Change residence

7 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I researched in the forum, bu there are threads from 2004, other newer but got confused with the current requirements.

I will change house soon in Frankfurt and was wondering with the necessary changes to do:

unitymedia - understood that I should get in contact

car - I have a foreign driving license but do I need to change something in car registration? If yes, where in Frankfurt?

electricity - do i need to provide some i go?

tv fees - also do I need to contact?

Maybe is there someone who passed the same and could indicate the best way to proceed?

thanks

Hi @Criolo,

so you are already living in Frankfurt and just change house, do I understand that correctly? If so, this is the to-do list:

Unitymedia: Contact them asap; also check if and what kind of cable fees (packages?) are included in your new rental contract in the Nebenkosten section. 

TV fees: If you mean GEZ fees, you don't need to do anything, they'll find you anyway :lol:

Car: I assume your car already has a Zulassung in Frankfurt (is registered)? If yes, the simple change of address may be done when you do your general Ummeldung at the Bürgeramt (see below). I don't own a car, but the Bürgeramt clerk can tell you more.

Electricity: When doing an Übergabeprotokoll with your landlord on the day of the handover of the old apartment, also write down the readings on the meters (electricity and water). Then submit the electricity readings to your supplier (in case it's the city's energy provider, Mainova) and request a final bill (Schlussrechnung) because you're moving out. Independently of that and about 14 before moving to the new house, you should set up a new contract with let's say Mainova or any other provider. Choose a tariff, e.g. one of Mainova, Produkte, and go to their office or set up an account and a new contract online.

Ummeldung at the Bürgeramt: This is important and needs to be done within 2 weeks of moving to the new house. In order to register your new address, you need to go to the central Bürgeramt or one of its branches in the city and bring a bunch of documents, see Ummeldung einer Wohnung:

– your identity cards/passports (+ those of family members living with you)

– a Wohnungsgeberbestätigung by your new landlord (statement that you are his tenant); see link to form on the right side of website beneath Musterformular

– if applicable, marriage certificate and birth certificate of children (don't know if that's really necessary in case of an Ummeldung in the same city)

– your car papers

Take a deep breath and head to one of the Bürgerämter, draw a number and be prepared to wait (last time it took me over an hour). If you want to go to the central Bürgeramt on Zeil, you can set up an appointmentment online.

Congrats, (I think) you're done!

On 22.3.2017, 20:30:13, Criolo said:

car - I have a foreign driving license

Are you sure it´s still valid in Germany? There may be a time limit for non-EU licenses.

11 minutes ago, jeba said:

Are you sure it´s still valid in Germany? There may be a time limit for non-EU licenses.

Profile says Spanish, so EU licence is fine.

7 hours ago, RainyDays said:

Hi @Criolo,

so you are already living in Frankfurt and just change house, do I understand that correctly? If so, this is the to-do list:

Unitymedia: Contact them asap; also check if and what kind of cable fees (packages?) are included in your new rental contract in the Nebenkosten section. 

TV fees: If you mean GEZ fees, you don't need to do anything, they'll find you anyway :lol:

Car: I assume your car already has a Zulassung in Frankfurt (is registered)? If yes, the simple change of address may be done when you do your general Ummeldung at the Bürgeramt (see below). I don't own a car, but the Bürgeramt clerk can tell you more.

Electricity: When doing an Übergabeprotokoll with your landlord on the day of the handover of the old apartment, also write down the readings on the meters (electricity and water). Then submit the electricity readings to your supplier (in case it's the city's energy provider, Mainova) and request a final bill (Schlussrechnung) because you're moving out. Independently of that and about 14 before moving to the new house, you should set up a new contract with let's say Mainova or any other provider. Choose a tariff, e.g. one of Mainova, Produkte, and go to their office or set up an account and a new contract online.

Ummeldung at the Bürgeramt: This is important and needs to be done within 2 weeks of moving to the new house. In order to register your new address, you need to go to the central Bürgeramt or one of its branches in the city and bring a bunch of documents, see Ummeldung einer Wohnung:

– your identity cards/passports (+ those of family members living with you)

– a Wohnungsgeberbestätigung by your new landlord (statement that you are his tenant); see link to form on the right side of website beneath Musterformular

– if applicable, marriage certificate and birth certificate of children (don't know if that's really necessary in case of an Ummeldung in the same city)

– your car papers

Take a deep breath and head to one of the Bürgerämter, draw a number and be prepared to wait (last time it took me over an hour). If you want to go to the central Bürgeramt on Zeil, you can set up an appointmentment online.

Congrats, (I think) you're done!

Many thanks for you effort. It is highly appreciated!

If I may, I would have few questions:

- in electricity, you mentioned independently of the handover, 14 days before to move to the new house, I should set-up a new tariff with Mainova? Would that be possible? Since I would have still 1 month to stay in the old house but my intention is to move things and maybe live already shortly in the new house. 

- could you precise elaborate on the cable fees, is there something I shall look for?

- tv fees, no need to worry then, although I read somewhere that I should inform them? Would they know anyway?

Thanks a lot. I have an EU driving license.

Sorry for the delay, but here is what I think:

Electricity, contract for the new house: I read on the Mainova homepage that they recommend to set up the new contract about 2 weeks before the move, but that is a bit arbitrary. The logical start would be when you get the keys for the new apartment/house, do another Übergabeprotokoll with the new landlord and also write down the meter readings. The provider will ask for the initial reading of the power meter. With the start of the lease, you also take over the monthly payments for electricity. If in doubt, ask the landlord.

Cable fees: In many (most?) apartment buildings, there is one collective contract with a cable net provider at least for TV, maybe also internet, with each inhabitant paying their share. In order to avoid double payments, I would check what kind of arrangement exists, again just ask the landlord.

TV fees: To be on the safe side, one should indeed notify the entity formerly known as GEZ of any changes of address and, more importantly, bank details. Here's the link (first enter your current address, then in the second step the new one): Rundfunkbeitrag

It is definitely recommended to use the Nachsendeservice by Deutsche Post to make sure that letters reach you at the new address. Needs to be done at least 5 week days before the move, better earlier.

Here's a checklist of whom to inform of the change of address, but only some things might apply to you: checklist