Niederlassungserlaubnis: How long does it take?

39 posts in this topic

On 8/5/2019, 12:46:59, honigbiene said:

Did you apply from Hamburg Welcome Center (HWC-Rathaus) or from one of those Bezirksamt attaché?

If it is Hamburg Welcome Center, then they will take time. It is the only Foreigner's Department that has employees who can communicate in English. They are always over crowded and understaffed. 

I applied at Hamburg Welcome Center and yes initially it took 2 months of wait since they didn't have any free appointments left but once I submitted documents, in the middle of July, it took only three weeks to get my card ready. I got it today :) 

On 8/7/2019, 8:34:43, mtkh said:

I applied at Hamburg Welcome Center and yes initially it took 2 months of wait since they didn't have any free appointments left but once I submitted documents, in the middle of July, it took only three weeks to get my card ready. I got it today :) 

Congratulations!

Hi,

I live in Berlin. I have send my NE application by email on 17.03.2020. I got an automatic reply from them that says they will contact me but I shouldn’t send and questions before that. I know it can get longer especially during Corona but it’s almost 4 months now. My blue card will be expired on 21.01.2021. There is still time but if I’ll not get an answer until that I believe I need to apply for extension. Does anyone know how long it may take in Berlin to get an answer from them for NE?

Thanks

I will be completing 33 months soon, only one month left,  shall I start the process for applying NE.

I have a major concern here. Do we need Deutsch A1 certificate for applying NE even after completion of 33 months ? 

Is there any update on prerequisites for applying NE with Blue card. 

On 9/11/2020, 7:09:42, BOB'd Great said:

I will be completing 33 months soon, only one month left,  shall I start the process for applying NE.

I have a major concern here. Do we need Deutsch A1 certificate for applying NE even after completion of 33 months ? 

Is there any update on prerequisites for applying NE with Blue card. 

Yes, you can start the process, I would say it is better to apply on advance (4-5 month earlier).

For NE the AB would prefer to have German knowledge to at least A1 level, a certificate might help but you should be able to handle a simple conversation in German.

Has anyone applied for NE in Stuttgart this year? Did you submit by email or by post? How long did it take to get a face-to-face appointment and eventually to get your card?

My friends were told to send all documents by email first, but when I sent the email, they told me to potocopy everything and send by post. This is really strange!

A friend who applied earlier this year got his card after 2 months but he was in Böblingen. Apparently bigger cities can be a nightmare? Anyone has recent experience?

Hello everyone,

Please has anyone applied for the NE in Berlin recently and how long did it take to get a face to face appointment?

I have applied by post since early Oct. 2020 and still have not heard anything back from them.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts. 

On 4.1.2021, 13:13:43, OMO4life said:

Hello everyone,

Please has anyone applied for the NE in Berlin recently and how long did it take to get a face to face appointment?

I have applied by post since early Oct. 2020 and still have not heard anything back from them.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts. 

Hi OMO4life 

I want to know if you heard back from Ausländerbehörde for your NE case.

I have also applied for DA-Eu end of Dec. and still haven't got any reply from them.

Would be great to know your experience.

On 3.7.2020, 13:40:34, salashtt said:

Hi,

I live in Berlin. I have send my NE application by email on 17.03.2020. I got an automatic reply from them that says they will contact me but I shouldn’t send and questions before that. I know it can get longer especially during Corona but it’s almost 4 months now. My blue card will be expired on 21.01.2021. There is still time but if I’ll not get an answer until that I believe I need to apply for extension. Does anyone know how long it may take in Berlin to get an answer from them for NE?

Thanks

Hi salashtt

Would you like to share if you were successful in your application? If yes, how long did it take finally?

On 3/10/2021, 9:29:08, Eskay said:

Hi OMO4life 

I want to know if you heard back from Ausländerbehörde for your NE case.

I have also applied for DA-Eu end of Dec. and still haven't got any reply from them.

Would be great to know your experience.

Hi Eskay,

I am still waiting to hear from them. I understand that it is not a priority for them except your current Residence Permit is about to expire otherwise we just need to wait.  I dont know if anyone has heard from them lately. 

The process for my Niederlassungserlaubnis (not Berlin and pre-Covid) went very quickly. Had all my paperwork. After my appointment I would say I had the permit within a month. Really easy. Very professional.

Someone asked about the language certificate. I have heard wildly different stories about whether this is needed or not, whether speaking good German would help, depends on which state you are in, etc. In my case, they wanted to see it. I had a B1 certificate which I used for my Blue Card before and that sufficed. 

Just to bump this topic and add my own experience:

I am in the middle of NRW (not in the cities).

