Free data/phone usage within Europe from June, company increases tariff

24 posts in this topic

So just told told that from the middle of June you can use your tariff allowance in all EU countries with no charge (EU regulation) and in the same message I was told from the 1st June my monthly cost will go up 2 euro a month.

Is this legal?

I'm with Winsim. 

Also got the note too. It's purely a cash grab from WinSIM.

With that said, it's totally legal. If you don't accept the increase in cost you can object and cancel your contract. There's an option in your WinSIM online portal called Widerspruch if you don't agree and want to cancel.

I heard about this too. Does this mean that the tarrif crosses the border in the same way if I drove from Frankfurt to Munich nothing changes or is like Aldi's EU tarrif where you pay 5€ for a 150MB but now it's free.

5 minutes ago, Tim Hortons Man said:

I heard about this too. Does this mean that the tarrif crosses the border in the same way if I drove from Frankfurt to Munich nothing changes or is like Aldi's EU tarrif where you pay 5€ for a 150MB but now it's free.

More or less, yes. In June all roaming fees for typical usage will be removed in all EU countries. There are some exceptions though (like if you buy an Austrian SIM card and use it exclusively in Germany), but your normal German tourist vacationing in another EU country will be able to use his/her phone plan as though he/she were at home.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_roaming_regulations

yeah the roaming charges being set to zero is good !!

But you did not really expect the mobile phone providers to just accept the loss did you ?

The truth of the matter is that people who roam at lot were subsidizing the home mobile market, now that revenue has gone they will get there money by putting up the home market costs. We done the the EU, they have just put  up the costs for all mobile home users - 3 cheers 

16 minutes ago, yesterday said:

. We done the the EU, they have just put  up the costs for all mobile home users - 3 cheers 

Yes, well done indeed. As of June I can use my Winsim card which comes with 1 GB of data and 200 min for € 3,95 (okay, by then € 5,95) in Cyprus where €5 would buy me 100 MB and 10 min.

1 hour ago, jeba said:

Yes, well done indeed. As of June I can use my Winsim card which comes with 1 GB of data and 200 min for € 3,95 (okay, by then € 5,95) in Cyprus where €5 would buy me 100 MB and 10 min.

Check this website for information on Cyprus. It's expensive but not nearly as bad as you claim. Tourists can purchase the "MTN Holiday Internet" pack for €20, which includes the SIM card and 2GB of LTE data. Residents who already have an MTN SIM card can purchase a one-month 1.5 GB Data top-up card for €15, see here under "Top up".

If you live permanenty in Cyprus, it's very unlikely that Winsim will give you the same conditions as German residents vacationing in the EU. There's  an exception for such cases in the EU roaming rules.

6 hours ago, Tim Hortons Man said:

There's a difference in the sense that when you drive from Frankfurt to Munich you are not in roaming mode, and you are not subject to any fair-use rules.  You can even move permanently to Munich and keep the same conditions you had in Frankfurt.

6 hours ago, Joe-K said:

Check this website for information on Cyprus. It's expensive but not nearly as bad as you claim. Tourists can purchase the "MTN Holiday Internet" pack for €20, which includes the SIM card and 2GB of LTE data.

Those 2 GB are valid for only 15 days though.

6 hours ago, Joe-K said:

Residents who already have an MTN SIM card can purchase a one-month 1.5 GB Data top-up card for €15, see here under "Top up".

??? The website says:

Top-Up Cards

Included Airtime Free Minutes of Airtime* Free SMS Free MBs

Validity Period of top up value

Validity Period of All In One Bonus
Top Up €1** €1 €0.50 - - 24 hours -
Top Up €5 €5 -  - - 180 days 30 days
Top Up €10 €10 40 100 30 365 days 30 days
Top Up €20 €20 120 250 60 365 days 30 days
Top Up €35 €35 240 500 90 365 days 30 days
Top Up €50* €50 400 750 150 365 days 30 days

6 hours ago, Joe-K said:

If you live permanenty in Cyprus, it's very unlikely that Winsim will give you the same conditions as German residents vacationing in the EU. There's  an exception for such cases in the EU roaming rules.

How would they even come to know? Apart from that at least Edeka-mobil, which I´m currently using doesn´t have a restriction on how long you stay out of Germany. I specifically asked that before I bought the SIM card.

18 hours ago, jeba said:

As you are quoting deals from  Cyprus.

