Politics Gen XYZ

5,116 posts in this topic

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-63582201

The UK appears to be heading into recession after the latest official figures showed the economy shrank between July and September.

The economy contracted by 0.2% during the three months as soaring prices hit businesses and households.

A country is in recession when its economy shrinks for two three-month periods in a row. The UK is expected to be in one by the end of the year.

The Bank of England has forecast a "very challenging" two-year recession.

A recession has been widely expected in the UK due to the prices of goods such as food, fuel and energy soaring, which is down to several factors, including the war in Ukraine.

Higher prices for goods has led to many households facing hardship and cutting back on spending, which has started to drag on the economy.

Our only hope is that the post-midterm backlash among the redundicans against dRumpf gains strength to peak during the primaries, but don't hold your breath.  Speaking of babbling shitgibbons and their dangerous tendencies, I wonder if DeSantis has upped security.

:D

Banner airplanes were trolling Donald Trump as a loser on Tuesday ahead of his "HUGE announcement" at Mar-a-Lago, an expected third bid for the presidency.

One plane was observed near his Mar-a-Lago home in Florida with a message calling him a "3X bigly loser." Another tagged his potential rival for the 2024 GOP presidential nomination, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, who resoundingly won re-election last week.

"You lost again Donald! #DeSantis2024," the message reads.

9 hours ago, silty1 said:

Our only hope is that the post-midterm backlash among the redundicans against dRumpf gains strength to peak during the primaries, but don't hold your breath.  Speaking of babbling shitgibbons and their dangerous tendencies, I wonder if DeSantis has upped security.

He should avoid windows in tall buildings. 

12 hours ago, silty1 said:

❤️😂! I was an international English teacher for 40 years! I no longer recognise my native tongue! I still do thou and ye ( mind you.. depends on the company I am holding!)..😀

"Trump taxes: Supreme Court clears Democrats to see returns"

The US Supreme Court has cleared the way for ex-President Donald Trump's tax forms to be released to a Democratic-controlled congressional committee.

The justices rejected Mr Trump's bid in October to block a lower court's ruling that granted the panel's request for his financial records.

The move is a blow to Mr Trump, who has for years kept his returns sealed.

Mr Trump became the first president in 40 years not to release his taxes after announcing his first presidential run.

The Supreme Court's brief response on Tuesday did not note dissent from any of the judges. 

The decision means the US treasury department can deliver the tax returns from 2015-20 for Mr Trump and some of his businesses to the Democratic-controlled committee.

It comes just before the Republicans take control of the House after this month's midterm elections.

Donald Trump was almost able to run out the clock on the congressional request to view his tax returns. 

Almost.

With just over a month left of Democratic control of the House of Representatives, the Supreme Court has given the green light for the treasury department to provide the documents to the Ways and Means Committee.

Given that the treasury department is run by the Biden administration, the process of handing over the documents should proceed expeditiously. 

Democrats won't have long to review them before Republicans take over on 3 January, however.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-63724223

Darth Tax eVader will whine and play the victim once again and should he actually comply, call anything they publish fake.   

Just watched a pretty objective documentary about the background to the Falklands/ Malvinas conflict in 1982. Not jingoistic, just informative and a reminder of the neglect of the islands by British administrations over years which PARTLY ( my capitalisation ) led to Galtieri's sending troops.

What the documentary doesn't mention is the stress at exactly that time between Argentina and Chile with troops on either side of the Andes, the disputed areas of Patagonia between the two countries and Galtieri's state of mind the evening before he gave the order.

1 hour ago, john g. said:

Just watched a pretty objective documentary about the background to the Falklands/ Malvinas conflict in 1982. Not jingoistic, just informative and a reminder of the neglect of the islands by British administrations over years which PARTLY ( my capitalisation ) led to Galtieri's sending troops.

What the documentary doesn't mention is the stress at exactly that time between Argentina and Chile with troops on either side of the Andes, the disputed areas of Patagonia between the two countries and Galtieri's state of mind the evening before he gave the order.

Are you and the documentary filmmaker actually trying to say Galtieri cared about the islanders?

Or is it that he thought they were being neglected and they would welcome him with open arms?

In the referendum they had a few years ago on if they wanted to remain a territory of the UK 99.8% of the islanders voted they wanted to remain.

And yes the referendum was overseen by a group of international observers, it wasn´t along the same lines as Russia's vote in Crimea etc :)

It was invaded just for Galtieris' ego and the jingoism of some of his population and basically to give his army something to do and to flash their dicks at Chile.

I think if you asked the Argentinian people if they believe the Islands should belong to Argentina then many of them would say yes.

However, if you just asked them what they think of the Islands they´d probably just shrug in a couldn´t give a fuck type of way.

39 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Are you and the documentary filmmaker actually trying to say Galtieri cared about the islanders?

Or is it that he thought they were being neglected and they would welcome him with open arms?

It was invaded just for Galtieris' ego and the jingoism of some of his population and basically to give his army something to do and to prove themselves.

I think if you asked the Argentinian people if they believe the Islands should belong to Argentina then many of them would say yes.

However, if you just asked them what they think of the Islands they´d probably just shrug in a couldn´t give a fuck type of way.

Of course Galtieri didn't give a shit. He was an arsehole and a military dictator who chucked kids/ students/ left wingers out of planes and into the Atlantic Ocean.

Political situation: very unpopular at the time. And then the great moment. And the mob went to the Plaza de Mayo flashing jewellery to sell to help the Argentine " case." 

The same people who days before whose kids were being murdered by the military.

No one in Buenos Aires would volunteer to live on those islands- fucking cold, wind-swept. No Italian restaurants. 

Borges: " two bald men fighting over a comb."

Galtieri was drunk the night before the order to attack. And trying to sell weapons to Honduras to sell to their Government to fight their guerrilleros. Source: the Honduran Ambassador to the UK in London. I knew him. He was with Galtieri the night before the invasion and described the scenario to me.

And I lived in Port Stanley for a few months in the 70s. In the podcast thingy you will see a picture of the new airport/ runway. I was the " official " Spanish- speaking interpreter to the islands during its construction mid-1970s for a few months! Argentine and British engineers/ joint Govt venture. I was lucky enough and cheeky enough to get the job!😂

The airport got bombed in the conflict.

So speaking of old news being new news again here's an interesting update on the Hunter Biden Elon Twitter debacle 

Tonight, Matt Taibbi broke a potentially huge political corruption story by publishing a detailed account of the censoring of the NY Post’s Hunter Biden laptop article. But he didn’t place it at the New York Times, Washington Post, or any other media outlet. He tweeted it.

Rather than posting the hard to read twitter link here is it in a way more readable format.  One point he makes is that Elon has made it clear he wants twitter to become the go to place for breaking news. Great in theory but content moderation is an absolute bitch (Just ask Alex Jones and ilk). People like Ezra Levant of Rebel News don't understand how the internet works (or choose not to for fund raising purposes). Very simply Advertisers run the internet and if they consider your site toxic you can forget about monetizing your YouTube channel. It's really that simple!

As an aside the term Far Right and Right Wing have both become slurs - used to be the far right was restricted to actual neo nazis white supremists nowadays it's anyone who wotes the wrong way or holds the wrong opinions. You believe masks should be optional well that's far right/white supremcy/ neo nazi thinking.