Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Steuer for Ebay Seller -- (no longer a) Kleinunternehmer rules

243 posts in this topic

So as I'm getting ready to do this, and looking at the papers from the Steuerberater, and remembering our initial consultation and her saying something about how she lists transactions from his paypal and bank account... I'm realizing that I have been going about everything wrong from the beginning. What I mean is... I've been taking his ebay monthly statements and listing the sales/refunds from there in excel and then adding any receipts in that list as well. So I've been using the dates of transactions from his ebay statements, not his bank and paypal accounts...

So I'm wondering, as I list the transactions row by row, which statement should I be using? The paypal one or the bank one? Or a combination of both? So, for example, if he receives money from selling something on ebay on paypal and then transfers this to his bank, do I just write this as a plus to his bank and then be sure not to write that he received this money twice? And if he receives this money to paypal but doesn't transfer it to his bank, do I just write this as a plus to paypal? And what if he didn't refund machines all at once, but is refunding them in Raten? Then I also deduct this VAT in the corresponding increments from his VAT announcements, and not all at once right? In other words, I always go by the date on his bank account or the date on his paypal account? And if my husband owes thousands to customers on returned machines, i.e. he has negative thousands now, can this be deducted from his VAT now, or does he have to wait until his bank shows the negative amount has been returned to that customer before he can actually consider the machine refunded? 

Sorry if my questions are very stupid. I feel confused even as I'm asking them. I'm realizing this is a little harder than I thought since I have no bookkeeping experience.

This is just a cash accounting vs. accrual accounting situation. It doesn't matter as long as you are consistent.

2 hours ago, MLmunich said:

So, for example, if he receives money from selling something on ebay on paypal and then transfers this to his bank, do I just write this as a plus to his bank and then be sure not to write that he received this money twice?

Yes.

And if he receives this money to paypal but doesn't transfer it to his bank, do I just write this as a plus to paypal?

Yes.

And what if he didn't refund machines all at once, but is refunding them in Raten? Then I also deduct this VAT in the corresponding increments from his VAT announcements, and not all at once right?

Yes.

In other words, I always go by the date on his bank account or the date on his paypal account?

Yes.

And if my husband owes thousands to customers on returned machines, i.e. he has negative thousands now

No.

or does he have to wait until his bank shows the negative amount has been returned to that customer before he can actually consider the machine refunded? 

Yes.

When my husband buys something from a seller on eBay for his business and they do not send him some kind of invoice, because, for example, they are a seller in China or a private seller in Germany, or whatever reason, then can he just print the eBay or PayPal transaction receipt and use this as the invoice? 

1 hour ago, MLmunich said:

When my husband buys something from a seller on eBay for his business and they do not send him some kind of invoice, because, for example, they are a seller in China or a private seller in Germany, or whatever reason, then can he just print the eBay or PayPal transaction receipt and use this as the invoice? 

Yes, but print both the ebay ad and the proof of payment in Paypal.

I'm trying to understand the "Finanzkontenbuch/Kassenbuch" statement he got from the Steuerberater for Quartal II because this is probably her print-off of what I'm trying to make in Excel now, right?

And I see various columns: Lfd, Einnahmen, Ausgaben, Bestand, B, GKTO, Bel-1, Bel-2, Datum, Skonto, Buchungstext

Under Lfd is simply numbered 1-77 for the list of transactions, so would I pick up now with 78, or start over again with 1? Or would these always start over at 1 depending on which dates were selected in her software program, and therefore I should not bother with Lfd, since I'm not using a software capable of starting these numbers all over again based on a selected date range?

Under B, there are some rows with number 9 and some with 8... Not really sure what this means?

Under GKTO, there are various 4 digit codes... It seems that each 4 digit code seems to correspond to a different Buchungstext and I looked GKTO up... I think it's "gegenkonto", and I think I understand that gegenkonto is basically just the name of the company where the money was paid and the type of fee it was, so examples are: MVG, Fedex-Einfuhrumsatzsteuer, Fedex Vorlageprovision... Each one of these categories has a different 4 digit code... Do I need to know these codes or are these random codes assigned by the Steuerberater?

I'm not sure what Bel-1 and Bel-2 are, I'm guessing receipt numbers? But the papers are still at the Steuerberater's office, so I'm not sure...

All of the Einnahmen have the Buchungstext: "Kasseneingang", and I looked up his bank statement and discovered that these are each time he withdrew cash from his bank account... Do you know what Kasseneingang would translate as? Withdrawing from the bank counts as income? I'm a little confused why it wouldn't be an expense... Sorry for being so stupid about this.

Do you think these are all the columns I need? I'm confused why I don't see any paypal/ebay transactions on here, i.e. any of his product sales? Or is this a different kind of statement not relevant to what I'm trying to make now?

Thanks!

Oh nevermind, I just found out this thing is called a "cash book" and I guess this is not the format I need to be following...

:(

So I'm finally trying to read and understand everything I can about bookkeeping... I'm starting with the difference between accrual accounting and cash accounting. I think I understand that accrual accounting is when you use the dates of invoices (date of sale, date of purchase), and not the date when you actually submit or receive payment, and cash accounting is the opposite? 

What is the rule about when I am supposed to use which one?

On 11/18/2019, 8:29:16, PandaMunich said:

As long as his yearly profit is up to 60,000€, he's allowed to use Excel to do his bookkeeping.

Is it when your profit is under 60,000 that you are supposed to use cash accounting, and above that you are supposed to use accrual accounting? And does the same apply to VAT announcements? Or do you always have to use cash accounting when doing VAT?

