Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Thinking of changing from Vodafone DSL to Unitymedia Cable

24 posts in this topic

As our Vodafone DSL (6000 Bandbreite) isn't very good, my husband's colleague gave him the idea to change to cable internet and landline. Vodafone don't offer cable and I finally discover that there is already a Unitymedia cable connected in our house. This isn't quite certain as our house is a semi (xx and xxA) and when built, the 'A' got changed to our neighbour a year later...no idea why. The neighbor doesn't have cable according to UM.  They couldn't suggest a way of physically checking for a connection. 

I've read other threads suggesting that UM is OK in terms of service and support. Is cable internet/phone really better or is it best to stick to Vodafone and upgrade to a faster DSL option?  Are there some basic pros and cons?  Any advice would be very much appreciated as my husband and I are really quite technically clueless :)

Quick update...I rang Vodafone earlier and they offered an increase from DSL 6Mbit/s to DSL 16MBit/s plus a whole lot of freebies for 5€ per month less than we are currently paying...24,99€ instead of 29,99€. Sounded great and I double checked the details to make sure I hadn't misunderstood.  I was told that that it is their standard 'customer retention' offer so no need to note the details on our account.  

After I spoke to my husband, we decided to go for the offer so I rang them again and was told...noooo that's not right, you have to pay an extra 5€ per month 'Regio Zuschlag' and what I'd already been quoted was wrong.

Annoyed, I rang again to ask for an offer from scratch as they don't note conversations. Finally got to a very honest advisor who  told me that given our address, more than 6Mbit/s isn't even possible due to the distance to our house. An online speed checker suggests that it is currently running at proper speed.  When I told her about previous conversations and offers with colleagues she said that of course, they can sell the 16Mbit/s package (their current minimum offer)  though nothing more than 6 can be delivered to our house.  And no, a fancy router won't make WLAN better.  

I guess the moral of the stupid story is to ask that what you are being sold is ACTUALLY deliverable to your address. They sold my husband a TV package a few years ago though it wasn't even available at our address.   That took a few hassle calls to get our money back. 

Time to see what Unitymedia can offer...

15 hours ago, emkay said:

Quick update...I rang Vodafone earlier and they offered an increase from DSL 6Mbit/s to DSL 16MBit/s plus a whole lot of freebies for 5€ per month less than we are currently paying...24,99€ instead of 29,99€. Sounded great and I double checked the details to make sure I hadn't misunderstood.  I was told that that it is their standard 'customer retention' offer so no need to note the details on our account.  

After I spoke to my husband, we decided to go for the offer so I rang them again and was told...noooo that's not right, you have to pay an extra 5€ per month 'Regio Zuschlag' and what I'd already been quoted was wrong.

Annoyed, I rang again to ask for an offer from scratch as they don't note conversations. Finally got to a very honest advisor who  told me that given our address, more than 6Mbit/s isn't even possible due to the distance to our house. An online speed checker suggests that it is currently running at proper speed.  When I told her about previous conversations and offers with colleagues she said that of course, they can sell the 16Mbit/s package (their current minimum offer)  though nothing more than 6 can be delivered to our house.  And no, a fancy router won't make WLAN better.  

I guess the moral of the stupid story is to ask that what you are being sold is ACTUALLY deliverable to your address. They sold my husband a TV package a few years ago though it wasn't even available at our address.   That took a few hassle calls to get our money back. 

Time to see what Unitymedia can offer...

It's one of the things I have learnt here. Everything depends on which German you talk to. They seem to make their own rules.

1 hour ago, Adem137 said:

It's one of the things I have learnt here. Everything depends on which German you talk to. They seem to make their own rules.

It really helps to try to get as clued up as possible before buying anything on a contract. At least I had a crash course on German technical vocabulary. My husband got me to phone vodafone again.  I asked nicely to speak to a manager as I had been given various conflicting advice. When I asked the 'right' question...what is the maximum MBit speed deliverable to our house...I got the right answer, nothing more than we have. The bloke was really nice and apologetic and wanted to speak English with me.  He admitted that there are some significant problems and inaccuracies in the selling process that he is aiming to resolve. Re cable, he 'congratulated' us for already having a connection at that he would strongly advise us to move to unitymedia. He said his mum works for them and they are good. 

