Travelling to Berlin alone... Any advice?

11 posts in this topic

Hello,

I will be in Berlin at the end of this month for a break. Is there any advice on where to go? Where not to go? I will be going alone, I am a tad scared but I really hope it will be a fun experience. 

Are people quite welcoming? I just have this image of me drinking in a bar alone, sight seeing alone (which I am okay with), but I really just want to make the most use out of my short break.

Sorry if this has been seen before, I have joined recently.

Thank you! :)

Hi,

I spent a week in Berlin in 2007..am interested in history and architecture so loved it and didn't mind being alone. One thing I did do was go on a couple of city sightseeing bike tours - a great way to see the city. 

42 minutes ago, xenaxoxo said:

Hello,

I will be in Berlin at the end of this month for a break. Is there any advice on where to go? Where not to go? I will be going alone, I am a tad scared but I really hope it will be a fun experience. 

Are people quite welcoming? I just have this image of me drinking in a bar alone, sight seeing alone (which I am okay with), but I really just want to make the most use out of my short break.

Folks on this forum are usually really helpful with this kind of request, but it's extremely difficult to advise when you give us no indication whatsoever of your:

• interests
  • age group
  • background
  • language abilities
  • reason for choosing Berlin
  • length of visit

Also, did you already comb this forum for earlier questions on this topic? Anything that caught your fancy?

John, I will be in Berlin for 5 days. Historical sites during the day (huge huge love for History) and an evening I suppose, mainly in bars with an easy going atmosphere rather than clubs. I am 23 girl, British Asian.  My German is next to nothing- but I will certainly pick up the basics before I go. I have always wanted to go to Germany and this is my first city where I will be alone.

I just do not want to be going to my hotel at 9pm every night missing out of things due to my shy nature. I think I just need to bite the bullet and get on with it. 

I am planning to work through the museums and possibly have a day trip in Dresden, but I think my main fear is the evening time. I just want to find a place which is fun, welcoming to tourists, does not have a bad reputation... and most importantly has an abundance of alcohol! 

Anyway, I have redirected this to trip advisor as per Panda. Many thanks for the response.

You'll find more than enough to keep you entertained, as you already know Berlin is full of world class museums, art galleries and historical sites. It is sometimes a bit weird when you're alone, summoning up courage to go into a bar or cafe alone, but Berlin has a very relaxed vibe overall. 

You don't say where you are staying, but off the top of my head, obvious areas that are visitor-friendly and relaxed could include Savignyplatz (Charlottenburg), around Nollendorfplatz (Schöneberg) Käthe Kollwitzplatz (Prenzlauer Berg) or Hackescher Markt (Mitte). A bit livelier would be to walk along Weserstrasse in Neukölln, starting at Hermannplatz. If you're still around on April 2nd, the Sunday flea market starts again after its winter break along the canal in Neukölln - Maybachufer ("Flowmarkt"). 

http://www.spottedbylocals.com/berlin/nowkolln-flowmarkt/

How about going to a show in the evening? I haven't been for many years, but most of the variety shows at Chameleon are ideal for non-German speakers

https://chamaeleonberlin.com/en

The least of your problems will be to find alcohol...wish you a safe trip, have a great time in Berlin!

Try couchsurfing.com which is not only useful for accommodation, but also to meet other travelers who may also be looking for a friend to hang out with during their stay in Berlin. 

There are also group events on the site.

Try looking at Meetup.com, or as Santitas suggested, the Events & Meetups page on this site.  There are a lot of evening events were everyone is welcome (and it is no problem showing up without knowing anyone beforehand).  For example:

https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/368171-friday-night-drinks-17032017-tbd/ (weekly Friday night meetup)

https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/113335-language-exchange-meet-up-in-the-kreuzberg-area/ (weekly language exchange, lots of German and English speakers, very informal)

You're going ALONE? To BERLIN?? YIKES!!!

I hope you're staying at a hostel, and not a hotel. Your chance of meeting people to do things with there are much, much higher, and in the evenings, some hostel bars are a great place. I don't know where one would meet locals in Berlin, but someone could chime in about that.

History is something Berlin has a ton of, for obvious reasons. A day trip to Dresden might be pushing it, but something like Sachsenhausen or Frankfurt (Oder) or Potsdam would be more like it. You'll have enough there, especially if you're going to be fitting museums in.

I found this: http://www.curso24.de/images/berlin_colour_teaser.pdf. Maybe it'll help?

Thank you everyone for your kind and informative responses. It has certainly helped me and I will take everything on board.

I will 100% be looking out for any meet ups on this forum at the end of March, would be an experience for sure!!

Much appreciated x