The reason why I ask is because it would be so much easier to just do things based on invoice dates instead of date paid dates, as there are so many things that he paid in random installments instead of just paying the lump sum and tracking all these random payments is very tedious.

Do you know if Quickbooks is as good as Lexware? Can it also be exported to DATEV?

I'm having a hard time figuring Lexware out and something in my language might help a little.

Thanks.

I'm getting a little confused with the overlap between the paypal and bank accounts...

Is the date that counts for his bookkeeping the date that a payment lands in his paypal account or the date it lands in his bank account? Because sometimes there is quite a lag between.

And sometimes things are very complicated, like when an owed payment goes to an inkasso and then Ratenzahlungen are made, I get confused calculating what percentage of that was VAT, which is why I said it would be so much easier to just go by the dates of the invoices versus the date money hits the accounts.

3 hours ago, MLmunich said:

Is the date that counts for his bookkeeping the date that a payment lands in his paypal account or the date it lands in his bank account? Because sometimes there is quite a lag between.

And sometimes things are very complicated, like when an owed payment goes to an inkasso and then Ratenzahlungen are made, I get confused calculating what percentage of that was VAT, which is why I said it would be so much easier to just go by the dates of the invoices versus the date money hits the accounts.

The earliest date it lands in any of his accounts worldwide, so in this case the date it lands in his Paypal account.

At the risk of repeating myself:

On 01/12/2019, 20:23:45, PandaMunich said:

Sorry, if you want to use the invoice dates, you're in "bilanzieren" (= Betriebsvermögenvergleich) territory, which is much more complex than the simply Einnahmen-Überschuss-Rechnung (cash accounting).

Don't go there, you don't have the knowledge.

I'm working on his Umsatzsteuervoranmeldungen again, and I'm wondering... 

1. I don't see any options for 2020 in Elster... Can I no longer use Elster?

2. For Line 41 (Leistungsort nicht im Inland), i.e. sales to 3rd countries, do I enter the total sales or the total sales to third countries minus the total purchases from third countries?

THANKS

From my husband's bank statements do I use the Buchungsdatum or Wertdatum? Thanks 8-)

I just looked up the definitions and found:

" Der Buchungstag ist der Tag, an dem ein Zahlungsvorgang im System der Bank eingetragen und bearbeitet wird. Damit ist das Geld aber noch nicht zwingend auf Ihrem Konto verfügbar. Die Wertstellung, auch Valuta genannt, ist der Vorgang, mit dem eine Zahlung auf dem Konto tatsächlich verfügbar wird. "

But what is strange is the Wertstellungsdatum on his bank statements is often BEFORE the Buchungsdatum. For example, for one transaction the Wertstellungsdatum is 28.12 and the Buchungsdatum is 02.01.

Oh, there's another thing I'm not sure if I mentioned yet or not... A while ago I discovered my husband took out some big loans in secret. Do these loans count as income? If so, I fear it's too late because I think it was one or two years ago, and what do I do now? Also, do I deduct his monthly loan repayment installments from his monthly business income?

Recently a friend of mine who studied bookkeeping is helping me figure out how to do his bookkeeping and I'm getting everything in order for 2019 up to now and then can hopefully finally pass the task off to him.

Oh, another thing, sorry:

I know we touched on this before... If my husband transfers money to Vietnam to buy things there with cash and part of that money is leftover for his family or non-business related things, how exactly do we need to document this? What I mean is, his bank statement will show that he did a wire transfer through an agency that does this for 600 EUR for example, and then is it enough if he has receipts for the things he bought there (which do not total up to 600 but may be less than this)? Or do the cash receipts need to correspond exactly to the amount transferred, i.e. 600? He wouldn't need to do a separate wire transfer for every cash purchase in Vietnam, would he? Also, do the dates need to be exactly the same, because I think most often he transfers the money there and makes the cash purchases on various different future dates.

On 2/3/2020, 2:46:04, PandaMunich said:

The earliest date it lands in any of his accounts worldwide, so in this case the date it lands in his Paypal account.

Is the same true for expenses? 

If he orders something but doesn't have enough funds in his account to pay for it, do I use the date of the negative posting to his account or date when it finally actually comes out?

Also wondering...

If he buys a machine which he could either use to make things to sell or to re-sell itself (for example maybe he'll use it himself until he sells it off, if he is successful in selling it off), do I call it Geringwertigewirtschaftsgüter or do I call it Waren, Rohstoffe und Hilfstoffe? If I call it Geringwertigewirtschaftsgüter then when he does sell it off does this count as a normal sale (Einnahmen in my excel sheet), or is it something else?

Recently my friend helped me get together a basic excel spreadsheet to do his bookkeeping since I didn't really understand how to do an format this before.. Instead of just listing all sales and expenses in one column with minus signs for Ausgaben and no minus signs for Einnahmen she showed me to have two separate sets of columns... These are my column headers:

Receipt #    Date    Cash/ Bank    Country    Region    Name    Description    Tax category | Income Gross  VAT %    VAT EUR    Net   |  Expenses Gross    VAT %    VAT EUR    Netto

Does that look good? Any suggestions?

Anyway, so I'm wondering... If he buys something but then returns it, is this a positive Einnahme or a negative Ausgabe? If he sells something but then the customer returns it, is this a positive Ausgabe or a negative Einnahme? From searching the internet a little, I'm guessing the latter in both cases...

Do you think his shipping expenses go under the new 2019 EÜR Line 59 Verpackung und Transport?