How to find a girlfriend in Munich 2017

201 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I am living in Germany for almost 3 years and shifted to Munich a few months ago for my job. I am 25 years old. I have a straight forward question as described in the title "how to get a girlfriend in Munich?"

I read a few similar posts on this forum but they are quite old and also not very helpful. Going to bar/pubs does not work for me because I am not really "the charming guy" who can pick up girl easily from clubs. Also, I want a more reliable relationship rather than the famous 'one night stands'. Before anyone points out, Tinder is also not everyone's cup of tea.

Note: To all the guys, before making fun of me by commenting down this post, please don't waste your precious time. I do not care what you say. Also, if a girl happens to read this post who is also looking for a relationship, just let me know, we can meet over a coffee or something.

LG

Samie  

Any chance you may be actually a bit dull?

Kind of seriously, if you aren't Mr Charisma (I also ain't charismatic btw) then loosen up, don't take stuff seriously, do not be afraid to look daft (I am not arraid) and girls love that. I got my German lady by making her laugh. Good luck!

Sure Jeremy, we all know how much the Germans appreciate our humour, our wit, banter along with our puns and generally enjoy a frivolous giggle. 

9 hours ago, traveltheworld said:

Hello everyone,

I am living in Germany for almost 3 years and shifted to Munich a few months ago for my job. I am 25 years old. I have a straight forward question as described in the title "how to get a girlfriend in Munich?"

I read a few similar posts on this forum but they are quite old and also not very helpful. Going to bar/pubs does not work for me because I am not really "the charming guy" who can pick up girl easily from clubs. Also, I want a more reliable relationship rather than the famous 'one night stands'. Before anyone points out, Tinder is also not everyone's cup of tea.

Note: To all the guys, before making fun of me by commenting down this post, please don't waste your precious time. I do not care what you say. Also, if a girl happens to read this post who is also looking for a relationship, just let me know, we can meet over a coffee or something.

LG

Samie  

We need some more details here.

1) How do you approach women ? What words come out of your mouth when you see a woman ?

2) What is your definition of a girlfriend ? Hold hands in the park ? Someone you can take to work functions ?

3) Why Munich ? Go to a place where picking up women is much easier.

We need to know your woman moves before giving more concrete advice, only then can we tell what you are doing wrong.

I can only offer the standard "get out there and do things you enjoy doing" bit.

There are plenty of places you might meet "Mrs Right", but if you sit at home in front of your computer, the chances are somewhat limited!

TT has lots of regular events in Munich that you might like to go along to - there is curry night, or playing badminton, or drinking beer, or almost something for anybody. In fact, if you don't like doing whatever you see listed under Events, why not arrange an evening for TTers to do whatever you love to do?

Basically, just get out there, be yourself, and have fun.

You do not have to be "the charming guy", and most guys aren't, so don't let that put you off.

The Germans have a wonderful way of putting it - they say that every pot has it's lid - you just have to find it! :D

9 hours ago, traveltheworld said:

I am 25 years old. 

Youngster!  I was 32 before I found my real girlfriend (been together 33 years now).

18 minutes ago, robinson100 said:

I can only offer the standard "get out there and do things you enjoy doing" bit.

True - and make yourself "interesting".

I was lucky enough to be taken along to a local flying club where I was introduced to the sport of gliding/soaring (I'd been an aeromodeller in the UK).

I had sort of hoped that this might lead to a girlfriend (at that time almost no females in the club, thought maybe someone's sister etc.).  Didn't work out.

However when I "bumped into" H at the lab where we had a project I'd just got my motorglider license & thus the offer of a flight up to a North Sea island (= interesting)...

The club did however provide the witnesses to our wedding.

I had previously got the impression that the fact I was a reasonable cook tended to put potential girlfriends off...

TT has lots of regular events in Munich that you might like to go along to

If you are "looking for" a German girlfriend this might not be the best way...  Being able to speak some German would be a help here.

However, if you are looking for a fellow-expat the TT method might offer possibilities.

