Niederlassungserlaubnis: How long does it take?

18 posts in this topic

Hi Toytown folks,

I'm a EU Blue Card holder and have B1 level German, and living in Germany for 2 years, so I know I am eligible for a Niederlassungserlaubnis. I have 3 questions:

1) Suppose today I submitted the application for the NE with all the documents. From your experience, how long does it take to get the NE? I know it depends from case to case, but I just want to get a general idea, if it takes more than 3 months? I'm looking to change my job soon, and if it takes a long time, I'll apply after changing my job. But if it takes 4-8 weeks, I'll just get it done. Any experiences?

2) With the EU Blue Card there are some restrictions for a job: The job needs to be a "highly-qualified" job, the salary has to be more than a particular limit etc. Are there any restrictions at all with the Niederlassungserlaubnis? Or can I do ANY job in Germany with it?

3) I'm originally from India with an Indian passport. Will I need to make any changes to my Indian passport after getting the NE? I have my Delhi address on my passport. Does anything related to India/Indian documents change when I get a Permanent residency here in Germany?

Thanks a lot for your replies. Looking forward to the answers.

Best

Aniket

20 minutes ago, Aniket11 said:

Are there any restrictions at all with the Niederlassungserlaubnis?

No. No more restrictions.

21 minutes ago, Aniket11 said:

3) I'm originally from India with an Indian passport. Will I need to make any changes to my Indian passport after getting the NE? I have my Delhi address on my passport. Does anything related to India/Indian documents change when I get a Permanent residency here in Germany?

Germany requires you to own a valid passport at all times. If it's lost/stolen, German police can issue you a temporary emergency document, so that you comply with the law before you get a new passport. Nothing will change for you: you will still be required to have a valid passport, that's it.

On 3/25/2017, 8:41:18, Aniket11 said:

1) Suppose today I submitted the application for the NE with all the documents. From your experience, how long does it take to get the NE? I know it depends from case to case, but I just want to get a general idea, if it takes more than 3 months? I'm looking to change my job soon, and if it takes a long time, I'll apply after changing my job. But if it takes 4-8 weeks, I'll just get it done. Any experiences?

I think this will heavily depend on where in Germany you are submitting your application. Some ABH are under heavier loads than others. I can provide a data point for Berlin: I've submitted my application in early December last year, and still haven't heard back from ABH. I am actually curious if someone has done this in Berlin recently and how long it actually took. I am planning a month long trip abroad in April/May and am concerned that ABH will give me an appointment during the time that I'm away.

On 25/03/2017, 20:41:18, Aniket11 said:

Hello, I applied yesterday in Hamburg and i got an appointment in July. I have heard from many different sources that it takes min. 2 months. I do not know how it works where you live though, In Hamburg, at the hamburg welcome centre, they request you to submit all documents first. then if any missing, they will ask you to submit more info or tell you when is your next appointment. Believe it takes 4 months to get it done in Hamburg. 

I am wondering if it would be different in other bezirksamt in Hamburg. 

Anybody has also expereince in Hamburg? 

Somewhat related question: aside from checking that the documents you submit are in order, does anyone know what other checks with other agencies they do before issuing a NE? (Anything with police in Germany, BND, etc? Anything specific with Finanzamt or tax authorities? With landlord or employer?)

Just curious what they actually do aside from wait and look at papers during the wait time.

No idea, because I took in my documents in Frankfurt and it was approved there and then. I got a letter serving as temporary proof of my permanent residence, and this was even before my eligibility date by at least three weeks.

They have access to the Federal Central Criminal Register which holds all kinds of data about past crimes, confiscation of passports, prohibitions on buying weapons, denial of permit to work in certain professions, ...

16 hours ago, Zeitbuch said:

Somewhat related question: aside from checking that the documents you submit are in order, does anyone know what other checks with other agencies they do before issuing a NE? (Anything with police in Germany, BND, etc? Anything specific with Finanzamt or tax authorities? With landlord or employer?

According to §73 AufenthG they can check:

"(2) Die Ausländerbehörden können zur Feststellung von Versagungsgründen gemäß § 5 Abs. 4 oder zur Prüfung von sonstigen Sicherheitsbedenken vor der Erteilung oder Verlängerung eines Aufenthaltstitels oder einer Duldung oder Aufenthaltsgestattung die bei ihnen gespeicherten personenbezogenen Daten zu den betroffenen Personen über das Bundesverwaltungsamt an den Bundesnachrichtendienst, das Bundesamt für Verfassungsschutz, den Militärischen Abschirmdienst, das Bundeskriminalamt und das Zollkriminalamt sowie an das Landesamt für Verfassungsschutz und das Landeskriminalamt oder die zuständigen Behörden der Polizei übermitteln. Das Bundesamt für Verfassungsschutz kann bei Übermittlungen an die Landesämter für Verfassungsschutz technische Unterstützung leisten."

