Politics Gen XYZ

5,079 posts in this topic

On 17/05/2022, 20:19:21, john g. said:

Do you remember the first meal you ever cooked,

Does Top Ramen count?

The first thing I ever properly cooked was a casserole that I´d watched and learned how to cook from my mum over the years and although I did everything right and it tasted really good it tasted absolutely fuck all like the one my mum made.

1 minute ago, john g. said:

:lol:

Did you ever cook it again, Keleth?

Yep still cook it today, still tastes good but still absolutely nothing like the one mum made, even though same ingredients etc.

Tried to make her mac and cheese a couple of times, good but once again nothing like hers.

Back here on Crete, I can't imagine food banks existing. Even the poorest families have someone in the extended family with allotments, fruit trees, a small farmer and the works.

I just googled " food banks on Crete " and was shocked... till I realised something!

https://www.freefood.org/c/il-crete

On the other hand, I read yesterday Greece has the highest electricity bills in Europe. 

19 hours ago, Keleth said:

Why distance myself from the foodbank aspect when what he said (which you think is not wholly wrong) is that we wouldn´t need foodbanks if people could learn to cook and budget. As I said it is just another way of saying "if only poor people would work harder or weren´t so stupid then there wouldn´t be a problem".He was not even slightly right.

I said a few posts back that everyone should be taught to cook and budget. How many of us have left school got our first payday and thought what the fuck do I do now.

I don´t have a problem with that but my problem is...

He couldn´t have phrased it better because you can´t make a silk purse out of a sow's ear and that´s what you would have had to do to make him right in any way.

Are there people who cannot cook/budget well? Yes. Hence he is not is not wholly wrong. 

Are there people who use foodbanks who cannot cook/budget well? Yes it seems so (otherwise why would foodbank charities hold cooking/budgeting courses). Hence, he is not wholly wrong. 

Do people only use foodbanks because they cannot cook/budget (well)? No. Hence conflating the two is a crass comment. 

And with that...I'm out. 

This cartoon is from the 19th century

628f44ff10144_19thcentury.jpg.c0cb960f33

Pretty much applies to the 21st century under a Tory government

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-politics-60289386

Boris Johnson - Vote of confidence

The vote of confidence runs from 18:00 to 20:00 - with a result at 21:00 (BST)

Most of the cabinet say they will support him - but former Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt says he should go...

(Well they would support him, no one else would give them the time of day, a bunch of incompetent dimwits)