Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Neighbor nightmare

20 posts in this topic

HELP!

I am sincerely at wit's end here in Heidelberg where I live in this apartment in Emmertsgrund in a "Hochhaus" building. Sadly, I was forced to move last year after 23 years in Heidelberg just one Bushaltestelle away, but since being here, have had nothing but problems with a neighbor who is an abominable nightmare.

Long story short: she and/or someone in her apartment has made loud cracking or banging sounds constantly since I moved in, I suspect with some kind of device. Even the 66-year-old neighbor (I am almost 66 myself) BELOW me sleeps with EARPLUGS in, and even then is disturbed by the noise. I have made 17(!) written complaints to the Darmstadt company that rents this zoo, plus sat at one of the company's "meetings" with others in the apartment concerning this noise problem, and we never even got a response. That was many weeks ago, and all I have to show for it is an "Abmahnung" from the company that isn't even true.

I am American and have lived in Germany for 33 1/2 years, was a commander in the U.S. Army, and had never even imagined that such a situation would be allowed to exist. I taught English for over 11 years at a German consultancy in Frankfurt and regularly saw how connivingly and unashamedly mobbing by people who are allergic to the truth or concerned only with themselves takes place. Still, I never anticipated the kind of tortuous and highly-stressful agony this place has caused.

I have had two different lawyers at the Mieterverein, normally very helpful but slow, I suspect overworked, and often defeatist in this case. But the way agencies, bill collectors, and businesses shake down people for money here, it is sad to see that most Germans themselves are defeatist.

Sorry for the length of this, but it is only a tiny scrap compared to all the paperwork and exhaustive bureaucracy I have been forced to suffer during this ordeal. If anyone has a serious suggestion on anything I could do to get real and effective support or help, please let me know.

Thanks for reading.

Dave The Rave

HELP!

I am sincerely at wit's end here in Heidelberg where I live in this apartment in Emmertsgrund in a "Hochhaus" building. Sadly, I was forced to move last year after 23 years in Heidelberg just one Bushaltestelle away, but since being here, have had nothing but problems with a neighbor who is an abominable nightmare.

Long story short: she and/or someone in her apartment has made loud cracking or banging sounds constantly since I moved in, I suspect with some kind of device. Even the 66-year-old neighbor (I am almost 66 myself) BELOW me sleeps with EARPLUGS in, and even then is disturbed by the noise. I have made 17(!) written complaints to the Darmstadt company that rents this zoo, plus sat at one of the company's "meetings" with others in the apartment concerning this noise problem, and we never even got a response. That was many weeks ago, and all I have to show for it is an "Abmahnung" from the company that isn't even true.

I have lived in Germany for 33 1/2 years, was a commander in the U.S. Army, and had never even imagined that such a situation would be allowed to exist. I taught English for over 11 years at a German consultancy in Frankfurt and regularly saw how connivingly and unashamedly mobbing by people who are allergic to the truth or concerned only with themselves takes place. Still, I never anticipated the kind of tortuous and highly-stressful agony this place has caused.

I have had two different lawyers at the Mieterverein, normally very helpful but slow, I suspect overworked, and often defeatist in this case. But the way agencies, bill collectors, and businesses shake down people for money here, it is sad to see that most Germans themselves are defeatist.

Sorry for the length of this, but it is only a tiny scrap compared to all the paperwork and exhaustive bureaucracy I have been forced to suffer during this ordeal. If anyone has a serious suggestion on anything I could do to get real and effective support or help, please let me know.

Thanks for reading.

Dave The Rave

7 minutes ago, Dave the Rave said:

Even the 66-year-old neighbor (I am almost 66 myself) BELOW me sleeps with EARPLUGS in, and even then is disturbed by the noise.

Have you asked this neighbour to also make a complaint?

If you don´t want to move out I´d give the landlord a deadline by which I´d start reducing the rent. The Mieterverein should be able to tell you by how much.

What if they make a bomb at night?

A report to the police would be appropriate.

What kind od LEGAL activity would result in this kind of noise and at THAT hour?

I brought up this topic and my lawyer didn't encourage it at the time. Instead, he said he wrote them and gave them until tomorrow to tell him if they plan to move the horrorif neighbor out. You are right concerning MONEY getting the attention of Germans. Sometimes I think they keep a stack of euros in a room where they live and go to it each day to worship it. I will revisit this reduced rent if their response is insufficient, which I expect it to be because Germans also opt for the easy wrong rather than doing the more difficult right.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I and my neighbor did a joint complaint in accordance with the landlord's "protocol" and they have sat on it for well over a month. Tomorrow is the deadline for them to respond to my lawyer.

Yes, I brought up the topic of reducing the rent, received no encouragement from my lawyer to do that quite yet nor any response by the landlord (no surprise there). I will revisit it if the thuggish company doesn't move this horror of a neighbor out.

