Trump refuses a handshake to Merkel

142 posts in this topic

That is something:

Anti Muslim president behaves like a Jihadi Salafist.

Saudi Arabian King didn't have any problem to shake hands with Michelle Obama (actually forbidden in radical Islam):

Could he be any more awful? He didn't even look at her. 

Does he have a hearing problem or something? I'm having trouble understanding this. 

When Trump shakes hands, press makes fun of him.

Trump shakes hands with Merkel number of times (outside Whitehouse, after the joint press conference etc), but decides not to shake hands with Merkel at the Oval office, to deny the opportunity to kids who make Freeze Frame news out of it, and the anti-Trumpers compare him to a Muslim.

Ah, just another day in paradise. :)

I have explanation, but it's not obvious and can be false.

When prime minister of Bavaria shakes hands with Putin or Chinese president to protect Bavarian businesses exporting to nondemocratic countries, the opposition uses this against him. So, maybe he was afraid that his supporters will booo him for shaking hands with Merkel, although this is just diplomacy and business. And this fear totally switched off the reasonable part of him (=to create more jobs for Americans, for which you need to secure markets for American exports). Actually one Trump supporter admired him and wrote in the comments: „You do not shake hands with commies“.

For American rednecks the whole Europe is communist just because it has universal healthcare and welfare system.

Trump did shake hands with Merkel but perhaps he was pissed off that she couldn't speak English. 

At least she is not like bakery and supermarket workers that continue to answer me in pigeon English to my pigeon Deutsch.

In terms of the handshake it is somewhat understandable. Angela insists on speaking German even though she can apparently speak good English. Do all the major German exporters insist on speaking German? 

Donald probably heard handshake as hamshake and obviously he didn't want one of those from Angela 😁

But maybe he was a bit inconsiderate toward Merkel, who is her guest? I mean she is a very experienced politician who didn't extend her hand immediately, and I think that saved the situation for both of them. Otherwise, we would have been looking at a weird photo and whatever the intentions, those things stick with people. And now, there is a photo with Japan, a photo with Canada, but not one with Germany. 

Why did he deny te press a handshake? 

Surely there are more important things in the DE-US relationship than a handshake (and it's not like he didn't shake her hand when she got out of the car)?

No but refusing a handshake with Merkel in the public arena shows how stupid the Donald is...

And the Donald is stupid. He tells Ireland how much he loves them; we can send him lots of cheese, sausages and bacon  but he refuses to publicly shake the hand of the world's biggest exporter and with an importing population 20 times that of Ireland.

No long term jobs for those that voted for him.

Sure, topcat, Germans make business decisions solely on what happens to someone whose party gets max around 42% of their votes when she visits the US. Completely logical. Never mind Trump is still protecting Germany 70+ years after WWII. Maybe the world's second biggest exporter can fund their own defense?

It's much ado about nothing anyway.

She is too smart to be offended. Did you see her looks on the video? She looks like „Whatever, this dumbass doesn't want to shake hands with me.“

You can spin it as you like erdmann but there was no public handshake at the oval office although honestly why Angela would want to shake hands with this authoritarian oligarch is way way beyond me...

@Conq knocking pr when trump actually lost the popular vote by over 3 million sounds really smart. Any ways i thought you were either Spanish or black so how you can be so pro trumpeter is a big surprise to me.

On 18/03/2017, 00:59:53, topcat 1 said:

Any ways i thought you were either Spanish or black so how you can be so pro trumpeter is a big surprise to me.

The father of my daughter´s boyfriend is a Latino, highly educated and still voted for Trump.

Trump actually threw on his jacket and met Merkel as she stepped out of her SUV.   CNN made a big deal about it saying that it showed signs of respect.

As an aside, i learned yesterday that CNN interviewed a station chief from the Bild for commentary on the visit.   I was a bit surprised that Bild would work with a media outlet which could damage its reputation. 

Merkel promised to raise defence spending to 2% of GDP by 2024.    UFB.

It is surprising to see the major media outlets in Germany repeat how many jobs German companies in the US create and how much German money German companies invest without specifying what exactly the US does for Germany.    You would almost think that the US is beholden to Germany when it would seem that the balance goes the other way.