Insurance & deposit when subletting a room

25 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am renting a floor of a house (I guess I could say an apartment), of which I am subletting 1 room.

I have no issues with the tenant, but I was reading about legal topics and I though perhaps I need to do it more formal. The questions I have:

- Do I need / should I have an insurance? I think Hausratversicherung would be good but not mandatory, correct? Any other insurance I should have? (apart from Haftpflichtversicherung )

- The deposit I got from the tenant is not in a special bank account. I do not think my tenant will point that out, but just in case, am I still in time to put the money into this special bank account for deposits? What could happen if I don't?

Thanks in advance,

Re deposit: you have the same resposability as the landlord, i.e. it has to be put into a separate account that earns interest (as little as that may be.)

- Do I need / should I have an insurance? I think Hausratversicherung would be good but not mandatory, correct?

Hausratversicherung is not mandatory – and would be useless anyway because your Hausratversicherung has nothing to do with your renter, he'd need his own Hausratversicherung and/or Haftpflicht to cover damages. 

Any other insurance I should have? (apart from Haftpflichtversicherung )

- The deposit I got from the tenant is not in a special bank account.

What Uncle Nick said: you have the same resposability as the landlord. 

On 01/05/2017, 19:58:50, kender6 said:

- The deposit I got from the tenant is not in a special bank account. I do not think my tenant will point that out, but just in case, am I still in time to put the money into this special bank account for deposits? What could happen if I don't?

The deposit isn't technically yours. That's why it needs to be put in separate account (usually a joint tenant/landlord account). The reasoning for keeping that money separate from your assets is that if your assets are seized (because of debts or big trouble with the tax office) that deposit cannot be touched. As it is now, it is exposed to being wrongly considered part of your assets by a court if there is a bankruptcy or some similar financial catastrophe in your life. 

You can can still move to it a separate joint account of course. I wouldn't worry too much though. In practice, many landlords don't keep that money separate. I am a landlord and I just have deposits paid into my regular checking account. 

On 5/14/2017, 9:30:47, someonesdaughter said:

Hausratversicherung is not mandatory – and would be useless anyway because your Hausratversicherung has nothing to do with your renter, he'd need his own Hausratversicherung and/or Haftpflicht to cover damages. 

What does it means "he'd need his own Hausratversicherung and/or Haftpflicht to cover damages"?

I have my Hausratversicherung on my rented- apartment, that i rent for a limited period. The renter, coming from Berlin for a short time to my apartment, has his Hausratversicherung of his rent apartment in Berlin. What more is needed? tx.

What Uncle Nick said: you have the same resposability as the landlord. 

7 minutes ago, FreundlichM said:

What does it means "he'd need his own Hausratversicherung and/or Haftpflicht to cover damages"?

Exactly that – if he damages something, he needs an insurance. Or pay the damages of his pocket. 

Your insurance does not cover his damages.

I have my Hausratversicherung on my rented- apartment, that i rent for a limited period.

And your insurance covers your damages, not someone elses. 

The renter, coming from Berlin for a short time to my apartment, has his Hausratversicherung of his rent apartment in Berlin. What more is needed? tx.

An insurance that covers his damages. Make him check whether his Berlin insurance would cover damages somewhere else ...

An the question "Does your landlord know you are subletting a room?" is still unanswered btw.

2 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

Exactly that – if he damages something, he needs an insurance. Or pay the damages of his pocket. 

Your insurance does not cover his damages.

And your insurance covers your damages, not someone elses. 

An insurance that covers his damages. Make him check whether his Berlin insurance would cover damages somewhere else ...

An the question "Does your landlord know you are subletting a room?" is still unanswered btw.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I am not the initiator of this question, i was searching for a topic that fits me.

For your question, yes, in my case the landlord knows i subletting my apartment and he asked me, "Der Eigentümer fragt mich nach dem Nachweis einer Haftpflicht und Hausratversicherung von dir. Hast du sowas?",

so i did Hausratversicherung, and i was sure it is enough, until i met your reply... Because i thought the Hausratversicherung is per-haus, not per person,

Thanks,

20 minutes ago, FreundlichM said:

Thanks for the quick reply.

You're welcome.

I am not the initiator of this question, i was searching for a topic that fits me.

Oh, sorry, I didn't realize that.

For your question, yes, in my case the landlord knows i subletting my apartment and he asked me, "Der Eigentümer fragt mich nach dem Nachweis einer Haftpflicht und Hausratversicherung von dir. Hast du sowas?",

Well, if your landlord would be happy with that, why not ;) – but

so i did Hausratversicherung, and i was sure it is enough, until i met your reply... Because i thought the Hausratversicherung is per-haus, not per person,

The Hausratsversicherung does not cover third persons in general:

"Wenn es sich beim Schadensverursacher um eine dritte Person handelt, ist grundsätzlich erst mal zu prüfen, ob nicht die Haftpflichtversicherung des Dritten für die entstandenen Kosten aufkommen muss, denn die Haftpflichtversicherung ist für die Regulierung von Schäden zuständig, die einer anderen Person zugefügt worden sind."

Roughly translated: If the damage is done by a third person (dritte Person) it has to be checked if the Haftpflichtversicherung of this third person has to cover the damage because that's the purpose of Haftpflichtversicherung - covering damages inflicted to another person (you in this case).

