Opening stock trading account as a US citizen: possibilities?

24 posts in this topic

@Lindsayj just a quick comment about moving money overseas:  I was looking at moving money to Canada for investment purposes, so I did a bit of experiementation.  I found the cheapest way to wire money is through Paypal, which works really well. 1% flat rate, one side.   The other way I did it was to withdraw as much cash as one is legally allowed to bring into Canada (10000 cdn) in Germany, and then take it home with me on a visit.  Bit unnerving walking around with 10k in cash in your backpack though.  Also funny the expression on the face of the local banker 'bitte, wie viele kanadische dollar!?' I gave it to my dad who dropped it into an investment account for me over there. 

I was hoping for an update/miracle for American's trying to open a personal trading account to invest here in Germany.  Now that we are 4 months later, are there any updates to what trading sites are the best for Americans living in Germany?

I have seen references to:

Comdirect

Interactive Brokers

Some type of account with Deutsche Bank

Consorsbank

Are there any other sites?

Kind regards,

On 7/27/2018, 11:26:19, Starshollow said:

I will be writing more details during next week for both solutions, so stay tuned if you are looking for something along these lines...

@Starshollow  has there been any update on these two solutions since your last post?

12 hours ago, JayElectric said:

@Starshollow  has there been any update on these two solutions since your last post?

Nearly there --- but not there enough to be able to report something solid. Sorry. My best guess is that in late September/early October can go public with our solution for investment portfolios <100.000 EUR for US nationals living in Germany. For those with investment capital > 100.000 we already have, as mentioned before, a perfectly working solution.

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.