Fraud in Ebay kleinanzeigen

87 posts in this topic

Recently I had paid a seller EUR 500 to buy an item in Ebay kleinanzeigen. But after getting the money he doesn't respond, he looks like to be a fraud. I contacted eBay, they said to contact the police. I transferred this money through SEPA bank transfer (to his IBAN). What are my legal options to get back the money? Please help me. 

I read this post. Shall I do the same?

https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/208637-how-to-get-a-court-payment-order-mahnbescheid/

You are now 500€ poorer, but a million € wiser.

There is little chance to get that money back. File a complaint though, just for the consolation.

NEVER transfer money on Kleinanzeigen. It's written in their policies. Either cash in hand or PayPal.

9 minutes ago, mikin said:

Recently I had paid a seller EUR 500 to buy an item in Ebay kleinanzeigen. But after getting the money he doesn't respond, he looks like to be a fraud. I contacted eBay, they said to contact the police. I transferred this money through SEPA bank transfer (to his IBAN). What are my legal options to get back the money? Please help me. 

I read this post. Shall I do the same?

https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/208637-how-to-get-a-court-payment-order-mahnbescheid/

Did you go to his address to see the item and then pay?  eBay Kleinanzeigen doesn't offer the same level of security as eBay does, even less so when not paying with PayPal. Depending on the type of item for sale, they do issue various warnings when viewing listings i.e. Mobile phones and others high value items.

What type of item did you pay for? Do you have name,  address and contact number?

Have you been to his address or do you mean his bank address? Have you googled searched his name, address and Phone number? If it's his home address how far away from you is it? Can you go there?

It's far. I din't go to his address. I googled but there were no information. Unfortunate I don't want go to his address and mess myself. 

3 hours ago, mikin said:

It's far. I din't go to his address. I googled but there were no information. Unfortunate I don't want go to his address and mess myself. 

All these details are for the cops. This person may or may not have faked them, most likely the former. Sometimes the bank account may not even belong to that person.

Halo.. i try to buy some car part from ebay klenanzeigen ... but seems the seller not interested selling to overseas buyer... is there any information what is the problem?

What should i do? I often by from ebay.de and got no problem ... 

Regards

42 minutes ago, Rasco said:

Halo.. i try to buy some car part from ebay klenanzeigen ... but seems the seller not interested selling to overseas buyer... is there any information what is the problem?

What should i do? I often by from ebay.de and got no problem ... 

Regards

You have to go to the regular ebay. Klenanzeigen is just for local, you show up pay cash. 

Would you share an IBAN with a buyer?

The items are not expensive so if the buyer forget to transfer the money it is no big loss (don't tell them that!) but I am never sure if it is safe to share your IBAN.

Would you share your IBAN?

36 minutes ago, donaby said:

If I expect a buyer to transfer the money – of course. It's the only way to get the money into my account ... 

16 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

If I expect a buyer to transfer the money – of course. It's the only way to get the money into my account ... 

Seems like I should have no concerns about sharing account numbers. I defiantly would not share a credit card number...

A regular consumer can't do anything with an account number. You have to be a business and approved to deal with direct debit authorizations.

What's more, you can reclaim any direct debit within 6 weeks.

Every business in Germany prints its account information in the footer of its letterhead. There's no danger in sharing.

Actually, the other guy bears the bigger risk, because if you don't deliver, he doesn't have any recourse for getting his money back - which brings us full circle, back to how this thread got started.

5 hours ago, donaby said:

No.

4 hours ago, someonesdaughter said:

No.

First, Kleinanzeige is for people living in the same municipality, so personal meeting, a handshake and cash are expected.

Second, I would be very suspicious of people who buy something on eBay (regular eBay) but do not have PayPal.

A regular consumer can't do anything with an account number. You have to be a business and approved to deal with direct debit authorizations.

What's more, you can reclaim any direct debit within 6 weeks.

IBAN together with billing address and a name is enough to buy things over the internet. Yes, you can cancel all that illegal direct debits, but typically you will also need to go to the police and file Anzeige, because otherwise canceled debit will not be accepted, you will receive a Mahnung.

Certain federal states do not accept online Anzeige (in particular, Bavaria), so you have to visit police personally. To spare that, better just not to accept bank transfers.

12 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

No.

No.

First, Kleinanzeige is for people living in the same municipality, so personal meeting, a handshake and cash are expected.

I don't see any ebay Kleinanzeigen reference in donaby's post. Donaby is not the op.

Second, I would be very suspicious of people who buy something on eBay (regular eBay) but do not have PayPal.

As a seller I don't accept Paypal, why would I want to pay to receive money? 

IBAN together with billing address and a name is enough to buy things over the internet.

A billing address and a name is enough to buy things over the internet, no need for the IBAN. :) 

I add it into my costs when I prepare a receipt for the customer involving my leather business. Consider I recently sold a bag and matching wallet for 650€, I added in the 11€, as the customer explained prior their wish to use PayPal.

For home items on Ebay that I wish to remove, I don't really care about the 1,9%.  I'm just happy the old bleedin thing is gone! 

PayPal is convenient for buyers and sellers as the funds are transmitted immediately. 

30 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

As a seller I don't accept Paypal, why would I want to pay to receive money? 

Your choice. I don't buy from anyone who accepts only bank transfers. Too many risks associated with this payment form.

PayPal offers protection for both parties without resorting to the courts.

43 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

Your choice.

Thanks, too kind.

I don't buy from anyone who accepts only bank transfers.

Fine, my approach keeps the paranoiacs away (at least those that think sharing their IBAN is too risky and give it happily to the data miners at Paypal). :) 

No, the risk, in this case, is not from sharing IBAN (you bear this risk by your choice). The risk is that you will not accept refund, and I will have no means to recover the money except sending a Mahnbescheid and paying at least 32 euro for that. 

In case of credit card or PayPal payment there is a strict procedure which I can follow and get my money very fast.

Bank transfer = I have to know you and trust you that you will do refunds in timely manner.

data miners at Paypal

LOL, and who is paranoid. PayPal is a bank supervised by Commission de Surveillance du Secteur Financier of Luxembourg. Sharing your bank details with 3rd parties is illegal and will have very tough consequences for them.