Bringing prescription drugs to Germany?

42 posts in this topic

There are several medications I have used for many years in Turkey which don't require any prescription to buy, however here they do. I am just wondering what would happen if I was caught bringing them into the country? Is it just a case of them being confiscated? Or could I be charged with some kind of crime?

The meds in question, are birth control pills (thinking to bring 6 packs), I actually have had a prescription for that in Germany before but it is so much more expensive here.

The other is Modalert (1 or 2 packets) which I was worried about because it is an ADHD med, but as far as I can tell from translating German wikipedia pages it does not have the same illegal status as the other stronger adhd meds. (https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modafinil#Rechtsstatus)

She is worrying about having drugs acquired without a prescription. But as long as they are available on prescription here I don't think it would be a problem.  As long as they are in reasonable quantities.  

On 16/04/2017, 19:41:21, fraufruit said:

I thought that birth control is covered by insurance in Germany. 

Unless my doctor misinformed me, unfortunately not :/

On 16/04/2017, 20:55:33, LukeSkywalker said:

According to following link she can't import prescription drugs from Turkey: https://www.bundesgesundheitsministerium.de/themen/krankenversicherung/arzneimittelversorgung/einfuhr-von-arzneimitteln.html

Flights from Turkey are checked extra, also because of the possible import of forbidden milk products and meat.

But is there any punishment for doing this? I mean, as it is not an illegal controlled substance that I know of I guess they would just confiscate it right?

On 16.4.2017, 20:47:01, snowingagain said:

But as long as they are available on prescription here I don't think it would be a problem.  As long as they are in reasonable quantities.  

IIRC "reasonable quantities" means a 1 month supply only.

On 16.4.2017, 20:41:21, fraufruit said:

Only for minors AFAIK

23 minutes ago, jeba said:

IIRC "reasonable quantities" means a 1 month supply only.

Reasonable is actually about 3 months.

On the other hand, I would probably bring 6 months worth and argue that changing brands is difficult.  

On 16.4.2017, 19:41:21, fraufruit said:

I am with TK and have always paid for mine in Germany (not in the UK). It's possible to get 6 months worth at a time, but not more. 

16 minutes ago, LenkaG said:

It's possible to get 6 months worth at a time, but not more. 

I guess that is good unless one only has sex once every 6.5 months.

2 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I guess that is good unless one only has sex once every 6.5 months.

I have sex more often than that, so I have not considered it from that point of view. What I do find odd is that I go for a lady-MOT once a year, but have to make another trip for a prescription which I get automatically without being asked anything. Actually, sometimes they ask if I want a prescription for 3 months, but that's it. Then I go with said prescription to the pharmacy, where I am asked if I want to get a 6M package or would I like a 3M one now and the other 3M later? I have always wondered why. Do people really do this? Or do they perhaps do it with expensive medicine? I pay 30 Euro for 6M, so cost is not an issue. 

Greenie for Luke. Haven't need BC (or female products) since I had breast cancer. Certainly wouldn't need it now regardless.

@LenkaG I'm not clear what your question was. Sorry. Are you asking if people only get 3 months when they could get 6?

All of my "expensive medicine" is paid by insurance and I pay ca. € 5 per refill. I always get as much as possible.

17 hours ago, blinki said:

Unless my doctor misinformed me, unfortunately not :/

But is there any punishment for doing this? I mean, as it is not an illegal controlled substance that I know of I guess they would just confiscate it right?

No, any illegal possession of a drug (even if the drug itself is legal on prescription) will bring criminal offence charges.

@fraufruit Yes. Like you, I get as much as they can legally give me (and that is why I came with a 6M pack from the UK to Germany, but they did not check this when we raced to the ferry). Why would I voluntarily, seemingly without reason, deal with it more often than necessary? Perhaps there is a reason I am unaware of.  

4 hours ago, Janx Spirit said:

No, any illegal possession of a drug (even if the drug itself is legal on prescription) will bring criminal offence charges.

As far as I know it wouldn't be criminal charges unless the drug is controlled (not sure if I'm using the right terms). I would assume worst case would be a fine. Seems no one knows exactly though.

If you  bring in large amounts of any prescription medication,  and do not have a prescription for them,   customs might ask if  you are selling cheaper meds.