61 thoughts I had After I moved from the US to Germany

14 posts in this topic

This is SPOT ON. :):):):) Found it on Buzzfeed. 

"1. The first floor is the Erdgeschoss and the second floor is the first floor and this makes my head hurt

2. There are Aldi people and then there are Lidl people and there are no compromises." HAHAHA! 

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jameskavanaugh/bavaria-is-basically-germanys-taxas-minus-the-guns?utm_term=.rlrbq9Nv5#.wy2JeRYgM

Who did this???

Yes! But no one ever mentions the doors! What is up with the doors here! In America, when you enter a building or room, you pull the door open. Here, you push and hope no one is standing behind it

Nice one!

Also about electricity is a bit incorrect: as you move, you pay not some random sum, but exactly what the previous renter used, and in the end of the month, not in advance. The difference between their and your consumption will not be that much as soon as you do not grow marijuana, lol.

25 minutes ago, JimInGermany said:

"1. The first floor is the Erdgeschoss and the second floor is the first floor and this makes my head hurt

In many English speaking countries, it's also ground floor, first floor, second floor, just like in Germany

5 minutes ago, Tap said:

In many English speaking countries, it's also ground floor, first floor, second floor, just like in Germany

But not in the US hence the title "After I moved from the US to Germany" and it's Buzzfeed people it is suppose to make you giggle.

26 minutes ago, KayleighNC said:

Yes! But no one ever mentions the doors! What is up with the doors here! In America, when you enter a building or room, you pull the door open. Here, you push and hope no one is standing behind it

Show me a public place in Germany where the doors have to be pushed open from the outside... It is a safety regulation/law that those doors must open when (the panicking crowd) pushes from the inside.

When it comes to private places (the door to your house, the door to your apartment) it is true, that in must cases the doors have to be pushed open from the outside. And there is a pretty simple reason for that, as a door that can be pulled open from the outside also has the hinges on the outside (which would be a weak point to be attacked by an intruder/burglar).  

1 hour ago, JimInGermany said:

This is SPOT ON. :):):):) Found it on Buzzfeed. 

2. There are Aldi people and then there are Lidl people and there are no compromises." HAHAHA! 

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jameskavanaugh/bavaria-is-basically-germanys-taxas-minus-the-guns?utm_term=.rlrbq9Nv5#.wy2JeRYgM

Who did this???

i dunno, maybe you? didn't bother to look at it.

12 hours ago, yourkeau said:

Nice one!

Also about electricity is a bit incorrect: as you move, you pay not some random sum, but exactly what the previous renter used, and in the end of the month, not in advance. The difference between their and your consumption will not be that much as soon as you do not grow marijuana, lol.

I love how in Germany we pay for utilities it's very much a customer friendly payment plan like some firms offer in the UK.

I know that in 3 months time I'm not going to have a bill dropping through my door for strom which I have to cough up in 1 lump,same with nebenkosten.

The 1 thing I really don't understand though is every year in the last 17 I've got money back from Stadtwerke for the strom which has been more than 1 months payment yet the next years payment always goes up :blink:

6 hours ago, Keleth said:

The 1 thing I really don't understand though is every year in the last 17 I've got money back from Stadtwerke for the strom which has been more than 1 months payment yet the next years payment always goes up

At least since 2010 prices are drastically increasing every year, thanks to Energiewende.

They should stop increasing some time after 2035. Maybe.