Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Bavaria on edge

55 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, programdirector said:

Unless your child had to go through it. Happy it wasn't anything real but it must have been hard on Jeremy when he wasn't sure.

I wasn't making light of how the people were affected - just the wild speculation that was going on after the fact.

Some time in the night, there were helicopters flying over close to our house. Woke Himself up - I slept through. He said they came once and then came back again. Who knows what was going on? Probably looking for someone.

It wasnt a trial... it was a false alarm...

If it was an excersise  then they certainly wouldnt have sent a hellicopter... 

45 minutes ago, jeremy said:

That's interesting Yourkeau. You seem to know your stuff. So is it true that the British SAS trained the GSG9?

No idea, but that can be well possible that the Brits and Amis trained first GSG9: back then Germany didn't have any special police force and zero experience in dealing with terror, so they definitely invited foreign instructors and due to the presence of the armies it was logical to invite Brits and Amis.

GSG9 got its first international recognition when it flew to Somalia to rescue hijacked Lufthansa plane. All passengers were freed.

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

I wasn't making light of how the people were affected - just the wild speculation that was going on after the fact.

Some time in the night, there were helicopters flying over close to our house. Woke Himself up - I slept through. He said they came once and then came back again. Who knows what was going on? Probably looking for someone.

I didn't see any speculation. Just a link to the news. And after a debate about how police departments compare to each other. Did I miss something?

My son was accusing me of showing off that our SAS trained their GSG9. I explained to him that much our military experience I am definitely not proud of in the last few years - Iraq and Afghanistan were senseless wars. I've always admired those who go into battle but despise those bLiar types who send them in.

4 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

As it was a False alrm... who is going to pay for the cost of it all?

We have been wondering this - the most recent one here was, according to kid#2, caused by a girl who didn't want to do her Abi exam (mock, I guess, given the time of year) getting her boyfriend to write the email threat received by the school. The police have spent some time in the school interviewing etc. and supposing they ever prove it was him, I suppose he becomes liable, but as a penniless older teenager, he's probably not going to get the actual million quid fine which would cover it. Presumably they recover as much as they can. Maybe the TT guy down in Bayern who is ex police might be able to tell us how that goes. It would be interesting. 

As I understand it, if the state issues a judgment against you, you pretty much end up paying for it for the rest of your life (or maybe there's a 30-year statute of limitations; I don't know) If it's a minor, they go after the parents.

Just last week I read that the father of the asshole who stole his dad's unsecured guns and shot up the school in Winnenden has been ordered to pay $500,000 to the victims and their families, although he claims to be penniless.

I'm just so glad that it was a false alarm and the kids are safe. Couldn't imagine how you felt @jeremy when you're still unsure. To lose their kids is the worst thing that could ever happen to parents. Here's praying that our kids stay safe and live a happy life until they reach very, very old age.

Thanks. My health at the moment is bad, and this came at the wrong time.

6 minutes ago, jeremy said:

Thanks. My health at the moment is bad, and this came at the wrong time.

OMG, I can't even imagine how awful it must have been thinking the worst.  I'm sure it never enters one's mind at the time that it could be a false alarm.  Thank goodness it was. 

Been reading up on stress lately, and the difference between the sympathetic (stress) and parasympathetic (peace) nervous system. Mine was pure fight/flight, mortal fear and God knows what that did for my weak system God knows...

I can only presume that all the Islamic terrorists have Holzkirchen as a key target site. Terrible that they would target such a place!!

I do understand the sarcasm, but a (even if only perceived) personal scare runs deep...

... I remember running out of a subway at top speed after an idiot set off a firecracker in it.

That stuck with me for days.

16 hours ago, fraufruit said:

It's over now, jerm. The worst didn't happen. Try some meditation.

Yeah. When my lungs heal we're easing into Qi Gong.

2 hours ago, Metall said:

I do understand the sarcasm, but a (even if only perceived) personal scare runs deep...

... I remember running out of a subway at top speed after an idiot set off a firecracker in it.

That stuck with me for days.

Thank you Metall. 

I do believe it's easing up here. After a year when the guys would walk within 100m of my house up and down, my daughter was unable to cycle around, even my wife was nervous, they are moving from this temporary shelter to permanent housing. 8 have been granted their papers, and I hope these lads make some kind of life here. I wish them well. Apart from really minor niggles the year we've had them near us they were okay. I'd rather 300 African males than 300 English football fans tbh.

7 hours ago, topcat 1 said:

I can only presume that all the Islamic terrorists have Holzkirchen as a key target site. Terrible that they would target such a place!!

Next to daughter/son's school is a FOS with older kids. Some of them are nutters. I was more scared of these teenagers pulling some weirdness than any foreigners tbh. After all, that Winnenden kid was German.