Supermarket throwing out unsold bread

32 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, yourkeau said:

No problem. Was a misunderstanding.

In less so rich Franconia the Reduziert labels apply to products expiring tomorrow. But maybe you are right, I will check if they also sell expired products.

Technically this is legal because MHD doesn't mean the product cannot be consumed, but by selling these products they are liable for possible food poisonings. And insurance will not pay.

In my humble opinion Franconia is by far the worst part of Bavaria :-). Next time you find yourself in your local M***kauf supermarket, pay attention about packed breads (toast and so) that are on the very top, and especially Yoghurts and other Diary products. No body will inform you that those products are in many occasions right out of date.

9 hours ago, stormwatch said:

pay attention about packed breads (toast and so) that are on the very top

Packed breads? Who buys this crap?

I thought you meant real bread from supermarket bakery (Lidl, real, Netto have their own, REWE has separate independent bakery).

59 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

Who knows but every grocery store has many shelves full of it. They don't give up shelves to things that don't sell.

8 hours ago, yourkeau said:

I and many thousands of others do.

I have to laugh when you say real bread then go on to mention the stuff from Lidl,Rewe etc bakeries.

11 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Who knows but every grocery store has many shelves full of it. They don't give up shelves to things that don't sell.

We buy Toastbrot for our toddler - the crust on normal loaves is a little too tough for her at the moment. She also gets Rosinenbrot as a treat.

12 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Well, yes. But it is already made from expired bread, so why complain about MHD?

5 hours ago, Keleth said:

I and many thousands of others do.

I have to laugh when you say real bread then go on to mention the stuff from Lidl,Rewe etc bakeries.

If you meant the frozen bread/vacuum packed bread to heat in the oven, I buy it, too. But it tastes significantly worse than the bread from said bakeries. I didn't say it's excellent, but I do not have time to drive to organic bakery with wooden stove etc.

Only pretzels (Breze here) can be bought frozen: home heating in the oven gives the same taste as bakery. And croissants, but only those made in France.

Usually I go to  a bakery about 10 min. bevore closing time, ponit at the loave of bread on the shelv and say: " I would like to have this bread from yesterday please"

She say´s: "But this is from today"

I : "Yes, but in 5 min. it will be from yesterday"

I usaly get a laught from the audience, a smile form the lady and in  90% I will get it for half the price

(Because they always sell baked goods from day before vor half price)

On 30/03/2017, 06:22:44, Keleth said:

I remember seeing something about this on TV a while ago in regards to bakeries and the Tagel.

In many parts of Germany there is something in the tax laws that if a baker throws out bread he pays no tax but if he gives away the bread to the Tafel then he has to still pay some tax on it.

You may have a point.  I pick up for the Tafel in my area.  When I first started about five years ago, I used to give a receipt to the bakeries for the amount that I picked up.  Then at one point, I don't remember when, we were told the bakeries didn't want any more receipts.  So maybe now they are pretending to throw the bread but still give it to us.

On 30.3.2017, 22:26:54, yourkeau said:

I thought you meant real bread from supermarket bakery (Lidl, real, Netto have their own, REWE has separate independent bakery).

Sorry, but bread that is made in in-store bakeries is rarely any good. So it's better to buy a pack of toast bread, than to give 2-3 Euro for some loaf of bread made with flour which has been freed from any natural binding ingredients, because nowadays first world people are all allergic on the anything that has any nutritive value in the product - so you have bread without bread, milk without milk, meat without meat and so on... As I said in the topic about rising prices, try to look for a really good and tasty bread in Turkish shops and bakeries, they're real bread and cake artists.

On 31.3.2017, 12:59:02, yourkeau said:

Well, yes. But it is already made from expired bread, so why complain about MHD?

Because packed bread is at high risk to get moldy beyond the MHD?