"Als dritte Person gilt, wer nicht zu dem Haushalt hinzugerechnet werden kann und somit nicht über die Hausratversicherung mit abgedeckt ist, die den Haushalt versichert, in welchem der Schaden verursacht worden ist. Zu diesem Personenkreis zählen in der Regel der Ehepartner und die Kinder."

Roughly: 'Third persons' are those that are not members of the household and therefore not covered by the Hausratversicherung. Spouses and kids are covered because they are part of the household. 

Source: http://www.finanzvergleich.de/hausratversicherung/dritte-als-schadensverursacher.html

To be on the safe side: Have a look at your insurance conditions who is covered and who not or call your insurance company on monday and ask them about it. 

2 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

You're welcome.

"Wenn es sich beim Schadensverursacher um eine dritte Person handelt, ist grundsätzlich erst mal zu prüfen, ob nicht die Haftpflichtversicherung des Dritten für die entstandenen Kosten aufkommen muss, denn die Haftpflichtversicherung ist für die Regulierung von Schäden zuständig, die einer anderen Person zugefügt worden sind."

Roughly translated: If the damage is done by a third person (dritte Person) it has to be checked if the Haftpflichtversicherung of this third person has to cover the damage because that's the purpose of Haftpflichtversicherung - covering damages inflicted to another person (you in this case).

"Als dritte Person gilt, wer nicht zu dem Haushalt hinzugerechnet werden kann und somit nicht über die Hausratversicherung mit abgedeckt ist, die den Haushalt versichert, in welchem der Schaden verursacht worden ist. Zu diesem Personenkreis zählen in der Regel der Ehepartner und die Kinder."

Roughly: 'Third persons' are those that are not members of the household and therefore not covered by the Hausratversicherung. Spouses and kids are covered because the are part of the household. 

Source: http://www.finanzvergleich.de/hausratversicherung/dritte-als-schadensverursacher.html

To be on the safe side: Have a look at your insurance conditions who is covered and who not or call your insurance company on monday and ask them about it. 

I will do just that!! (found out by the insurance company)

Thanks for the detailed and effective reply!

2 minutes ago, FreundlichM said:

You're welcome & good luck!

1 minute ago, FreundlichM said:

one more question, if we on it,

what is 'Hausratsversicherung' compare to 'Haftpflichtversicherung'?

Actually the subletting person (from Berlin) asked asked for Hausratsversicherung, so i just did it, costed around 50 Euro...

8 minutes ago, FreundlichM said:

one more question, if we on it,

what is 'Hausratsversicherung' compare to 'Haftpflichtversicherung'?

Hausratsversicherung covers all the things in your household if damaged by fire, tap water, storm, hail, burglary, robbery and vandalism. And it covers additional costs as the professional disposal of burned furniture, transport/storage of your belongings while your flat gets renovated etc.

Haftpflichtversicherung covers all damages that you inflict on a third party – e.g. if there's a fitted kitchen in your flat and you damage it, that damage done by you to your landlord would be covered.

Haftpflichtversicherung (private liabilty insurance) is a 'must have' in Germany!

29 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

Hausratsversicherung covers all the things in your household if damaged by fire, tap water, storm, hail, burglary, robbery and vandalism. And it covers additional costs as the professional disposal of burned furniture, transport/storage of your belongings while your flat gets renovated etc.

Haftpflichtversicherung covers all damages that you inflict on a third party – e.g. if there's a fitted kitchen in your flat and you damage it, that damage done by you to your landlord would be covered.

Haftpflichtversicherung (private liabilty insurance) is a 'must have' in Germany!

Thanks,

So, i assume i need to do two  -

1. make Haftpflichtversicherung, as i do not have it.

2. make sure my Hausratsversicherung covers damages done by the short time renter.

Did I get it right?

1 hour ago, someonesdaughter said:

You're welcome.

Roughly: 'Third persons' are those that are not members of the household and therefore not covered by the Hausratversicherung. Spouses and kids are covered because they are part of the household. 

Very good post and just to add something not everyone knows- these days, a " family " household or personal liability insurance/ private Haftpflichtversicherung does NOT mean insured person A has to be married to insured person B.

They can be unmarried partners, lovers, non-lovers, enemies - whatever!😆 It's the address that counts!

1 minute ago, john g. said:

Very good post and just to add something not everyone knows- these days, a " family " household or personal liability insurance/ private Haftpflichtversicherung does NOT mean insured person A has to be married to insured person B.

They can be unmarried partners, lovers, non-lovers, enemies - whatever!😆 It's the address that counts!

Make Love, No War!

On 17.6.2017, 14:21:19, FreundlichM said:

Thanks,

1. make Haftpflichtversicherung, as i do not have it.

ASAP. ;) @john g. is one of TTs resident insurance brokers, he might help you to find a good one.

On 17.6.2017, 14:21:19, FreundlichM said:

2. make sure my Hausratsversicherung covers damages done by the short time renter.

Did I get it right?

Yup.

On 17/06/2017, 14:21:19, Guest said:

Thanks,

Did I get it right?

Hi,

Is it really possible to find Hausratsversicherung with covering during the sublet of the apartments to subtenants? 

I asked 2 insurance brokers and both of them said that it covers only your personal belongings during and only if you live in the apartments.