how to re tune my tv

18 posts in this topic

The other day I found I could not get any TV programm on my TV. The normal channels were showing   on the list but next to each of them was

No event Information.

So I tried to retune and all I did was get rid of all the normal channels and replaced them with 3 dreadful shopping channels

I have spent over 30 minues fiddling around with the TV and have got nowhere.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Colin

Is it related to the recent change to dvb-t2?  I just heard about a switch a few days ago that means that TVs need retuning.  Maybe this helps...

http://www.dvb-t2hd.de

3 minutes ago, emkay said:

Is it related to the recent change to dvb-t2?  I just heard about a switch a few days ago that means that TVs need retuning.  Maybe this helps...

http://www.dvb-t2hd.de

Or a new settop box, if Colin's TV doesn't support dvb-t2.

Many thanks for the info.

On 29th March, some changes did take place. This was when all my stations disappeared.  I looked at some of the links suggested and apparently I need a Zimmerantenna: But  I already have one. And I have tried to retune several times, but just end up with 3  shopping channels.

What to do next? Do I need some new device? How will I  know? And why have not more people been affected?

Can I now avoid paying about 18 euros a month for the TV fee? 

Time to start a new protest group? Fight against relentless Technology.

Or more simply FART

DVB-T was shutdown, they have been telling us about this for the last 2 or 3 years.    Now they moved to DVB-T2 which is tremendous and yuge.   In order to watch the channels you need a TV with a DVB-T2 tuner otherwise you will need an external receiver.

And on top of that the channels you used to receive were divided in two groups, half of them remain for free, well actually you pay the TV licence for them.  And half of them are now not "free" anymore, they belong to someone called Freenet (yes, ironic name) for which you have to pay a bit under 6 EUR a month to receive them.   So you have to pay more money to watch RTL and VOX.

Sorry, Colin, but it isn't the landlord's problem. If you have an older TV that doesn't support DVB-T2, you'll need a settop box.

That box will let you watch the public broadcasting stations (ARD, ZDF, etc.) at no extra charge, aside from your TV license. If you want to watch the commercial channels (SAT1, RTL, Pro7, etc.), you'll need to pay a subscription fee.

6 hours ago, Krieg said:

DVB-T was shutdown, they have been telling us about this for the last 2 or 3 years.    Now they moved to DVB-T2 which is tremendous and yuge.   In order to watch the channels you need a TV with a DVB-T2 tuner otherwise you will need an external receiver.

And on top of that the channels you used to receive were divided in two groups, half of them remain for free, well actually you pay the TV licence for them.  And half of them are now not "free" anymore, they belong to someone called Freenet (yes, ironic name) for which you have to pay a bit under 6 EUR a month to receive them.   So you have to pay more money to watch RTL and VOX.

In order to watch the free TV channels which are covered by the TV licence you will need a DVB-T2 compatible TV, if you want to watch the Private HD channels on your DVB-T2 compatible TV (now) you will need to add a CI+ module (the 3 months gratis is not included with compatible TV's) which will cost you €74.90 and gives you 15 months viewing including the 3 months gratis.

All the so called boxes available, I have a Xoro box, they all include 3 months gratis but from June you are required to register your box and pay the monthly or yearly costs.

Unlike the Rundfunkbeitrag which is per household the charge for viewing the Private channels, RTL, VOX, Pro 7, Sat 1, NTV, N24 etc etc is per box or per TV. A typical family of four could now expect to pay somewhere in the region of €500 plus per year just for that privilege, in some cases even more if their viewing method is DVB T.

@colincostello from what I understand if your TV was purchased prior to 2015 then it won't be DVB-T2 compatible.

We have been having good results using Zattoo to stream the German channels.  I pay for a SmartDNS service, so we are streaming Swiss Zattoo instead of the German one, I am not sure if the SmartDNS is required to get all the German channels. but so far we can say it has been all good, we just have to watch one or two extra short ads when changing channels.

It is the landlords problem as it is a furnished flat.  So I told her and if she fixes it, then all well and good. If not, then I am going to be without a TV as I have no intention of buying any extra devices.

21 hours ago, colincostello said:

Can I now avoid paying about 18 euros a month for the TV fee? 

You probably already know this, but even if you don't have a TV you still have to pay.

But I have checked out Filmon.com and they show some German channels. Enough to satisfy me. The only thing I miss is the subtitles that I used to get on the TV. I do not think I can get them on my lap top.

I haven't bothered getting a new set top box yet. Did have a look in the usual suspects, and strangely they dont seem to be selling any of the touted 29.99 € boxes but lots of 100 € ones. At the moment, I'm not missing it at all. Actually, I can still get Euronews from 0600 to 0900, presumably from Thuringen or somewhere. But just wondering, I've always had trouble getting all of the stations all of the time with the previous setup, so can anyone report on any significant changes in reception with a zimmerantenne with the new setup?

Be very careful with the cheaper boxes, they are not all compatible and don't carry the Freenet compatible sticker. Take the Xoro Boxes for example, I have a 8730 kit which I have to say at present seems to be pretty faultless and a good picture with no issues, included was the HDMI cable and an Antennae with power boost from the box itself so no need for separate power supply. However the cheaper Xoro boxes for example like the 7620 might be compatible for the terrestrial channels but it has no option to add the key to access the private channels.

A fully compatible box is going to cost you upwards of €50.00 so do a little research first and don't buy from Media Markt or Saturn their prices are pretty steep.

When researching make sure the box has the green sticker like below indicating it's compatible.

7d27b6db-5073-4541-8f2b-843d730d3f27._SR

If the landlords want to get cleaver.. they could simply put a satellite dish on the roof with head end station and then convert it all back to TVB-t.and or DVB-C

That way no one in the building has to splash out on new TVs.. boxes or subscriptions...!!!