is Erlangen the right one ?

29 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, LenkaG said:

No, read again. 

Based on my experience, this is absolutely spot on. Language issues are a major problem and job opprtunities in university departments only become available to students who have made themselves known to research staff, so not in the first year. 

Right I apologise then if thats what she means. I thought she meant that students with a part-time job can't cover their whole expenses rather than pointing out the difficulty of being able to find such a job. 

Another thing you might or might not have considered is AKHA's nationality and course choice. Studying a MINT subject means a higher number of contact hours than humanities or social sciences students have, which results in a less flexible schedule. Also, he is from Egypt and I am assuming he would be applying for a standard student visa. This comes with a limited number of semesters available to complete a course (not sure about how the immigration authorities in Erlangen choose to apply the general rules). The students who have to support themselves fully often end up studying for too long and risk not being able to complete their studies. Of course, those who have other visas/permits/are EU students can just prolong their studies. 

20 minutes ago, LenkaG said:

Another thing you might or might not have considered is AKHA's nationality and course choice. Studying a MINT subject means a higher number of contact hours than humanities or social sciences students have, which results in a less flexible schedule.

So much this. "Having to work during term time" is a major reason for students failing their exams (as often they don't even make the prerequisites) in these subjects.

On 29/04/2017, 17:32:01, AKHA said:

I didnt understand the last part,do you mean that you haven't met a foreign student like that before or you have met ?!

I know many foreign students (and have spoken to them about finances) and none of them have been able to earn enough to cover all their expenses when they first arrive. Some manage to find jobs after living here a few months and some don't ever manage to find steady jobs. Foreign students are also only allowed to work 120 days/calendar year. 

In Germany it is relatively easy to get a spot in engineering, however, the first year is brutul and it is normal for about 30% of all students to fail the first year. Those who fail are the ones who underestimate the workload and many would be capable of finishing an engineering degree in other countries. You will need to devote many hours to studying if you want to pass your classes and you won't have enough time to work that much. 

Furthermore, the dropout rate for foreign students studying for bachelors degrees is around 40%.

Studying in Germany is a waste of money if you don't end up finishing your degree; your chances of graduating are much higher if you don't have to worry about money all the time. I would highly recommend that you first save enough money for at least the first 18 months before moving. You can also try applying for scholarships. 

I would recommend that you read the following articles:

https://www.daad.de/der-daad/daad-aktuell/de/36511-neuer-rekord-ber-00-000-auslaendische-studierende-in-deutschland/

http://www.spiegel.de/lebenundlernen/uni/studienabbruch-jeder-vierte-bachelorstudent-bricht-studium-ab-a-971349.html

http://www.tagesspiegel.de/wissen/hochschulen-auslaender-brechen-oefter-studium-ab/5924264.html

2 hours ago, Atrag said:

There is a large disparity between east and west Germany so it maybe it is an idea to look in the east. I have a friend that rents a very small studio apartment for 150 euros a months in a small city in the east.  Then again in such places it is difficult to find work there. 

Studying in the East can be a great way to save money for those who have the funds. Unfortunately, I also know many foreign students who haven't been able to find any jobs in places like Cottbus and end up commuting 2 hours by train to Berlin to work for minimum wage. 

2 hours ago, Atrag said:

If you read Engelchen's profile you will realise that she enjoys being harsh to people. She said that she has never met a foreign student that works to support themself without any other income - I guess she hasnt met many students then! 

The problem is with your reading comprehension skills. That is not what I wrote. Moreover, as a foreign student requiring a study permit, the OP is not in a position to scam the system like you. 

Actually I've met well over 400 students during and after my studies through an international student organisation, where I still occasionally volunteer. Financing is a problem faced by most of the students that I've met and many students with whom I've spoken have said that they wouldn't have chosen Germany if they had received accurate advice before moving here. 

"with a part-time job" could have been referring to either the student or "cover". Student with a part-time job is a far more comment expression than covering expenses with a job. By yes yes dear you're right I am scum and you are amazing.

10 minutes ago, Atrag said:

"with a part-time job" could have been referring to either the student or "cover".

Surely not with the word order used? :huh:

10 minutes ago, Atrag said:

yes yes dear you're right I am scum and you are amazing

Nobody called you scum. Nobody called themselves amazing. Everyone in this thread conducted themselves in a perfectly civil manner until you arrived. 

2 hours ago, LenkaG said:

Studying a MINT subject means a higher number of contact hours than humanities or social sciences students have, which results in a less flexible schedule.

I agree.

Also, studying engineering in a German university is hard, especially for someone whose schooling wasn't in German.

Engineering courses tend to filter out students by very hard exams after the first year, there is no "spare" time left in which to work, you need all your time and energy just to pass those exams, for details please see the last part of this post:

On 4/29/2017, 5:53:35, AKHA said:

I might look for a flatshare if this is true but I've seen many good 1 room apartments under 300 euros in WG-gesucht.com.As mentioned before the uni offers like a discount for its students to be 30-60 euros.So what other cities do u recommend if u think that Erlangen is consiered to be expensive ?!

If you want to study in Erlangen, then you should stay in Erlangen. Erlangen is also fairly international so a lot of the courses are done in English.