Brexit / Article 50 just signed

10 posts in this topic

Good day all,

I am a fellow British Citizen living and working in Berlin.

My reason for starting this topic will seem obvious and I was just wondering If anyone has the desire to enter a discussion and share thoughts, ideas, knowledge. I have spoken to the British Embassy in Berlin prior to Article 50 being signed but they had no idea what the next steps for "expats" until Article 50 would be signed.

For example, what are the repercussions for British citizens that have been living and working in Berlin for several years in full time employment and have built a life here.

Before I moved abroad to Germany I was an avid watcher of the weekly TV program "Question Time" with David Dimbleby so I would say that has been my source of  staying tune with the goings on in the U.K politically.

Being honest I do not feel I have the most in depth knowledge of the reasons for the wanting to leave the EU. 

I await your most welcome responses.

Kind regards

JA

@kiplette, From conversations I overheard, immigration and the amount of immigtants in the UK could have played a huge role in many voters wanting the UK to leave the EU. Immigration, Lack of jobs for British citizens in their home land.

Other reasons I can be sure but this was often the topic.

Is it possible that the public where not educated well enough to the repercussions and were given purely a story told of golden paths ahead.

My opinion is that Brexit is an idea thrown up from "businessminds" not necessarily that of a smart business plan. Have you come across any soundbites which speak about the well being of the people in the UK and those living in other areas of the EU?

Thank you for your insight, advice and opinion. 

I think you've summed things up Jsparx. It has always being foreigners taken our jobs when times are hard and it's usually the ill educated who use that line. I just loved the fact that so many immigrants in Britain used the excuse of too many immigrants coming over to vote for Brexit. Brexit I think really came from greedy selfish little Englanders who liked blaming everyone else for their failings. How often have we heard about EU Red tape being a hinderence to business, strange that those who shouted loudest have some very poor business models that rely on cheap labour to work.

I don't think the UK has a very good chance of negotiating a good deal and we are just a small pawn in the deal. I think a lot of little Englanders will soon realise that the UK needs Europe more than Europe needs it. Still we wait and see, got to stay optimistic.

40 minutes ago, Jsparx said:

Is it possible that the public where not educated well enough to the repercussions and were given purely a story told of golden paths ahead.

Thats true of just about every election as well.

I am just so sad about the UK leaving the EU. I feel very close to the UK as I spent 7-8 years of my life there and still go there almost every month, as my better half (UK-DE dual national) still lives there. It feels like a long-time friend telling you "I don't like you. I don't want to be with you. You are the source of all my problems".

With all its faults, I think the EU is a great thing. For hundreds of years Europe's nations were constantly at war with each other. Then came the end of the 2nd world war and then came the EU and ever since then, Europe has got closer, and closer together and has enjoyed by far the longest period of peaceful prosperity in history. The three basic freedoms (trade, capital and movement) bring enormous benefit to everyone. I have certainly benefited from it. It's good for business (same rules everywhere and for everyone), it's good for individuals (live, work, study, retire where you want). Need I explain more? And yet, it's so sad that so many Brits view the EU as the enemy and truly believe that they'd have better jobs, a better NHS, or that housing would be less expensive if they weren't in the club.

Sad, sad day, if you ask me.

1 hour ago, Jsparx said:

Is it possible that the public where not educated well enough ...

- which is exactly the reason we have politicians!

Unfortunately, a lot of them are idiots too!

2 hours ago, Jsparx said:

My opinion is that Brexit is an idea thrown up from "businessminds"

The idea of in/out has been around since the EEC/EU was conceived and created.

If you mean this particular referendum, it was a political tool mis(used) by Mr Cameron who was trying to prevent his anti-europe MPs from defecting to UKIP before the last election. He massively overestimated the thread from UKIP, and massively underestimated the danger of legitimising the Leave group by making it a choice on a bit of paper which would be presented to the whole voting population.

I have read of particular businesses which stand to gain from Brexit - someone put a link on one of the threads recently with the sugar companies - Tate and Lyle (cane sugar from overseas) and Silver Spoon (beet sugar from UK) are an interesting pair - it was a good report, but more generally, apart from assuming that it is a complication for most businesses, mostly the opinions I have heard are via my oldest kid who is at Oxford doing PPE, and given the history of Government and that course, it will come as no surprise that the feeling is one of horror. 

9 hours ago, kiplette said:

sizable chips on shoulders

2 hours ago, Jsparx said:

immigration and the number of immigrants in the UK

I agree that this is the main chip. I don't know how legitimate it is.