Another quick example of asking the right question...our showers use lots of water per second.  I rang the manufacturer to ask which replacement shower heads can be used to reduce the flow.  Between 60€ and 110€. After a bit of googling, what I should have asked was...what can be adjusted in the sower head to reduce water flow.  A simple 3€ insert.  I asked them for the part number and bought them from eBay. 

What a waste of time...turns out, as I suspected, the cable connection lies next door.  I don't get why UM couldn't confirm this as I told them it's possible that the address was mixed up with the neighbour.  I even suggested that if our neighbour has a contract with them (I gave their name) then that must mean we don't have a connection. 

Engineer turned up, nope, only our neighbour Fam. W has a UM connection. Apparently, UM may do a Lückenfüller connection as Long as if doesn't exceed 1500€. It would mean digging up the garden, terrace and risk damage to the underfloor heating. No chance. 

I couldn't care less about faster internet though husband often gets annoyed. Too bad.  He needs to learn to relax more about things that just don't matter.  :D

Call Telekom and ask them if "Hybrid" is available...

It usually is andcam be anything upto 100MBps... where just 1MBps is available via landline!

6 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Call Telekom and ask them if "Hybrid" is available...

It usually is andcam be anything upto 100MBps... where just 1MBps is available via landline!

Thanks for the suggestion.  I looked up the Verfügbarkeit for our address and it looks like it's available in to 50mbit/s.  Odd it's the same price as 16mbit/s.  All sounds very promising...thanks. I'll phone to check tomorrow. 

The UM bloke wants to come to talk to us about another possibility other than digging up the garden etc.  He's looked  at the plans of the cables and reckons they could just dig up a bit of the road outside of our boundary, find the Telekom cable and push a connection through the cable duct.  It'd be about a 6 meter shove. 

If you can get UM to connect the house for free or cheaply I'd do it. Some people have gotten quotes in the xx,xxx Euro range for such things so you shouldn't pass on a good opportunity. Always good to have a choice of both cable and DSL.

On 23.3.2017, 08:29:19, Adem137 said:

Yes, that is generally so, but people in Bavaria are Weltmeister's in trying to make people fools and idiots, until you teach them a lesson. I have never experienced such unprofesionality, stupidity, lazyness, total incompetence and so high dosage of lies like in that s***hole. 

41 minutes ago, stormwatch said:

Yes, that is generally so, but people in Bavaria are Weltmeister's in trying to make people fools and idiots, until you teach them a lesson. I have never experienced such unprofesionality, stupidity, lazyness, total incompetence and so high dosage of lies like in that s***hole. 

I don't understand why Germans tolerate this kind of service level, hence it rampantly continues.  When I spoke to the Vodafone manager I suggested to him that such lies were surely misconduct at best and fraudulent at worst.  All he could say was that he didn't disagree with that.

@sneaker,  I too think that the UM option sounds best at the moment  if it will work, especially as it won't cost anything over the standard 70€ connection fee.  I remember now that Vodafone sold my mum some cr*p system.  It was supposedly a pensioner's special offer. When the phone rarely worked, I went over to see how it was set-up. Also some kind of combo system with a SIM card in the router.  She doesn't even use the internet.  When I rang Vodafone about it, their answer was 'what does your mother expect? You get what you pay for'.  I'd imagine that the older generation are the main rip-off targets. 

1 hour ago, emkay said:

I don't understand why Germans tolerate this kind of service level, hence it rampantly continues.  When I spoke to the Vodafone manager I suggested to him that such lies were surely misconduct at best and fraudulent at worst.  All he could say was that he didn't disagree with that.

@sneaker,  I too think that the UM option sounds best at the moment  if it will work, especially as it won't cost anything over the standard 70€ connection fee.  I remember now that Vodafone sold my mum some cr*p system.  It was supposedly a pensioner's special offer. When the phone rarely worked, I went over to see how it was set-up. Also some kind of combo system with a SIM card in the router.  She doesn't even use the internet.  When I rang Vodafone about it, their answer was 'what does your mother expect? You get what you pay for'.  I'd imagine that the older generation are the main rip-off targets. 

Germans doesn't have to tolerate such poor customer service,  because customer service with natives is much more different in approach than with Foreigners. In their eyes, we're all idiots who have seen internet, telephone and the door bell for the first time in our lifes when we came here, so they think they're allowed to legally make us all idiots according to their will. 