Bundesnachrichtendienst (BND, federal intelligence service, foreign intelligence),

Militärischer Abschirmdienst (MAD, military counter-Intelligence service), 

Zollkriminalamt (ZKA, customs investigation bureau),

the respective Landesamt für Verfassungsschutz (LfV, state intelligence service, domestic intelligence)

Landeskriminalamt (LKA, state office of criminal investigations)

and any other responsible police authority. 

Hi All,

am latching on to this tread for some advice on my situation which is related to the original query here. I applied (i.e. submitted documents, gave fingerprints and paid) for an NE under the Blue Card scheme at the ABH in Frankfurt in Feb (exactly 6 weeks ago). Although the officer told me that I would hear from them by end of March (4 weeks), I still do not have any communication. 

My question is whether I have reason to be worried that something is not right given that the stipulated 6 weeks are up, or given the situation at the ABHs nowadays, it is common to expect delays and I am just being unnecessarily impatient. Anyone who can quote from a recent experience of applying for an NE/AE at Frankfurt would be useful. @kaffeemitmilch: How long did you get yours in, and when did you apply?

Second question, on what grounds can they reject an NE application? I have held a BC for 2 years, paid SS contributions and have a B1 certificate (from Goethe). Also in a permanent job of course. Is there any reason for me to be worried?

Finally, I have a Fiktionsbescheinigung valid until the second half of May. When do I press the panic button?

Thanks in advance for insight!

Bests!

17 minutes ago, ingermany said:

Second question, on what grounds can they reject an NE application?

If you meet all the formal requirements they can't. It's not up to the discretion of the Amt.

I wouldn't be worried. March ended not even a week ago. If you feel anxious just call the Sachbearbeiter.

7 minutes ago, sneaker said:

If you meet all the formal requirements they can't. It's not up to the discretion of the Amt.

I wouldn't be worried. March ended not even a week ago. If you feel anxious just call the Sachbearbeiter.

Thanks, it crossed my mind to call/visit them. But do not want to be seen as someone too impatient, hence checking here if anyone has a recent experience I can draw on. I also heard sometimes they are just careless and despite having received the cards, do not inform the applicants!

11 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

If calling feels too pushy, try email. They respond fairly quickly.

Gute Idee! Ich muss mein Deutsch üben!!

Hi 

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering, how long did it take to get your permit ? 

I applied on 28.08.2017, I am an Engineer, hold the blue card for 2 years so far, I have B1 exam done in 2015. 

Every time I phone them they say (In Bearbeitung) they did not inform me about an estimated date ! 

I want to add that I have (unbefristet Vertrag) and I hold a master degree from Germany. I live in Baden-Württemberg, no Strafe or problems at all. I paid the Rentenversicherung and never been Arbeitslos in the country.

I appreciate any info from your side :) 

On 19.12.2017, 14:57:18, Hope Town said:

Hi 

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering, how long did it take to get your permit ? 

I applied on 28.08.2017, I am an Engineer, hold the blue card for 2 years so far, I have B1 exam done in 2015. 

Every time I phone them they say (In Bearbeitung) they did not inform me about an estimated date ! 

I want to add that I have (unbefristet Vertrag) and I hold a master degree from Germany. I live in Baden-Württemberg, no Strafe or problems at all. I paid the Rentenversicherung and never been Arbeitslos in the country.

I appreciate any info from your side :) 

Hi,

I got it fairly quickly, I applied beginning of April last year and within one month had my appointment at the Ausländeramt. Thereafter it took around 1,5 months (the usual 6-8 weeks) and then I got the Permit. Hope you have got yours by now.

To record my experience, I applied for NE in Cologne in May (I was required to send PDFs of all of my required documents to the Amt) and got an appointment late July. When I went in for the interview, I had to bring in my passport, current visa and a biometric photo which they all checked. I paid the processing fee approx 120€ and then they told me it would take 4-8 weeks till I would receive a letter telling me I could pick up my new permit. I am still waiting for that letter but am sure it will come in soon :)

The NE is tied to the passport at the time when you apply. If you renew your native passport, you will need to inform the german Amt, they will check everything, and then you'll get an appointment to go back to the Amt and pay a renewal fee for them to issue you a new NE card tied to that new passport (about 80€). This is what I was told

On 06/04/2017, 14:23:37, sneaker said:

Hi on my own case, I am abit worried.. Niederlassungserlaubnis application has been submitted 6weeks ago, gave fingerprints and paid 113e still no abholschein sent