9 hours ago, jeremy said:

Any chance you may be actually a bit dull?

Kind of seriously, if you aren't Mr Charisma (I also ain't charismatic btw) then loosen up, don't take stuff seriously, do not be afraid to look daft (I am not arraid) and girls love that. I got my German lady by making her laugh. Good luck!

Where's Spiderpigs witty reply?

As for the topic, as I said in the post about Berlin, things have a habit of happening when you don't force them and least expect them. Women have an ability of spotting when someone is out looking. It's a bit like job hunting. It's always harder to find work when you are unemployed.

2 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Why would it be "easier" anywhere else?

13 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Why would it be "easier" anywhere else?

I was thinking of Newcastle, UK,

If you can't get a girlfriend there, then something is fundamentally wrong. 

Are you working? If your company (or school for that matter) organizes BBQ or social activities, you have to attend them in order to build your new social network here. 

I met my (German) boyfriend/husband at work when I was 26, he said hello to me in the elevator. In Canada, no one says hello in the elevator. I was like WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO this guys is coming onto me!

Little did I know it means nothing special in Germany lol.

We got to know each other better via work functions and then I asked him out on a date. He was like WOOOOOOOO. Little did he know it's quite common in Canada for girls to ask guys out.

Be prepared to misunderstand signs and get a bit lost between communications if you date a German. 

47 minutes ago, vmelchers said:

Be prepared to misunderstand signs and get a bit lost between communications if you date a German. 

The communication issue is not limited between just <anyone> and Germans. 

There are enough communication issues between Americans & Brits despite having almost the same language.

1 hour ago, RenegadeFurther said:

I was thinking of Newcastle, UK,

If you can't get a girlfriend there, then something is fundamentally wrong. 

Not from Newcastle but can only say this is 100% correct. Go to the big market on the weekend and see what you wake up with*. 

Now, who or what you find, or finds you, can differ... The OP may not be able to understand what people are saying. Maybe try Glasgow?

*Disclaimer, I have never done this, can be dangerous and can lead to OFSWITAWHID syndrome.

52 minutes ago, vmelchers said:

Good advice and a bit of an understatement...

4 minutes ago, HEM said:

The communication issue is not limited between just <anyone> and Germans. 

There are enough communication issues between Americans & Brits despite having almost the same language.

But we are nice and don't make too much fun of our American friends.

I always assumed this is the problem with Trump, he says he slapped a women on the fanny and the English go WTF!!

4 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

I always assumed this is the problem with Trump, he says he slapped a women on the fanny

Sorry to be pedantic but he said 'pussy' which means the same thing both sides of the Atlantic - unlike fanny :P

3 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Sorry to be pedantic but he said 'pussy' which means the same thing both sides of the Atlantic - unlike fanny :P

Fake news and alt-facts... You took my post far to literally ;-)

1 hour ago, vmelchers said:

he said hello to me in the elevator. In Canada, no one says hello in the elevator.

That could explain a few things with the USA as well :)

One morning some years ago when I entered a hotel elevator in Burlington / Boston a young lady looked at me & said "how are you this morning" to which I truthfully replied "I slept badly & have a terrible headache".  This was clearly not the required answer :(

I'm no good @ small talk.

4 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

We need some more details here.

1) How do you approach women ? What words come out of your mouth when you see a woman ?

2) What is your definition of a girlfriend ? Hold hands in the park ? Someone you can take to work functions ?

We need to know your woman moves before giving more concrete advice, only then can we tell what you are doing wrong.

Heartfelt advice from the normally-grizzled-Scot.  I am impressed.

Now all we need is a reference to Jockland. 

RF - what normally works with the Lassies?  (Given that this turning into that kind of thread.)

2 minutes ago, More tea, Vicar? said:

RF - what normally works with the Lassies?  (Given that this turning into that kind of thread.)

I have been out of the dating game for so long, I would not know.

4 minutes ago, More tea, Vicar? said:

what normally works with the Lassies? 

How about asking - 'do you want to go halfers on a bastard ?'

** This might get you a smile or a punch in the face.