2 hours ago, stormwatch said:

That's why they put huge restrictions (official and unofficial, legal and not) for foreigners that want to work in the service sector...They are terrified of the 'Polish plumber' (positive) phenomenon that happened in the UK, which means...More competent and hard-working foreigners 'forcing' the locals to stop drinking beer from dawn until dusk, and get back to work (that's why some of the Brexit votes were simply lazy people tired of being forced to become better at their job).

52 minutes ago, BryanMills said:

That's why they put huge restrictions (official and unofficial, legal and not) for foreigners that want to work in the service sector...They are terrified of the 'Polish plumber' (positive) phenomenon that happened in the UK, which means...More competent and hard-working foreigners 'forcing' the locals to stop drinking beer from dawn until dusk, and get back to work (that's why some of the Brexit votes were simply lazy people tired of being forced to become better at their job).

Hah, finally somebody speaks the truth, slowly but surely England will pay for brexit :-). Germans would never admit that the quality of buildings here is greatly improved since the "third world" bricklayers, painters, electricians, plumbers, civil engineers, designers and so on started to come in greater number. Just take a look at goo'old German altbau buildings, it's shame that something like that could be built in the middle of Europe. I have a few friends who are professional electricians from the third world country, they have their base in BW, but are working all across the country. And since they're doing most of the jobs on the new construction sites, they're also often called to fix "quality" work of their native predecessor friends, and in many cases they have just horror stories about how badly, lazy and amateurish the electrical installations are done by the gooo'old super pro electricians here. 

3 hours ago, stormwatch said:

Hah, finally somebody speaks the truth, slowly but surely England will pay for brexit :-). Germans would never admit that the quality of buildings here is greatly improved since the "third world" bricklayers, painters, electricians, plumbers, civil engineers, designers and so on started to come in greater number. 

You fucking bell end!

300 years after Columbus discovered America ( Allegedly)  my Farm house is still standing...  built from wood,Mud and horse shit!

FUCK ALL to do with any polish cheap-skate worker!

8 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

You fucking bell end!

300 years after Columbus discovered America ( Allegedly)  my Farm house is still standing...  built from wood,Mud and horse shit!

FUCK ALL to do with any polish cheap-skate worker!

If your house is still standing after all those years, it just means one thing - you have a very mild weather there, and have never experienced a real winter. Because if you did have a true winter in your old country, you will see how a poor quality horse shit breaks on low temperatures. On the other side, you have to check how our ancestors (Germans, Hungarians and Slavs) in east europe were building houses, they're all built to withstand rough weather conditions for that part of Europe, with temperatures in winter going down to -30c and in summer +45c. So you know you need some serious stuff to make them stand when you have 75c span during the year. So, they built Sheds with quality mud and other much more important ingredient - their own shit. Even today, when they fix shed floors, they use their own shit in making the fundament stronger and durable. 

I am going to add Idiot to your repetoir!

You clearly are some "wannabe troll"

11 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

I am going to add Idiot to your repetoir!

You clearly are some "wannabe troll"

Don't get angry so fast. There is always ignore button. And if you can stand the truth that people were building houses with their own shit, then it's only your bad taste problem. People in other parts of Europe did not receive everything served under their sorry asses like you "first world" "civilised" westerners did. In east Europe, people had to give from their asses in order to make something - And that is the big difference between spoiled pricks and true survivors - but you would never understand that.

Interesting how a telecoms topic progresses to building houses with shit :blink:.

@stormwatch, how many older generation working class Germans do you know?  

6 minutes ago, emkay said:

Interesting how a telecoms topic progresses to building houses with shit :blink:.

@stormwatch, how many older generation working class Germans do you know?  

:D:D:D I really like your comment about telecom -> shit. 

I know a few of them. But I can't say that all of them did their job superficialy, there are parts of Germany (western parts mostly), where older generation know how to make quality buildings. 

5 minutes ago, stormwatch said:

:D:D:D I really like your comment about telecom -> shit. 

I know a few of them. But I can't say that all of them did their job superficialy, there are parts of Germany (western parts mostly), where older generation know how to make quality buildings. 

Of course there are the privileged though the great majority were not. I know many working class older generation from east and west Germany including my extended family. None of them ever had anything 'served under their sorry as*es'.