc. BUT NOT TOUCHING EACH OTHER.

Amazing!

They daren't touch each other otherwise there will be fun and games with the law!!

In Frankfurt I was fortunate enough to live in a young household. All my neighbours were about my age. Very amicable and pleasant indeed!! However, my friend's neighbours, all left-overs from WWII, were right miserable old farts!! Even the younger couple across the road were whingers and moaners. I'm sorry, but if you want your peace and quiet, then DON'T LIVE IN A CITY FOR F***S SAKE!!! :rolleyes:

As for the rest of Europe, I'm really chuffed with my neighbours here. SO friendly, I hardly know them and they always say hello and actually acknowledge me (unlike my experiences in Germany). And on a more general level, when I'm out in the car and am at an impasse, if I stop and wait for the other car to come by then I can get through, 99% of the time I get a wave and a smile. Also the same goes for if I stop at a zebra crossing. Smiley happy people. Then again, perhaps they're just relieved that I DID stop! :P

I didn't think the Dutch were whingers and moaners though?

A German and his self-rightousness go together like strawberries and cream, and I pity the person who tries to get in between. The irony (which is of course lost on the Germans), is that the actually police, at least in Berlin, are the most permissive law enforcement body ever conceived. If you so desired you could go sit in the park naked and smoke a gigantic splif while watching your rotweiller, off his leash of course, take a crap on the pathway 50 meters away. And is a policeman came across this scene, if he said anything, it would probably be to compliment you on your choice of dog. Absurd.

When I moved into my present flat we had to anonymous letters within the first week (don’t understand why since it was obvious who the author was). One told me that I should no longer shake my feather duster out the window. I was annoyed be conceded the point. The other was informed me that my cats were too load when they walk. Excuse me? And just what am I supposed to do about that? Buy them little slippers? What gets me is that either of these issues, or any other issue, could be more successfully resolved by a simple face to face discussion, but they are so afraid of actual inter-personal conflict that they hide behind letters and rules (most of which do not actually exists).

In the end, the best thing to do is call them on their bullshit. If they don’t the piano, let them call the cops. If the cops actually come, maybe you can sit down and smoke a splif with them.

Ami, that was absolutely hilarious. Its stories like that which make it worth living in neurotic Germany and putting up with that kind of thing. I havent laughed like that for ages.

Seriousely, you have a point about the germans preferring to avoid face to face encounters. Also the readiness to run to a lawyer for every little thing.

No kidding, at a swimming pool in Berlin a woman doing backstroke bumped into me - but not heavily. Made some arrogant remark, most of which I didnt catch, apart from the last bit, which contained the words - to my utter amazement: "else you`re be hearing from my lawyer". I just said calmly, "if you swim backwards without watching where you`re going the chances are you`re going to bump into someone". As if I was in the wrong and she in the right for doing backstroke and not watching where she was going. After my response she said no more and swam on, maybe my english accent led her to believe I must be just a tourist, and so no chance of an Anwalt chasing after me..

All these stories of stroppy, evasive, note-writing, curtain twitching neighbours hiding behind the door peephole reminds me of that Roman Polanski film "The Tenant" set in an apartment block in Paris, anyone seen it? Although the neighbours manage to drive him pretty much to extremes!

But seriously, Ami, if I were you Id look into getting some slippers for your cats, try the local "Zoo" shop. Else you could be hearing from their Anwalt! :-))

Rich

The other was informed me that my cats were too load when they walk.

A friend of mine raised a kitten after it was rejected by its mother at the age of two weeks. As they already had a large dog, the kitten grew up into a robust cat with quite a few doggy habits, including thumping its way across the kitchen floor to its food bowl.

Luckily they lived in a detached house so no-one could hear it!