Electricity Bill charges

8 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I moved away from Germany at the end of February and have finally received my electricity bill. While living in my apartment I did my best to conserve energy (I lived alone) so was a bit shocked that I owe nearly 600€ . If I understood the bill correctly it says I've used 3.438.7 kWh in 8 months. In the bill I found the following line:

In diesem Nettobetrag sind 70,49 € Stromsteuer, 223,81 € EEG-Abgaben, 181,61 € Netznutzungsentgelte,
82,18 € Konzessionsabgaben, 13,85 € Netz- und Offshore-Umlage und 10,12 € für den Messstellenbetrieb enthalten.

I translated it with Google and it looks like the bulk of the bill isn't even usage. Could someone please clarify if this is normal as only 181.61€ is actual usage.

3400 kWh in 8 months is a lot!

Our consumption - 2 people in an apartment, warm water and heating with gas - was 1800kWh per year.

Now we live in a house. 2400kWh. The difference are the pumps of the heating.

The charges are correct for the amount of the bill. There's no way to avoid paying them. But as AnswerToLife42 noted, your consumption is extremely high.

I hope you read the meter when you moved in, otherwise you'll have no way to contest it.

If that really is your consumption for 8 months, and you're sure you're not running any power-hungry appliances (like a condensing clothes dryer or air conditioning), then somebody might be stealing your electricity. I'd complain to Vattenfall in any case.

As a general recommendation, anyone who is initiating or terminating service with an electricity provider should take a picture of the meter with a mobile phone and save it.  

We took over responsibility for the electricity from our landlord a couple of years ago. 

The electricity provider remained the same and we made arrangements for a final reading of the meter to insure that the charges would be apportioned correctly. 

I was able to take a picture of the meter with my phone, and it was helpful as the meter reader never showed.    We were unaware of the no-show as it was all arranged with the Hausverwaltung.      

A few months later, we noticed that we had picked up a lot of extra charges (3-4 months worth) and after 4-5 phone calls and multiple explanations of the irregularity, the vendor finally agreed to refund the money.    They had taken the charges from Jan-Apr and put them onto May and June instead of billing those four months to the old account.   They noticed that the landlord's six month bill had around 35% of the normal charges and our first six month bill was around 165% the amount it had been historically.    

The vendor complained that their mistake meant that they would need to ask our landlord to pay the adjustment which we would receive and they tried to get me to conduct the negotiation.   The vendor also told us that the meter reading was outsourced to a third party and they could not be held accountable for what the third party failed to do or failed to do correctly.   They demonstrated a complete lack of responsibility even though what had happened was totally obvious. 

8 hours ago, Gumball said:

I translated it with Google and it looks like the bulk of the bill isn't even usage. Could someone please clarify if this is normal as only 181.61€ is actual usage.

Welcome to Germany!

223,81 is a subsidy you pay to the owners of photovoltaics you might have noticed on some roofs, so that they can sell electricity for higher than market prices.

The country wants to switch off nuclear power stations and install clean energy instead. Who is going to pay for that? You and me. That's tough, but that is part of living in a democracy: the majority decides for all.

Thank you for all the answers. This is a bit worrying especially as the vendor conveniently can't find the final meter reading I submitted to them online and I was foolish enough to trust them and not hold on to it after I received email confirmation that they got it. I asked my landlord for the amount as they noted it down as well, but when I submitted that, the vendor said there was a discrepancy with the value that that they received from Stromnetz. Things get a bit more muddled at this point as I asked my landlord to clarify (my "landlord" is a rental company that owns the building) , she in turn sent me a Vattenfall bill with a different meter number on it. I guess Vattenfall is the operator, but I don't understand why the meter number would be different and why operators deal directly with landlords while vendors deal with tenants...

26 minutes ago, Gumball said:

I don't understand why the meter number would be different

Maybe because someone accidentally mixed it up? Until clarification I´d revoke the authorisation to debit your account (provided you gave it in the fiirst place) so that you don´t have to chase your money.

Agree with others your usage is way over the top (unless you e. g. used electricity for heating).