I had a quick look at the winsim website, I cannot find your deal on their website !!!

best I could see was 1GB, 400mins for 6.99 Euro a month on LTE minus plan

6 minutes ago, yesterday said:

As you are quoting deals from  Cyprus.

I had a quick look at the winsim website, I cannot find your deal on their website !!!

Maybe they don't offer my plan anymore to new customers. I'm still paying €3,95 per month though.

6 hours ago, yesterday said:

Even worse, the current roaming conditions for that Winsim plan are: Monatliche EU-Leistungen:100 Inklusiveinheiten + 100 MB.

17 hours ago, jeba said:

How would they even come to know?

You can't be serious. Of course they know where you are! How would they be able to route your phone calls otherwise? Plus, every time you make or receive a phone call or use even the tiniest amount of data, the German operator gets billed (at wholesale rates) by whichever foreign network you were roaming on. Even though you never see it, using your phone in roaming mode generates pages upon pages of very detailed billing information, which the operators then settle amongst themselves.

17 hours ago, jeba said:

Those 2 GB are valid for only 15 days though.

??? The website says:

Yes, the tourist plan is valid for 15 days only.

The normal data card  is good for 30 days, see screenshot below (from the same MTN Cyprus website). You can get a similar data card from Primetel Cyprus, €15 for 2Gb of LTE data, see here.

data-top-up.png

6 hours ago, Joe-K said:

You can't be serious. Of course they know where you are!

Sure, but I meant how would they know that I´m no longer a German resident. And without having read all the smallprint I guess there is nothing in the contract that requires me to notify that I´m no longer residing in Germany. So the contract should still remain in place even though they can´t charge roaming fees after June.  AFAIR the EU refused to grant them the right to charge roaming fees if you stay outside Germany for more than 3 months.

6 hours ago, Joe-K said:

Yes, the tourist plan is valid for 15 days only.

The normal data card  is good for 30 days, see screenshot below (from the same MTN Cyprus website). You can get a similar data card from Primetel Cyprus, €15 for 2Gb of LTE data, see here.

data-top-up.png

True, but that data card can´t be used to make or receive phone calls. You´d need a dual SIM phone for that.

3 hours ago, jeba said:

True, but that data card can´t be used to make or receive phone calls. You´d need a dual SIM phone for that.

It's not a dedicated SIM card, it's a top-up card that adds a data plan to an existing account. The remainder of one's credit remains unaffected and can be used to make phone calls etc. as usual.

3 hours ago, jeba said:

Sure, but I meant how would they know that I´m no longer a German resident. And without having read all the smallprint I guess there is nothing in the contract that requires me to notify that I´m no longer residing in Germany. So the contract should still remain in place even though they can´t charge roaming fees after June.  AFAIR the EU refused to grant them the right to charge roaming fees if you stay outside Germany for more than 3 months.

The telcos are not interested in "residence" as defined by the German authorities (Anmeldung and what not), but actual patterns of use. Even after the abolition of roaming fees, they will be allowed to have a "fair use policy" in line with the rules of the European Commission (see announcement).

The safeguards against abuse are based on clear principles and include indicators and tools which are reasonable, non-discriminatory, transparent, and respect privacy. In order to detect potential abuses, the roaming provider may perform checks of the usage patterns of customers both in their own Member State and in other Member States (control mechanism). This will be based on the information which operators already use to bill their customers.

Identifying abusive or anomalous traffic patterns should be based on the following clear and transparent indicators:

• A pair of indicators to be observed over a period of at least four months, establishing whether the customer has a) prevailing domestic consumption over roaming consumption and b) prevailing domestic presence (log-on to the roaming provider's network) over presence in other Member States of the EU;
  • Long inactivity of a given SIM card associated with use mostly, if not exclusively, while roaming;
  • Subscription and sequential use of multiple SIM cards by the same customer while roaming;

Fair use policies have to be notified by the roaming provider to the national regulatory authority and be spelled out in detail in contracts.

On 18/03/2017, 20:47:36, yesterday said:

But you did not really expect the mobile phone providers to just accept the loss did you ?

The truth of the matter is that people who roam at lot were subsidizing the home mobile market, now that revenue has gone they will get there money by putting up the home ma

Handy rates have dropped 95% while long distance charges have dropped 💯% yet the phone companies are doing fine, so I don't think will have any effect, other than to help drive the land line into oblivion.