A German BA in Communications, how useful is it outside of Germany?

2 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the right topic, and maybe the title doesn't make sense. Hopefully, I can clear it up and maybe a mod can move it to a more appropriate section?

I'm from Ireland, and I've been here (Berlin) for about 5 years. I recently realized I can study here in Germany (was previously under the impression I didn't have enough to get accepted into German Uni) and for a while now I've wanted to do a BA in Communications and Media.  But, of course, that course is only offered in German. Now I know my German is pretty good, I work in German, I usually don't even have an accent when I speak German and my mom is German so I spoke a mix of ENG and DE when I was very very young. Sometimes I even get confused as a German, and then Dutch or Swedish. But I really don't know how I would deal with German in an academic sense. How doable is it? Has anyone else done it, and how easy or hard was it? (Of course I know it really depends on the person and so on, but would be great to just hear some opinions)

My big question tho, is outside of Germany, how good is that BA in Comms and Media? If I was to, at some point, move to the US or the UK, would I be at a disadvantage? I guess what I'm asking is, is there something to be said about studying subjects like Comms and Media in the language you want to work in? 

The reason why I'm trying to figure out studying in Germany is because the financial support I would get here. Back in Ireland, because I've been gone for 5 years, I wouldn't get any help and student loans like here don't really exist.

So yea, I really hope some people can answer my questions and help me figure this mess out!

I have no experience with Comms or Media, so this is just my opinion based on my experience!

When hiring somebody then generally experience counts more than qualifications in a lot of cases.  Because experience shows that you have done the job (or similar) and are probably capable of doing the same for the new company.  

Qualifications are however needed in order to get your first job, because you have no experience prior to that.  So this is needed to prove that you are potentially capable of performing the role because you have proven that you have studied to a specific (high) level.  So qualifications are door openers, and once you get in your ability, attitude etc. will count more.

So, if you try and get a job in Ireland/UK/US etc. straight after studying then a German qualification might be looked upon slightly less than a qualification of the same level from that country, simply because the person hiring might not understand and know it so well.  Whereas in Germany you would not have this issue. 

Once you have some experience under your belt then this will count more and more, especially the more experience (and older) you get.

But this can vary based on the industry and qualification.  For example if you study computer science then computers are the same everywhere in the world, so this would not be an issue.  But a course in communications and media would I guess have some significant cultural differences in each country, especially where there is a different language involved.  

So even if you have experience in your chosen field you might find it more challenging to move to another country later.  This does not mean it is impossible, and it really depends on the hiring company and what they want, certainly if you speak 2 languages then this would help you.  But I think it might be more difficult for such an industry compared to some.

One idea might be to try and find a headhunter from Ireland/UK in the media/comms industry and ask them for advice.  Ask them "If I wanted a job straight out of Uni in the UK/Ireland with a German BA would I find it more difficult?  What if I also had 5 years experience in a German media company?".

They will know the industry and what it is looking for.