Politics Gen XYZ

4,984 posts in this topic

Ah a food bank hands out ingredients? I thought it was like an American soup kitchen where you get hot food. If it's just cans of stuff to cook on your own, I'm even more adamant that people wouldn't go there just because they can't cook, because THEY'D HAVE TO USE THOSE INGREDIENTS TO COOK!

1 hour ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

No way would I go to a food bank. I'm not saying it's beneath me, but there is a certain mental threshold that one need cross before one would go to a food bank.

Hungry children is the threshold for many people who use food banks.

I remember Uncle Nick assisting his blind friend at the food bank weekly. 

57 minutes ago, skadi said:

Crickey, you'll fall off that high horse if you are not careful. If people who don't know much about cooking or budgeting (not because they are poor or stupid but because nobody ever taught them) can learn how to make their money go further and any food they have go further, how is that wrong? 

Because that´s not what he said.

This bit is actually missing from the video...

“And what we do at the food bank, we teach them how to cook cheap and nutritious meals on a budget. We can make a meal for about 30p a day, which is cooking from scratch.”

Questioned whether he even believed food banks were necessary, Anderson said that was “exactly my point”.

But please keep telling me what he said wasn´t totally wrong.

Everyone should learn the rudiments of cooking and budgeting but ffs saying that´s a reason that people use foodbanks is absolute bollocks.

"The Trussell Trust is the largest food bank network in the UK, and it handed out around 41,000 food packs in 2009/10 compared to 1.2 million in 2016/17."

Fuck me,all of a sudden so many people reached the stage where they couldn´t cook or budget.

This is just another way of saying "if only the poor worked harder or weren´t so stupid,they wouldn´t be poor"

Also would you care to show me a list of where people can learn to cook and budget free of charge?

When you do find them just look at the ingredients for their food and the cooking time.

Oh and this is the same MP who then tried to prove his point by getting his cooks at the foodbank to cook meals for 30p which they did.

However that involved buying the ingredients in bulk.

What it didn´t include was the energy costs of actually cooking it and then the storing of it afterwards.

Some Welsh Chef did this...

Chef cooks 30p meals to show exactly how much nonsense MP is talking - Wales Online

27 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

The thing about food banks is COOKING ON A BOOTSTRAP – by Jack Monroe, bestselling author of 'A Girl Called Jack' often end up with a very odd collection of tins and packets.  Some people using them only have a kettle and a microwave.  I have said the before but Jack Munroe has experimented and has great ideas.  Her veg curry with tinned peaches is very popular.   

COOKING ON A BOOTSTRAP – by Jack Monroe, bestselling author of 'A Girl Called Jack'

Why does it take someone who was in poverty to be able to teach people who are in poverty how to cook?

Because people like that MP and skarli are full of reasons why people are in poverty (seems to be popular to blame those in poverty themselves) but that´s it.

18 hours ago, john g. said:

without paying the rent ( she had to beg/borrow off friends )

without food

Thank fuck she didn´t use a foodbank or people would be saying it´s her fault for not learning to cook or budget.

53 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Ah a food bank hands out ingredients? I thought it was like an American soup kitchen where you get hot food. If it's just cans of stuff to cook on your own, I'm even more adamant that people wouldn't go there just because they can't cook, because THEY'D HAVE TO USE THOSE INGREDIENTS TO COOK!

Those ingredients can be anything though. You can´t go and choose what you want, you take what you can get.

Hence, why some recipe ideas are not so stupid. Yes, tory bloke is a tory arsehole and he was very crass in what he said. but the wider point remains, if some people have not learnt to cook and/or budget well, then teaching them can only be a good thing. And if this opens up a sensible (I wish) discussion about the topic, wunderbar. 

When I was at school (NW England in the 1970's), the girls were taught to cook and we could smell their "take homes" on the bus.

They got a serious education. 

The lads, however, didn't get a look in at the school kitchens (but  we had a short course on needlework BTW)

These days, according to friends with kids in UK, 

"it's too dangerous, what with knives and boiling saucepans and even possible food poisoning; just can't

let kids fiddle with stuff like that"

I know my kids in Germany didn't get any cookery either.

It's a great shame that basic nutrition and cooking is no longer taught.

And a partial result is that budgeting and cookery are not in young peoples skill set

unless they have a home background to fill in the deficits or decide for themselves to learn.

So what can we change?

45 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

How to cook 101.

Learn to read.

Read a recipe, buy ingredients and make it.

It really isn't magic.

I beg to differ....

How hot is hot when frying?

How fast to stir when making a roux ?

Check a cake in the oven? Does the knitting needle come out with a little or a lot of mixture on it? Another 5 or 10 mins?

Another guest, 2 spuds extra or 3?

I heard a German radio report about chefs traveling to schools and letting kids try different basic foods.