And yes, that neighbor of mine who joined me to complain told me the first time we met that the noise even sounded like a bomb! Coincidentally, I told the worthless Hausmeister that the perp was a terrorist, not in ISIS or al-Qaeda sense but in the sense of personally trying terrorize me with her loud banging at all hours of the day and night.

This whole deal has been like a very bad, and hard-to-believe, nightmare.

If it happens at night call the nearest police station to get your neighbor to stop it.

Call Ordnungsamt/police as often as possible. Try to get the other neighbors to join your cause. Hope the Mietverein people can help you. And definitely do reduce your rent if otherwise nothing happens.

In the end the best option is usually: move away. As bad as it sounds but these noise cases can drag on for years. Good luck.

12 hours ago, Dave the Rave said:

Long story short: she and/or someone in her apartment has made loud cracking or banging sounds constantly since I moved in, I suspect with some kind of device. 

What did the neighbor say when you confronted her about the noice?

15 hours ago, Dave the Rave said:

he said he wrote them and gave them until tomorrow to tell him if they plan to move the horrorif neighbor out.

Hard to put someone out. The neighbor only needs to stop making the noise, oder?

Now I want to know what it is she is doing. The curiosity alone would kill me.

I was in a similar situation two years ago, living in a building full of happy people until the landlord let in an entire family CLAN from Bulgaria that was living off Hartz IV (the landlord said it himself), were illegally selling metal scraps out of their assigned garage and would have constant BBQs in the middle of the parking lot (wtf), resulting in no one being able to park their cars. They didn't speak English or German, so communication with them was impossible for anyone except the landlord.

They would have loud, raucous parties with their family members nearly every night, blasting music, clinking bottles and yelling until they would pass out around 4am. They wanted absolutely nothing to do with anyone who wasn't "one of them". They would thunder through their apartment like horses and one day I went to the basement to take some garbage out and heard crying coming out of a basement room...one of them was on vacation and had locked their (unregistered, illegal) doberman in their tiny broom closet room while they were on vacation. I called the police and the landlord that day. That was the last strike. We eventually moved because looking at the neighbors just made us rage so much.

Always send your landlord letters by certified mail. Make sure you have copies of everything. Document when the noises begin. Try talking to the neighbors first and if that doesn't work, get the building involved. If that doesn't work, call the non-emergency police line and say you hear noises that concern you. Have them check it out and then see what they say. The police are actually quite helpful in such situations, they are used to dealing with them. See if you qualify for lowered rent due to the disturbances (like my former neighbors who stayed and put up with the other neighbors from hell). Find out what the source of those damn noises is!

If all else fails, move elsewhere. Find a non-high rise building that has either children or elderly couples since they go to bed early (that's what I ended up doing).

I know it will be like she has won but I would move ASAP. Life is too short. You can't change people's behaviour. Move and (hopefully!) enjoy a more peaceful flat elsewhere. Good luck!

2 hours ago, lotsofballoons said:

I was in a similar situation two years ago, living in a building full of happy people until the landlord let in an entire family CLAN from Bulgaria that was living off Hartz IV (the landlord said it himself), were illegally selling metal scraps out of their assigned garage and would have constant BBQs in the middle of the parking lot (wtf), resulting in no one being able to park their cars. They didn't speak English or German, so communication with them was impossible for anyone except the landlord.

They would have loud, raucous parties with their family members nearly every night, blasting music, clinking bottles and yelling until they would pass out around 4am. They wanted absolutely nothing to do with anyone who wasn't "one of them". They would thunder through their apartment like horses and one day I went to the basement to take some garbage out and heard crying coming out of a basement room...one of them was on vacation and had locked their (unregistered, illegal) doberman in their tiny broom closet room while they were on vacation. I called the police and the landlord that day. That was the last strike. We eventually moved because looking at the neighbors just made us rage so much.

Always send your landlord letters by certified mail. Make sure you have copies of everything. Document when the noises begin. Try talking to the neighbors first and if that doesn't work, get the building involved. If that doesn't work, call the non-emergency police line and say you hear noises that concern you. Have them check it out and then see what they say. The police are actually quite helpful in such situations, they are used to dealing with them. See if you qualify for lowered rent due to the disturbances (like my former neighbors who stayed and put up with the other neighbors from hell). Find out what the source of those damn noises is!

If all else fails, move elsewhere. Find a non-high rise building that has either children or elderly couples since they go to bed early (that's what I ended up doing).

2 hours ago, lotsofballoons said:

You can have your rent lowered because your neighbors are jerks. I didn't know this. Please elaborate.

"Cracking or banging sounds". What could this be?

I personally wouldn't put up with this for a minute, Go and bang on their door and complain. You don't need the police.

If you need to, take some beefy friends with you.