Opinions on life in Bremen

21 posts in this topic

I'm curious what it is like to live in Bremen.

Are there a lot of townies here, or is it a fairly cool liberal city to live in?

Thanks.

Quite amazing to see how little activity there is in this area of the forum! Ahhh, maybe that's kind of refreshing and a reflection of the fact that.. life can be a bit slower in Niedersachsen and Bremen.

I've just recently joined this forum. I know Bremen pretty well and can say that that it's a lively, interesting and liberal town, especially given that it's only a bit more than a half a million people. A very cool little place indeed. But I don't want to plug it too much in case others discover it too.

Oldenburg is near to Bremen- a smaller but more cosier place to be. A very scenic town with more than 160.000 inhabitions, good infrastructure and connections to Bremen. You get everything you need from shopping, relaxing to nightlife (not the same as in Bremen but still there. Due to its university students and its open minded people life is very relaxed in Oldenburg.

www.oldenburg.de

Oh yes, Oldenburg is quite a nice little place as well! A bit further afield but easy to get to is Groningen in The Netherlands. I was really surprised to discover how much it had to offer when I visited it last year on the recommendation of a friend, because I'd never thought about it before. Really enjoyed it.

I'd like to know more about Bremen too... if anyone has any information :)

Thinking about moving there in September...

things like..

Transport, Nightlife, Scenery, Architecture... overall impression.. you know that feeling you get about a town/city...

:)

Thanks

Hi

am hoping to get some insiders info on bremen! I will be moving there in mid march and will be doing more german courses/hopefully prepare for uni and all that kind of thing but would come in very handy if I could also get a job :) although it would have to be unskilled, and somewhere where they might tolerate poor german. Ive already got the names of a couple of Irish/English bars and so but i hear pretty bad reviews on that kind of work. Ive had experience living and working with people with special needs, experience as a personal assistant/secretary and am currently an au pair. Can anyone enlighten me to any other prospects of work, even other forums etc that I might be able to easily look for something.. I keep seeing a lot of adverts on here for babysitting work etc wanted and there doesnt seem to be much going around.

any advice would be great!

laura

I've lived in Bremen 4 years now. Came here for University and I now work here. Its a pretty cosy little place and nothing much happens here. But its nice to have Hamburg and Hannover nearby for having some real fun. :D

i liked it, many foreigners are there too. but got so bored and used to go to hamburg ever week,i like big cities withvariety of things and places to go, Bremen has very few and it becomes monotonous..at one time i felt like a gold fish in a bowl just swimming in the same tiny bowl in circles.

i left for berlin eventually.

you might like it and have a positive different experience

It is a nice old Hansastadt but like the posters say its not that big if you are into the big city life. I found the folks there pretty nice and sometimes very direct (more so than in southern Germany). There are a lot of international students over at the new private university because they teach in English there. I like Vegesack the best because I am actually not into living in the urban center.

As for unskilled labor, Bremen has suffered quite a bit with closure of large manufacturing companies like Weser and others and the unemployment is higher than in other places in Germany. So depending on what you want to do, it could be difficult unless you capitalize on your English skills somehow.

I moved to Bremen from Dublin 5months ago and I really like it. The pace of life in Bremen is slower than in Dublin or other bigger cities. Bremen and the people here have a very chilled out attitude. The pubs here are excellent as well - Viertel and Schlachte have some cool pubs and that's during the winter, I can't wait for the summer!!

Like everything else, it's what you make of it yourself!

Hey guys.. Thanks for the info about Bremen, I'm moving next June... It seems like an interesting place to live. Do you guys know if there's a place where I can look for an apartment or room to share?? I'm having a lot of problems to find out a cool place. Thanks!

Hey guys I'm moving to Bremen in july for an internship? Is there a possiblity to get an afternoon work cuz i'll get only 250 Euros, this as wat i guess is the price of the accommodation only and i guess it won't be enough to me for the living costs. Dont u think so?

Hello everyone! (Goodentag?)

I am thinking about taking a job in Brenem!

What i have researched so far is that its a pretty cool little town with a blend of the old heritage feel versus the new..

I have moved to Holland from Australia recently but I dont really feel a connection with it.. Amsterdam is great but very busy..

I'll be mostly floating around on the ocean somewhere for work but when I'm home it would be great

to feel 'your at home!'

Can anyone offer a local's 'snapshot' view on Bremen? difficulties settling in? finding housing?

Fun things to do and the like?

Language barriers? I speak about as much german as your average eskimo does (actually i know a little bit) but is it really essential to speak it fluently there?

Any advice will earn you a my thanks and a beer if if al goes to plan!

Looking forward to your reply,

Thanks all,

Sam.

=)

Here's a good website if you are looking for a room. WG is the abbreviation for a shared apartment (Wohngemeinschaft).

http://schwarzesbrett.bremen.de/

I'll give you the other link I found relevant when I was looking for a furnished apartment (Moebliert wohnen).

http://www.zwischenmieter.de/

Can anyone offer a local's 'snapshot' view on Bremen? difficulties settling in? finding housing?

Fun things to do and the like?

Language barriers? I speak about as much german as your average eskimo does (actually i know a little bit) but is it really essential to speak it fluently there?

Hi Sam,

Bremen is a nice looking place and since coming here in february Ive been quite happy (although Ive not been out much). Id second whynots suggestions fr places to look for flats but also suggest Gewoba, who are a housing association with lots to offer. The proble with Bremen is that it tends to be very posh or very grotty with not a huge amount in between. Lots of studenty type places if thats what youre after. Probably easier and cheaper to find somewhere to live than Amsterdam, anyway.

You shouldnt ahve much trouble without German but learning it as a mid-term objectiv is always going to amke sense if you plan to say.

We should definitely be able to find a few for beer - I havent succeeded in getting more than two of us together yet but Im till trying :-)

I live in Bremen (I'm American) with my wife (German) since Sept. 2009. I think all the opinions on Bremen so far are pretty spot on. It is technically the poorest state in "former" West Germany so you're going to have some seedy areas and slightly higher than usual unemployment. You're also going to see some pretty strange people sometimes walking around depending on what area you live in. Overall though, it is a pretty nice city (especially in summer) and is on the small side, so you'll be doing and seeing the same things a lot. It is not like Hamburg in it's sheer size (although I grew up outside NYC so Hamburg doesn't seem that big to me).

You don't need a car because the city is not that spread out. It is usually easier to live on the North South axis because the distance isn't that great. If you live way out west or east, you'll end up on the Strassenbahn all day (who wants to live in Groepelingen anyway).

If you can deal with the crap weather in fall/winter and the occasional druggie shooting up at the street corner (Sielwall anybody?) it's a pretty nice place. Just don't plan on sending your kids to school here, the school system is consistently voted the worst in Germany. It's so bad that students routinely have protests because they're even fed up with it.

Well, at least it's not always the same two.

Refreshingly, no.

If I can get the twos together well have to hire a hall :-)

It is technically the poorest state in "former" West Germany so you're going to have some seedy areas and slightly higher than usual unemployment.

This is mainly because of the very very poor Bremerhaven (which is of cause not Bremen, but in the same state) with one of the highest unemployment rates of whole germany.

This is mainly because of the very very poor Bremerhaven (which is of cause not Bremen, but in the same state) with one of the highest unemployment rates of whole germany.

Yes, that's correct. Bremen's unemployment is about 12.5% and Bremerhaven's is like 18%. Bremerhaven has some serious issues and would never consider living there. But while nobody would ever confuse Bremen for Munich, it's not too bad of a place to be.