I applied for the NE in the first week of March (about 9 weeks ago) with a Blue Card/B1/21 Months living here.

I have not heard anything back yet, but my Blue Card expires at the end of May, so I expect to at least get the letter confirming my application before then - that will be a total of 13 weeks.

I have not had any kind of interview yet, and I am not sure whether one will be required due to the changes in lockdown measures.

On 4/27/2021, 8:24:38, MadManEarle said:

Just to bump this topic and add my own experience:

I am in the middle of NRW (not in the cities).

I applied for the NE in the first week of March (about 9 weeks ago) with a Blue Card/B1/21 Months living here.

I have not heard anything back yet, but my Blue Card expires at the end of May, so I expect to at least get the letter confirming my application before then - that will be a total of 13 weeks.

I have not had any kind of interview yet, and I am not sure whether one will be required due to the changes in lockdown measures.

I have finally heard back from the Ausländeramt, with a 6-month extension of my current Blue Card and news that the rest of my application will be processed as soon as the security check is complete. No dates were given, but this has been 15 weeks since the application. I can only assume that everything will be complete before the extended visa expires.

Hi every one

A quick question. Is it possible in case of Da-Eu that the pension contributing months of the spouse can also be counted together. Or it is just true for NE? 

Although it clearly states here in this website:

https://service.berlin.de/dienstleistung/324281/

my bearbeiterin is stating that it is only possible in case of NE but not in case of DA-EU?

An early response from you folks is highly appreciated.

Thanks

On 6/1/2021, 1:46:40, MadManEarle said:

I have finally heard back from the Ausländeramt, with a 6-month extension of my current Blue Card and news that the rest of my application will be processed as soon as the security check is complete. No dates were given, but this has been 15 weeks since the application. I can only assume that everything will be complete before the extended visa expires.

I have an appointment to pick up the NE on 1st July, a total of 4 months after the original application, and 1 month after the extension and follow-up. Slowly, then suddenly.

@MadManEarle congrats on getting your NE! And nice idea, I'm also going to share my experience here - and a link I found that could be helpful.

I applied by email to the Ausländerbehörde in Berlin on 12 July (think I'll have a while to wait yet :D). I got the automatic reply saying that my email has arrived and that they will get in touch/please don't bother them until then XD. As my application is pretty watertight I'm hoping it'll be quick and painless, but let's see...

This link is where I found the email address relevant for me (different depending on your nationality): https://www.berlin.de/einwanderung/ueber-uns/aktuelles/artikel.1041742.php - I suppose only relevant for people in Berlin.

Also specific to Berlin was this webpage: https://www.berlin.de/einwanderung/service/beratung/artikel.939879.php - Beratungsservice der Landesamt für Einwanderung. They were able to answer my question by email quite quickly. Don't know if that exists in other areas - but seeing as this page was not so obvious (had to click through a couple menus), it might also be hidden on the website of your city/state if you're not in Berlin.

30 minutes ago, aneurysm said:

@MadManEarle congrats on getting your NE! And nice idea, I'm also going to share my experience here - and a link I found that could be helpful.

Thanks! I hope that my experience can help people know what to expect.

As my application is pretty watertight I'm hoping it'll be quick and painless, but let's see...

HR at my company helped me get all the paperwork in order, and told me that I didn't need some of the documents that I collected. I thought that they knew better than I did, so I left them out. Turns out that everything I has was actually needed, so that delayed their response to my application by a few weeks.

The lesson is: always submit more than you think is required. They won't necessarily tell you what you are missing until you follow up a few times.

On 7/22/2021, 10:33:27, MadManEarle said:

The lesson is: always submit more than you think is required. They won't necessarily tell you what you are missing until you follow up a few times.

Totally agree with this. The Ämter are unlikely to be proactive and get in touch; better to submit too much than too little. I find if one presents the info well - e.g. combining relevant PDFs into one file instead of attach 500 different single-page PDFs - that even a lot of information can be easily digested and even appreciated, as it makes their job easier. That's all this is really about - make their job easy, and you're likely to get a quick(er) response.

Update for my application: I got an actual reply by email on the 23.7 - it basically said the same thing as the automatic reply (we've received the application; it's gonna take a while; we'll contact you, don't pester us), but at least it was an actual person acknowledging that my application has been received. Seeing as it took them 11 days just to do that much, I can't imagine the actual processing of my application will be very quick. But once one accepts that it can't be helped, it's a bit easier to be patient :)

39 minutes ago, aneurysm said:

we'll contact you, don't pester us

This is the tricky part. If you are missing something and don't follow up, you will be stuck in limbo forever. But if you do follow up, they take it as a bother.

I guess just best to have everything in order the first time around. ;)