UK general election - 8th June 2017

307 posts in this topic

UK PM Theresa May announces plan to call snap general election on 8 June.

She said Britain needed certainty, stability and strong leadership following the EU referendum.

Justifying the decision, Mrs May referred to Brexit, saying: "The country is coming together but Westminster is not."

There will be a Commons vote on the proposed election on Wednesday.

Explaining her change of heart on an early election, Mrs May said: "I have concluded the only way to guarantee certainty and security for years ahead is to hold this election."

BBC

Who saw this coming ?

You trigger Article 50 then waste 3 months fighting a General election.

Complete madness.

1 hour ago, RenegadeFurther said:

You trigger Article 50 then waste 3 months fighting a General election.

Reminds me of a somewhat sarkastic saying (I think by "Professor" Jimmy Edwards): If you have a problem - make it into a bigger one - then you see the answer.

Wasn't there a law change proposal to finally allow Brits long time abroad to vote in General Elections? Did anything ever come of that in the end, or does voting eligibility remain unchanged?

This was a Guardian news article about it:

Expats to get vote for life in UK general elections, government says

Britons who have settled overseas permanently are to be given a “vote for life” in British general elections, the government has announced.

The current 15-year limit will be scrapped as part of a bid to strengthen ties with expats abroad following the decision to leave the EU.

The plans, which will have to be ratified by both houses of parliament, were announced on Friday by Chris Skidmore, the minister for the constitution, and follow a campaign by the second world war veteran Harry Shindler.

I haven't heard that this has been ratified yet.

Electoral commission still says there's a 15 year cut off:

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/faq/voting-and-registration/can-i-still-vote-if-i-move-overseas

So does gov.uk:

https://www.gov.uk/voting-when-abroad

4 minutes ago, HEM said:

You change "https" to "http" & enter a blank line afterwards viz:

What's a blank line and where do I put it?

May still needs 2/3 to call the General Election.

If I was a Labour MP I almost certainly would not be voting for a General Election.

It's a cynical decision on her part...in fact, entirely in character with Tory tactics for a fair old while. This is bad news for those of us who were hoping for a "sensible" outcome from EU negotiations (us allowed to stay here, continuing free trade between the UK and EU etc, albeit at some cost to the UK). I'd guess the timing has less to do with domestic politics and more to do with posturing for EU negotiations. Whilst this will massacre the Labour party, that would have been true 6 months ago, or for that matter 6 in six months time. As she has no domestic opposition (in terms of seats, the SNP's can't perform much better than last time out and may even do worse, the lib dems may gain a couple in west London but will continue to lose the pro-Brexit south west of England, and total numbers will probably remain negligible...and the electoral system takes care of everything/one else) there is, politically speaking, little for her to lose. She can now go to the country effectively asking for a mandate which allows her to walk away with no deal if she or her back benchers don't like the way things are going. Tory re-election on that basis, will send a clear message to the other EU leaders that she has no need to bluff about walking away. Of course, whether that actually bothers them is another matter.... I doubt it will. I can't imagine either the Scottish or Northern Irish would be particularly happy with this either.

Corbyn has announced he will support the motion! Talk about turkey's voting for Xmas.

3 minutes ago, dstanners said:

politically speaking, little for her to lose.

There is a huge amount for her to lose. The reason Brexit happened was because the old (over 50´s) decided to vote and the young generation stayed at home.

Will it happen again ?

Image result for Brexit I vote, we did not vote

The reason there's nothing for her to lose is not because of Brexit, but because of her lack of domestic opposition. The idea that the 49% remain voters (and some leavers) will all vote "non-Tory" is flawed, due to the absence of a credible domestic alternative...and I write this as someone who would desperately like that alternative. From my recent discussions with other folk from the UK and visits back there, the EU issue is not the top domestic priority. There seems to be an understandable (albeit in my opinion wrong) belief that things with the EU will just sort of work themselves out without too much upheaval, based solely on the premise that the past year has gone relatively smoothly. 

2 minutes ago, dstanners said:

The reason there's nothing for her to lose is not because of Brexit, but because of her lack of domestic opposition. 

Correct.  The only reason she is doing this is take full advantage of a the historic low-level of support for the loopy labour party under Corbyn.

She'll win back seats in Parliament and have a lot less bother over the next two years getting on with Brexit, because the Tories will for the most part do what she says or be "whipped".

Ironically, I renewed my permission to vote from abroad last week.  It was expiring a year on from when I voted in the Referendum.  I only renewed it because I still can (>15 years abroad).

I have absolutely no reason to  vote in June, nonetheless, because I certainly won't be voting for Corbyn and I don't need to lend a vote to the Tories. Don't want to after this current lot won Brexit, to my horror and ongoing sadness.

7 minutes ago, dstanners said:

The reason there's nothing for her to lose is not because of Brexit, but because of her lack of domestic opposition. The idea that the 49% remain voters (and some leavers) will all vote "non-Tory" is flawed, due to the absence of a credible domestic alternative...and I write this as someone who would desperately like that alternative. From my recent discussions with other folk from the UK and visits back there, the EU issue is not the top domestic priority. There seems to be an understandable (albeit in my opinion wrong) belief that things with the EU will just sort of work themselves out without too much upheaval, based solely on the premise that the past year has gone relatively smoothly. 

I for one think that the reason she called the General Election was because of the Scottish referendum. If May can get some MP´s of the SNP she will use that as an excuse for stopping indyref2. She will also face up against the Lib Dems in London. If she loses London she loses her majority.

Look at what happened at Richmond Park.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-38178486

If the Lib Dems can over turn a 23015 majority, why do you think May has no or lack of opposition ?