learning german

22 posts in this topic

I know that this is going to sound absurd but...

I have been here for a few years and I teach English. I get little chance to speak German and I am wondering if anyone has any ideas about how I can go about getting more German conversation. My grammar is pretty good and is about B2 but I just get chance to speak German very often. I have heard that their are 'language cafes' and wonder if anyone has any ideas. Am taking a course at a language school but can learn the grammar in five minutes.

You could get involved in sports or other clubs or churches. As to whether there are language cafes in your area, I have no idea, since you don't say where you live.

54 minutes ago, Acton said:

Quote "their are 'language cafes'"

Can recommend that you learn to speak English first.

Actually, speaking isn't the problem, spelling is. After all 'there' 'their' and 'they're' do sound the same, especially the last if spoken at normal speed.

48 minutes ago, Acton said:

Quote "their are 'language cafes'"

Can recommend that you learn to speak English first.

Can who recommend? You? Don't you know about personal pronouns? Maybe you should learn English? Then again, this thread has nothing to do with learning English so if we are going to make random asinine suggestions might I recommend something more interesting like astrophysics or biochemistry? Bad troll. 

1 hour ago, JN53 said:

You could get involved in sports or other clubs or churches. As to whether there are language cafes in your area, I have no idea, since you don't say where you live.

I think she was looking for your opinion on whether language cafes are useful or not.

5 hours ago, steffan ap sion said:

I have been here for a few years and I teach English. I get little chance to speak German and I am wondering if anyone has any ideas about how I can go about getting more German conversation. My grammar is pretty good and is about B2 but I just get chance to speak German very often. I have heard that their are 'language cafes' and wonder if anyone has any ideas. Am taking a course at a language school but can learn the grammar in five minutes.

I have the same problem with German: I spend all my time speaking English and the only German practice I get is in class. In my class there are 25 of us so my progress in speaking is slow. Saying that though, your level is higher than mine. Have you thought about joining some sort of club in which you'd be forced to interact in German? Do you have any hobbies you could share with others? I am not at that level yet but that is my plan too - maybe martial arts or archery I was thinking. I also have quite a bit of experience teaching kids so I was thinking of doing some volunteer work with non-English speaking kids. Lastly, have you considered taking a course that focuses primarily on conversation? I have seen quite a few of those advertised.

Good luck.

7 hours ago, steffan ap sion said:

At which language school are you teaching English? If you name the school, I can tell you if they have a policy in place whereby you can get free or low cost German lessons by joining a DAF group.

@steffan ap sion My response might also sound absurd, but I find it efficient. I pay a local university student 20 euro/hr, two or three times a week, to have a German conversation with me. She studies Germanistik and Anglistik and speaks fluent English, which is important when I have questions about grammar. I also ask her to point out errors on-the-fly and I make notes of difficult-but-practical words or phrases that I should prioritize learning.

8 minutes ago, royalplumper said:

@steffan ap sion My response might also sound absurd, but I find it efficient. I pay a local university student 20 euro/hr, two or three times a week, to have a German conversation with me. She studies Germanistik and Anglistik and speaks fluent English, which is important when I have questions about grammar. I also ask her to point out errors on-the-fly and I make notes of difficult-but-practical words or phrases that I should prioritize learning.

May I ask, how do you come to agree on 20 euros an hour? Seems quite expensive just for conversation.

@Atrag We mutually agreed on the price. I think you could find a student Nachhilfer that would do it for 15 euros, maybe 10 euros, per hour.

I find it more than "just" conversation. She actively listens for errors, points to the relevant grammar behind the errors, and listens to me talk about shit that frankly, she would never choose to talk about if it were a conversation with her friends.

25 minutes ago, royalplumper said:

I find it more than "just" conversation. She actively listens for errors, points to the relevant grammar behind the errors, and listens to me talk about shit that frankly, she would never choose to talk about if it were a conversation with her friends.

HD students are gold. I had Natalie for a year and she helped me so much. She was always organised, told me which books to buy and generally was in complete control. Even when I came from work and was too knackered to hit the books, she'd just make me a cup of tea and say: "Tell me about your day?"

Which I did. She'd grab my vocab books and anytime I struggled for a word she'd translate and write it into both books and leave red flags for me to study when I got home.

Sometimes talking shit helps. 

May I suggest you simply get to know Germans and talk to them on a daily basis. Watch German tv and listen to the radio. Why make it so complicated? 

12 hours ago, Atrag said:

May I ask, how do you come to agree on 20 euros an hour? Seems quite expensive just for conversation.

I charge €40 for topic driven conversation for business people, technical and medical staff moving from B2 to C1. €20 is a gift. 

1 hour ago, AlexTr said:

I charge €40 for topic driven conversation for business people, technical and medical staff moving from B2 to C1. €20 is a gift. 

I agree 20€ is fine.  Teaching time is teaching time no matter what is covered.  The ability to converse is probably more complicated than any other aspect of learning a language.

My 15 year old is doing a wonderful job teaching a younger kid English for 10€ an hour.  Other mid teens charge 15€ per hour.

27 minutes ago, emkay said:

The ability to converse is probably more complicated than any other aspect of learning a language.

The you have obviously never taught writing.  Writing is the last language skill to be learned, even in the first language and is sometimes never learned.

3 hours ago, emkay said:

I agree 20€ is fine.  Teaching time is teaching time no matter what is covered.  The ability to converse is probably more complicated than any other aspect of learning a language.

My 15 year old is doing a wonderful job teaching a younger kid English for 10€ an hour.  Other mid teens charge 15€ per hour.

Wow maybe I should start teaching English on the side then. When I taught kids in Spain I charged 15 euros an hour. I guess I could more here (although I guess it is more profitable with adults).

Can who recommend? You? Don't you know about personal pronouns? Maybe you should learn English? Then again, this thread has nothing to do with learning English so if we are going to make random asinine suggestions might I recommend something more interesting like astrophysics or biochemistry? Bad troll. 

Get out of bed on the wrong side?

(Did You)

1 hour ago, Acton said:

Get out of bed on the wrong side?

(Did You)

Can recommend you not be a bully in future?

(I)

Thank you for your replies.

AlexTr: I checked the DaF angle but, because we are a private school, there appears to be nothing happening there with regard to the DAF aspect. Thank you!

Hannoverian: Fair point but love my job and tend to have little time. Maybe I just ought to get a life!

royalplumper: I have just put an advertisement up in the Germanistik department and think that I will go down the route suggested!

Thank you all for your kindness!

Acton: I want you to have the most wonderful and special day. I used to teach children with emotional problems so understand where you are coming from. Hope it gets better soon! XX

On 27/03/2017, 12:08:34, Santitas said:

Writing is the last language skill to be learned, even in the first language and is sometimes never learned.

So, so true. The holy trinity of language:

1. Undertsanding

2. Speaking

3. Writing

Most native speakers (whatever language) never want to learn past speaking, as writing is a chore.

But, writing is the dog's bollox. Innit?

I learnt to write and express myself; so now I could turn the above list upside down.

It improved my speaking, but more importantly, my understanding.

I always preferred the reading and writing part to the speaking and understanding part.  To me writing German is like doing an interesting puzzle: am I getting all the pieces in the right place?  Should that adjective get an "n"?  Does that verb move to the end now?  Am I using the word "abgeschlossen" correctly, or am I mistranslating from English?  Speaking and understanding is like having to do that in real time, like a live-action game.  Much more stressful.