someone playing games with me on ebay

20 posts in this topic

So, I sold something on eBay. The buyer told me they wanted to come and pick the item up this week and asked me when I would be home. I told the person when. Then a day later I get a message through eBay from the buyer that they would like to meet me at Hbf and could we pick a time. I messaged a time to meet and where at Hbf. Now I have just received another message from someone else saying they would like to pick the package up for the buyer (although using the wrong screen name for the buyer) and would I please set up a time. Now my scam radar is going up and I am wondering what precautions I should set up for any potential legal scenarios. The item only sold for 16 Euros and I thought the person lived in Stuttgart or nearby and wanted to save the shipping charges, which are 5 Euros. I don't really know how much trouble I could be put into with this situation. Any suggestions of what I should do?

edit: I gave the buyer my Handy number in case we had trouble finding each other and the last message was sent to me SMS and not through eBay.

What I see is that they know a particular time that you won't be home if you are meeting them at Hbf., assuming you initially gave them your address.

Does sound fishy.

Listen to your gut.

I think I would report this to Ebay, and see what they say.

My opinion is that it stinks.

Definitely sounds very odd. If it were me, I'd write to the buyer via eBay messenger and say the item is no longer for sale...broken, lost, damaged etc especially as it's a low value item.  Do you have other higher value items for sale on eBay?

There are endless stories of dodgy situations, mainly through eBay Kleinanzeigen. Sellers can easily have their item stolen and buyers can be lured to addresses and robbed of the cash intended to buy an item. Not so much here in Germany though I'm sure it will escalate. 

ETA...I've also heard of the strategy that a buyer looks at items you've bought to potentially rob you at your home or at a meeting place especially high value items like a mobile, watch,  jewellery etc.  I've not yet fathomed how to hide the previous items bought or sold (items marked as private in feedback). Can anyone give me a clue how to do that?  

Send an email to the buyer telling them they have two days to arrange a pickup that is suitable and that you have to have the name of the person who will pick it up and that person must show their ID. Make the pick up place directly in front of a police station. If they do not agree to this and follow through, immediately report it to Ebay.

Did you originally put the item up for sale as a "pick up only"?

If not, tell the buyer that something has come up and you will have to post it to him. When he won't give you his address...

Pickup was not listed as an option. I really didn't think much of it but now I've let the buyer know I will only ship the item and he has 30 days. There's an eBay board that says 30 days is the required time to keep the transaction open under EU law. Don't know if it's correct but it's already done. 

I just started to use eBay to sell a lot of stuff that's just laying around. I've been buying stuff off the bay for years with no problems untill a few months ago when someone hijacked my account. Now this. Hate to see a good selling platform go bad but the thieves are apparently learning how to use computers.

47 minutes ago, optimista said:

Call or sms the buyer?

Well, I guess that's what started the alarm bells in my head. It was another party who sent me an sms so It is not a direct number to the seller. Anyways the Item will sell easily enough later on. I don't expect to hear anything more from them.

7 minutes ago, trr said:

Pickup was not listed as an option. I really didn't think much of it but now I've let the buyer know I will only ship the item and he has 30 days. There's an eBay board that says 30 days is the required time to keep the transaction open under EU law.

Well done!

5 minutes ago, trr said:

Pickup was not listed as an option. I really didn't think much of it but now I've let the buyer know I will only ship the item and he has 30 days. There's an eBay board that says 30 days is the required time to keep the transaction open under EU law. Don't know if it's correct but it's already done. 

I just started to use eBay to sell a lot of stuff that's just laying around. I've been buying stuff off the bay for years with no problems untill a few months ago when someone hijacked my account. Now this. Hate to see a good selling platform go bad but the thieves are apparently learning how to use computers.

Just curious...how did you know your account was hijacked? What did you have to do?

I've sold a few bits here and there but the hassle factor was high. Just sold my last item today and won't bother for a long time...if ever. Yes, the thieves are getting very smart.  I also read that you have to beware of members following you though I don't think that you can see who they are. Likely previous buyers or sellers who know your address. 

Sounds like a scam. I was a cop in the US before I moved here and frequently saw weird stuff like this from Ebay and Craigslist. Id stay away from it. Did you copy their handy number into facebook and see if it comes up with a profile? Did you google their sms number? It might come up on a fraud site or another website where people complain about that number or report it being used for shady activities. 

The item has sold. When I gave her an ultimatum today (after she offered me this time to send the money minus shipping through PayPal and then meeting when it was convenient for me to giver her the item) that I would terminate the sale if they didn't move on the deal in a hurry, the buyer messaged me and said she was coming to pick it up and there she was 20 minutes later (well, either she or her friend), with the cash in hand, apologizing for what she now understood was a weird way to do business on her part. 

Go figure. At least I stayed diplomatic. 

I've picked up a few things in Berlin, it can be slightly awkward but it can also be very interesting. The last time I picked up some military books from a very friendly and interesting guy who was an Islamic scholar and who showed me his re-enactment fighting gear, clothing and spear from the Islamic side of the crusades fighting. I like it when life is interesting.

Well done trr, good solution, no blood on the carpet!

black1 - we've also had a couple of really interesting experiences via ebay kleinanzeigen, picking things up from unexpected places, meeting some great folks - we bought bargainous brennholz from a couple who had just bought a property with 'some wood' out the back. Well, the previous owner had lived there on his own, and had cut and split himself at least 100 RM of various types of wood. It was unbelievable, stacked up right over the back terrace of the house, only a narrow path left to the door.. Many 'ich und mein Holz' jokes, and a bit of jolliness all round, really pleasant.

Kleinanzeigen is starting to be used by weird people like Craigslist. My last experience was trying to sell a guitar amplifier that is mainly to be used in concerts or at least in rehearsal places. The guy made an appoinment, he was always very polite, then he showed up with his girlfriend and his guitatr and he looked like those people that are socially awkward. Then he proceed to blast the amplifier for like 30 minutes and it was around 9pm. I expected my neighbors to come to complain or worse, to call the police. Then the guy only said: Sorry I don't like its sound. He packed and left. The girlfriend was all the time on her smartphone. And the amp is an industry standard amp, it is not like he was trying something weird.

The positive thing was that he was an awesome player and it was quite interesting to see him play. But I just looked and didn't say anything, maybe that was the problem.

Under no circumstances (zero) would I give my home address to a stranger.  Even if I was selling furniture, I'd meet elsewhere and then go to my home together.

I never assume I'm smarter than a thief.