10 Things - one's a lie

83 posts in this topic

I thought this might be a bit of light-hearted fun here, the idea is to post 10 supposed facts about things you've done but one is false.

In my case it's a case of 10 cars I've driven, although one's not true, anyone care to guess which one?

Rover 2000TC
Vauxhall Viva
Mini Cooper
Fiat 595 Abarth Competizione
Formula Ford single seater
Lotus Esprit Turbo
Ford Capri 1300
Nova kit car, as used in Pink Panther TV cartoon series
Humber Sceptre
VW Jetta GTi

Whoever guesses correctly should then post their own "10 Things".

No, many years ago I was considering buying one and took one for a test drive.

Just in case you don't know what they are.

The reason I didn't buy is that they're useless unless they have a dropped floor pan and that one didn't.

So many interesting cars and VW Jetta. It seems you haven't driven this one.

OK, in full:

Rover 2000TC - actually my first car at age 17. All my friends were into Minis so I chose a big Rover. Great old car but a sod to keep the carburettors balanced.

Vauxhall Viva - My Dad's car that I learned to drive in on a disused airfield at age 16, a year before I was allowed a provisional license.

Fiat 595 Abarth Competizione - A consideration that I test drove last year when I was looking for a new car and eventually bought my RS Trophy.

Formula Ford Single Seater - Great fun at Mallory Park some 29-30 years ago.

Lotus Esprit Turbo - my last privately owned car in UK before I got company cars.

Ford Capri 1300 - yes, owned one many moons ago.

Nova kit car - amazing little thing that I test drove and considered buying, also ages ago. You get in and out by the roof lifting.

Humber - never owned it but a friend bought one and I collected it for him.

VW Jetta GTi - first company car 1988.

Well done Uncle Nick, spot on. In fact I've never driven any Mini let alone the Cooper.

Now you give us a "10 Things", obviously they don't have to be car related.

@Malt-Teaser I would say you missed something if you haven't driven Mini Cooper till now :D

I found Mini Cooper a very nice and stable car. It was my first fully owned car. I had Mini Cooper S 2007 model when I used to live in Leeds and it was quite fun to drive, powerful enough to go on long journeys and quite easy to maneuver and park withing city :)

Now I am in Munich and I bought a Mini Countryman 2013 model couple of months ago and I am enjoying it till now.

I think Mini's are overall a nice car brand to try once in your lifetime :)

On the first day at one of my schools I punched somebody in the face.

I have never cheated in an exam.

I took my French O-level one year early.

I studied law for 1 year.

I spoke almost fluent Russian after spending 2.5 months in Russia.

I was good at field hockey.

I was second best at the high jump in my last year at primary school.

On a school trip a factory worker at Hennesy offered to fill my water bottle with Cognac.

I didn't prepare for my German oral exam properly but managed to scrape through.

I was caught shoplifting when I was about 5.

Last year I was looking for a new (or used) car and a Mini Cooper S JCW was on my shortlist. Sadly the attitude of the BMW dealer prevented me from trying one and caused it to be removed from my list.

The 595 Comp was great fun. A Kia GT was surprisingly good. The Fiesta ST was fun but definitely not for me.

In the end I bought a new Renault Clio RS Trophy, a stunning car that just makes me smile each time I get in it.

5 minutes ago, VickyMunich said:

@Malt-Teaser I would say you missed something if you haven't driven Mini Cooper till now :D

I found Mini Cooper a very nice and stable car. It was my first fully owned car. I had Mini Cooper S 2007 model when I used to live in Leeds and it was quite fun to drive, powerful enough to go on long journeys and quite easy to maneuver and park withing city :)

Now I am in Munich and I bought a Mini Countryman 2013 model couple of months ago and I am enjoying it till now.

I think Mini's are overall a nice car brand to try once in your lifetime :)

Is Malt-Teaser talking about the original Mini-Cooper?. That was fun. The latest is too big, too posh and IMO too expensive for what it is.

6 minutes ago, Uncle Nick said:

On the first day at one of my schools I punched somebody in the face.

I have never cheated in an exam.

I took my French O-level one year early.

I studied law for 1 year.

I was good at field hockey.

I was second best at the high jump in my last year at primary school.

On a school trip a factory worker at Hennesy offered to fill my water bottle with Cognac.

I didn't prepare for my German oral exam properly but managed to scrape through.

I was caught shoplifting when I was about 5.

Good at field Hockey. Just about everyone gets caught shoplifting as a kid. Part of growing up.

I really hate the new big Minis, I would have considered one of the previous (not so big) generation.

Meanwhile, back at Uncle Nick's school and language antics .... I'm wondering about his high jumping claims?

10 minutes ago, Uncle Nick said:

I will take a guess at this one

I fondly remember my tartiest car ever...a 1991 red Lotus Elan like this...

IMG_4543.JPG.afc18cdd765d14790e68d40d4a4

I worked for a great IT company back then.  My boss was a genius and very frivolous.  He wanted all his staff to enjoy whatever car they wanted. We changed cars often.  I also liked the Alfa Romeo Spider and Audi Quattro.

Maybe now I'm 50 and past the sensible kid carrying years, I should regress to my 20's? :D

@LeCheese: try again. On the last day of that stay I aksed a soldier for a light in Russian and he answered in English but then apologized and we continued our conversation in Russian.

1 minute ago, emkay said:

I fondly remember my tartiest car ever...a 1991 red Lotus Elan like this...

IMG_4543.JPG.afc18cdd765d14790e68d40d4a4

I worked for a great IT company back then.  My boss was a genius and very frivolous.  He wanted all his staff to enjoy whatever car they wanted. We changed cars often.  I also liked the Alfa Romeo Spider and Audi Quattro.

Maybe now I'm 50 and past the sensible kid carrying years, I should regress to my 20's? :D

Mid life crisis? Dementia?

1 minute ago, Uncle Nick said:

@LeCheese: try again.

I'll stick to my personal unwritten law one guess rule

6 minutes ago, Malt-Teaser said:

I really hate the new big Minis, I would have considered one of the previous (not so big) generation.

Meanwhile, back at Uncle Nick's school and language antics ... I'm wondering about his high jumping claims?

No idea if this is really true though a few car dealers have told me that the UK built Minis have a terrible reputation for poor reliability and high repair costs. My dad mentioned it to me too as a few of the family have had Minis in the UK.  Only those models built in Austria are of very high quality and reliability. Think that includes the Countryman?