Trump refuses a handshake to Merkel

142 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Erdmann said:

The video is public. People can watch it and decide for themselves (it's right in the beginning 00:59. So it's at the start of the second minute. Technically I'm not wrong).

So you can keep denying the facts. :rolleyes:

What facts? Stoltenberg says something about Donald Trumps opinion six months ago and that makes his strange saturdays tweets about inexistents "debt" a 'fact'?This is ' alternative facts'. There is no debt. Stoltenberg says exactly nothing to support Trumps claims or to falsify what Daalder or von der Leyen say. 

No one owes the US anything. That's fact. 

2 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

No one owes the US anything. That's fact. 

It's debatable, and better minds are debating it too. I do not think that money that was put in was like a college booze collection. "All spent bro, no refunds." Doesn't go that way.

If X country is spending extra % money to keep an organization active, that money may be recouped at a later point of time. Basic math. :)

9 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

14 minutes ago, zeino said:

Likewise, the US has the option to spend less. But it has a politics also based on this spending I think. 

Maybe they might, from this year onwards.

It was the previous administration that just kept paying extra, and let the member states eat the cake and have it too. So Trump being vilified here is kind of hypocritical.

Do you really think the US will claim such money from Germany?

23 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

28 minutes ago, zeino said:

Do you really think the US will claim such money from Germany?

Maybe they might, maybe not. Even if they do, it's perfectly justifiable. If they don't pay, probably US will minimise their share from now on. I mean do we really expect this President to retort with old school diplomacy? :lol:

I was no fan of NATO by the way. I'm having second thoughts after hearing people whine about Trump's statement. :lol:

I don't know what these numbers actually mean. NATO is not EU where you pay something to the Brussels, and then get EU subsidies back. Oder?

I mean, each country funds own army, so that in case of attack on any NATO member this army can be also used to defend this member. You surely can't rely on Luxembourg in case of attack of Russia on Poland, even if they spend 20% of GDP on the defense. Oder?

German Bundeswehr is the biggest army in the EU, so just because it's spending less in terms of GDP doesn't mean it spends too less. It only means that Germany has a big GDP. Poland spends a lot in terms of GDP because it has lower GDP, not because it spends a lot.

2 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

I don't know what these numbers actually mean.

Then you should probably avoid speculating. Thank you.

Quite simply the US pays more into NATO because it retains their sphere of influence. 

The Donald obviously doesn't understand this. Let him withdraw his support for NATO based on lack of investment from Europeans and let's see how Russia reacts. LOL

I don't know. We come from different geographies. Our life experiences are different, and so are our political opinions. I don't know what the priorities of a US citizen is in terms of terror, security etc. But I know that Europe has started experiencing effects of constant warring in the Middle East more closely, is having new encounters, just like we are to a degree. I sometimes feel, all of us sitting in our geographies, have kind of migrated to a war zone - be it emotional, unfounded or very real.  

To me, security is a total concept that includes stability, solution of problems created by constant war in the area, women's and others' sexual and mental etc security, including everyone all the way from these areas to new settlement places. Militarism is contagious. It has spread to civilians. We have been watching this for 10 years now. 

Afghanistan, years of military presence, Taliban support is above 90 percent. What is this?

I also consider human issues among costs, Germany is one of the countries that put money into this. Not everything is weapons etc IMO. Actually, that may be the very problem. 

And I don't think there is any country particularly benevolent in things like NATO. Armaments is an industry. I cannot interpret these like some people here, but I have a feeling that this is not exactly about benevolence, so I don't agree with "whining", either. I think we should "whine" more actually for immediate peace building. It will take what, 6 months to clear terror in the area if the US, Turkey and Russia do this cooperation thing that they spoke about last week. 

Then it will be a longer period of dismantling the mechanism that produces extremist terror, which means we will have to revise some of our approaches, too. Like the clash of civilizations theses, this and that - that became fashionable despite their theoretical shortcomings. Incredible.  

Yeah, I think NATO should be busy with these for a bit :) 

The real issue worldwide are the discontents; whether that is someone from the UK threatened by eastern Europeans, Americans threatened by globalisation, or Germans threatened by immigration; it is the fear of those that feel marginalised but in reality are better off than most.

The right, those with nationalistic and fascist ideologies, are taking advantage of these fears to propagate their own twisted agenda. 

They want to make you feel separate, they want you to blame your woes on others, not yourself. Religion, race, ethnicity are really easy targets and you will accept these arguments if you feel you are being shafted.

People, these are the politics of hate. The people that control and lead are the only ones that will benefit from them. This isn't fake news, this is the truth, and unless ordinary people wake up to it we are totally fucked.

5 hours ago, topcat 1 said:

The real issue worldwide are the discontents; whether that is someone from the UK threatened by eastern Europeans, Americans threatened by globalisation, or Germans threatened by immigration; it is the fear of those that feel marginalised but in reality are better off than most.

What a load of c**p. The issue is that the political elite think they can do what the f**k they want and get away with it. Brexit and Trump was not a vote about hate but a vote about what is wrong with the current political establishment.

7 hours ago, zeino said:

Taliban support is above 90 percent

What does this mean? There have been times in the past like the late nineties when the Taliban controlled 90% of the country, but as a predominantly Pashtun, Islamic fundamentalist group they have never, ever received anything like "90% support" from the Afghan population. 

17 minutes ago, john_b said:

What does this mean? 

What I think she might mean is that the support now might be above 90% because the majority of Afghans are now in Europe. 

I'll wait for the OP to respond.

As for Afghans in Europe, you really don't know what you are talking about. The population of Afghanistan is 33 million, with at various times some 4-6 million refugees in Pakistan & Iran. Roughly a quarter of a million Afghans are currently in Germany, there are significantly fewer in the UK. The "majority" would be over 16 million. 

So your comment is not based on any credible evidence whatsoever, but at least the subject matter does make up the vast majority of your postings on TT. You really need to get out more.

6 minutes ago, john_b said:

As for Afghans in Europe, you really don't know what you are talking about. The population of Afghanistan is 33 million, with at various times some 4-6 million refugees in Pakistan & Iran. Roughly a quarter of a million Afghans are currently in Germany, there are significantly fewer in the UK. The "majority" would be over 16 million. 

I already tried this with math. Doesn't work.

The idea that only a tiny minority of migrants actually manages to get into Europe is ruining the whole religion. How then you can say „Merkell muass wekk“, when Merkel actually is funding an advertising campaign in Afghanistan against coming to Germany, and Merkel is paying poor countries a lot of money so they cooperate with deportations.

There is one billion Afghans in Europe! These are alternative facts! The libtards lie!

42 minutes ago, john_b said:

I'll wait for the OP to respond.

So your comment is not based on any credible evidence whatsoever, but at least the subject matter does make up the vast majority of your postings on TT. You really need to get out more.

BAMF don't even know who and how many has arrived in Europe,  yet you do. What we know so far is that the doors of the EU were thrown open. Who has arrived and how many has arrived no one has a clue so stop posting pointless numbers.

10 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

BAMF don't even know who and how many has arrived in Europe,  yet you do. What we know so far is that the doors of the EU were thrown open. Who has arrived and how many has arrived no one has a clue so stop posting pointless numbers.

We know everything: 2 billion arrived between 2014 and 2016.

Merkel and Hollande agreed on accepting 1 billion of Afghans every year, so by 2024 10 billion Afghans will come to Germany.

@yourkeau: do you have a cold or something, with a population of about 33 million it would be impossible to accept 1 billion per year.

3 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

the majority of Afghans are now in Europe. 

1 hour ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Who has arrived and how many has arrived no one has a clue