B1 Deutschprüfung TELC ...failed

17 posts in this topic

Hello everybody, I hope it is the right place to ask... if not, please excuse me in advance :)

My friend took the B1 Prüfung at the beginning of march...he succeded in the "mündliche Prüfung" but he failed in the written part...and only for 0,5 points (!!). Only for this, he should take the whole written test again :-( We tried to contact TELC to ask for a revision of the written test (telephone, letter, fax, email...), just no reply at all since 10 days.

Do you have any experiences with something like this and what can be done ?

Many thanks!

M.

Yes, your friend has to take the entire written portion again, but not the oral. Yes, your friend has to pay for this AFAIK. Yes, 0.5 points is enough to fail a person. The only way your friend failed by half a point was on the free writing section. I suppose it is within the realm of possibility to request a reconsideration of the written section, but you will still get the fail. 

1 minute ago, LeonG said:

According to this: http://www.telc-duesseldorf.info/info/telc-pruefungsablauf#telc-deutsch/ for TELC in Düsseldorf, he only needs to repeat the part of the exam that he failed.

The "parts" that can be retaken are "oral" and "written", not the sub-parts. There are 4 parts to the written test - he must retake all of the written test (just like any other exam retake I can think of).

Thank you for your replies! Yes, I am aware of the fact that he "only" needs to repeat the written part (he scored almost the max. points in the oral!).

We asked to see the written test but still, no reply. I think it is his right to have a check on it.

As far as it is legit, it is not human to to me to fail somebody for 0,5 points. But i suppose it is good for TELC to get  more fees for another Test again.

@markfk The multiple choice section of the tests are scored by machine. The rater who scores the written section of the test has NO IDEA how the person who took the test did on the multiple choice section. So, I am afraid that particular theory is out of gas. Furthermore, and my apologies to any smack-asses out there who think these tests are well written, the raters are encouraged to be sympathetic to the test-taker, so I am afraid if your friend failed by half a point he probably was just terrible in his writing.

12 minutes ago, markfk said:

As far as it is legit, it is not human to to me to fail somebody for 0,5 points.

It's not human? Really? 

Would it be human to fail for 1,0 points? Only 0,5 more than 0,5? And so on.

15 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

@markfk The multiple choice section of the tests are scored by machine. The rater who scores the written section of the test has NO IDEA how the person who took the test did on the multiple choice section. So, I am afraid that particular theory is out of gas. Furthermore, and my apologies to any smack-asses out there who think these tests are well written, the raters are encouraged to be sympathetic to the test-taker, so I am afraid if your friend failed by half a point he probably was just terrible in his writing.

I got your point and it makes sense, no arguing this. But I know the way he writes (I used to help him prepare the test, simulations over simulations every day), that's why we asked TELC to at least see the test... sicher ist sicher. Apparently it would be possible for 15 minutes. The problem is, I can't contact them (phone, fax, emails, letters), no reply at all. I assume we are not the only "customers" and I did not expect an answer the day after, but not even an answer in the last 10 days is pretty much and does not seem very serious to me.

A test pass mark is an arbitrary line over which a candidate has to come in order to pass.

I haven't taken one of these tests,  just the one I needed for my citizen application, in that,  all except the speaking and writing were just filling in a score card.

These went off to be marked in a central location. There was no play room there. The markers add up the points you have, and you either pass or fail.

I know how your friend feels, I missed out on a 2:1 degree by around 1% and the Uni would not budge on that. The mark was the mark, no matter I presented (mitigating evidence etc) they just said - that is your mark.

1 hour ago, markfk said:

Thank you for your replies! Yes, I am aware of the fact that he "only" needs to repeat the written part (he scored almost the max. points in the oral!).

We asked to see the written test but still, no reply. I think it is his right to have a check on it.

As far as it is legit, it is not human to to me to fail somebody for 0,5 points. But i suppose it is good for TELC to get  more fees for another Test again.

He failed and failing is failing whether it was by 0.5 points or 1 point, 2, 10 etc.  The line has to be drawn somewhere.  Maybe he was unlucky that day that he didn't score 0.5 points more or maybe he was actually very lucky on this day that he almost passed and that on any other day he would have gotten less.

I suggest he start preparing for the re-take.

1 hour ago, markfk said:

An inch is as good as a mile. It's tough but that's life. If he had passed by just half a point, he would probably be rejoicing as much as if he had a 2. As LeonG said, the line has to be drawn somewhere and it has to be the same for everyone otherwise it would have no credibility / value.

Thank you guys for your replies, very appreciated.

I agree that there must be a line pass/fail, of course.  But I also think that a margin of error when it is about a 0,5 points should be taken into consideration.

So I wrote on this forum to know if somebody experienced something similar in the past :)

36 minutes ago, markfk said:

Thank you guys for your replies, very appreciated.

I agree that there must be a line pass/fail, of course.  But I also think that a margin of error when it is about a 0,5 points should be taken into consideration.

So I wrote on this forum to know if somebody experienced something similar in the past :)

Well if it makes your friend feel better lie to him and tell him that  a couple of years ago you had to get 5.5 more points than him to pass but then , using the same logic you did of the 'margin of error', they decreased it to include those that only failed by a little so now they only need 0.5 more points than he did. 

I got a "sehr gut" on my university degree due to the rule that specified the number of digits used in the calculation of the marks. One digit more, and I would have ended up with a "gut". Not that it mattered the slightest bit in the long run.

I now have to grade students on a regular basis. And yes, the "missed a mark by 0.5%" comes up every once in a while. But so does the "just got a better mark by 0.5%". I don't give it much thought any more, because I figure it all evens out in the long run.

You win some, you lose some. Or as my mum would say "knapp daneben ist auch daneben".

I am sorry, English is not my first language. I think I did not make my point clear. The "problem" is not if this is right or wrong and I really understand and agree on what you guys wrote. I only think that with 0,5% there might be a slight margin of error because no mashine or human being is perfect. So my orginal question was if somebody has ever experienced something like this and it turned out to be a mistake or not, not if this result is legit or not. We would like to see the test, sicher ist sicher, but we just have troubles to contact the telc (no replies at all: phone calls, fax, emails, letters). That't it.

They aren't going to call your friend back.  If they make one exception they would have to make many more.            

The only recourse is to get a lawyer and make a Widerspruch. For that money your friend should just retake the test.

Sadly, I have to agree with trr.

The chances of getting the work reviewed are next to nothing, and in a country where officialdom backing down equals total loss of face, I don't think your friend stands a chance in hell!

Sure, it is only 1/2% and there really could be a mistake, but forcing a review would not really have them looking for an error in your friends' favour.