Many didn't know what to expect if they bit into an onion, carrot or lemon.

You've got to want to cook as opposed to just warming through. And if never shown what good food is...

All of your questions are answered on the internet. And I'm not talking about food bank people who have a limited choice of ingredients here.

I had to teach myself to cook and so did Himself.

Cake in the oven - toothpick comes out clean when done. B)

Do you remember the first meal you ever cooked, fraufruit? Mine was a sort of Irish stew and I read the instructions somewhere. An Australian as young as I was at the time and who slept over one night at my place whilst hitchhiking commented " wow, I didn't know you English knew how to cook!"

( Hint: I didn't😂)..

What a memory!👍Sounds great!

My first ever cooking was when I rented a small flat in Rio and I used to take away supermarket recipe tips! My favourite became strogonoff!!

There was a restaurant with great strogonoff , which I always loved , but it always gave me diarrhoea!😂

So I tried the supermarket recipe! I still have it ( a bit ripped !)😂

All those years ago and in a Cretan cupboard!!:lol:

IMG_9035 (002).jpg

57 minutes ago, HH_Sailor said:

How hot is hot when frying?

How fast to stir when making a roux ?

The Pedant in the Kitchen by Julian Barnes (goodreads.com) - hilarious.

Back to the sad truth of the food banks etc. - for a (terrifying) glimpse of cooking with no knowledge or gear,  Kay's Cooking - YouTube - I fear this is how people are trying to manage - with a gas ring and a couple of pans, mostly cheap ingredients and no clue. 

Certainly those suggesting courses for cooking and healthy nutrition are not wrong, but the basic causes of the current difficulties are the years of austerity that have literally cut the average life expectancy in the UK.  Marmot Review 10 Years On - IHE (instituteofhealthequity.org) The marmoset dude's writing is no jolly read.

This is the background against which the insensitive comments are set. There is no doubt that lack of budgeting and culinary skills are central to many people finding themselves unable to manage on a low income, but there are plenty who just don't have sufficient income for even very modest needs and those who are earning a large wage and particularly those in a position to claim from public funds for their activities should not be throwing stones at unfortunates stuck in a situation the rich politicians have colluded in.

19 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Got it from an old cookbook The Joy of Cooking.

If that´s the one with a bluey purpley sort of colour cover then the wife also has that and has had it for as long as I can remember.The only thing is you have to convert all the imperial stuff to metric.She still regularly makes her pancakes to the recipe in there.

On 17/05/2022, 16:08:03, skadi said:

Hence, why some recipe ideas are not so stupid. Yes, tory bloke is a tory arsehole and he was very crass in what he said. but the wider point remains, if some people have not learnt to cook and/or budget well, then teaching them can only be a good thing. And if this opens up a sensible (I wish) discussion about the topic, wunderbar. 

Crass and totally wrong.

I´ll ask you a few simple questions...

1. Do people's lack of budgeting and cooking skills give rise to foodbanks?

2. Have the UK public for some reason over the past few years suddenly become really bad at cooking and budgeting?

3. Does the massive rise in the number of people using foodbanks run parallel with austerity and high energy costs among others?

4. Does the massive rise in the number of people using foodbanks run parallel with education and common sense suddenly failing in people not being able to cook and budget well enough to force them into foodbanks.

Personally, I´d say yes to No3 but no to the other 3.

But you be you and probably say it´s a mix of all 4.

On 5/17/2022, 10:39:10, kiplette said:

Back to the sad truth of the food banks etc. - for a (terrifying) glimpse of cooking with no knowledge or gear,  Kay's Cooking - YouTube - I fear this is how people are trying to manage - with a gas ring and a couple of pans, mostly cheap ingredients and no clue. 

@KelethThis. 

So what is the problem with giving them a clue? Stop being so obtuse and distance yourself from the foodbank aspect.

By the way, I agree entirely with your answers, but I just don't see what the problem is with having a wider conversation re the issues some people are facing even if the trigger was some tory knob. 

4 hours ago, skadi said:

Stop being so obtuse and distance yourself from the foodbank aspect.

Why distance myself from the foodbank aspect when what he said (which you think is not wholly wrong) is that we wouldn´t need foodbanks if people could learn to cook and budget. As I said it is just another way of saying "if only poor people would work harder or weren´t so stupid then there wouldn´t be a problem".He was not even slightly right.

I said a few posts back that everyone should be taught to cook and budget. How many of us have left school got our first payday and thought what the fuck do I do now.

4 hours ago, skadi said:

By the way, I agree entirely with your answers, but I just don't see what the problem is with having a wider conversation re the issues some people are facing even if the trigger was some tory knob. 

I don´t have a problem with that but my problem is...

On 16/05/2022, 10:41:06, skadi said:

I am not so sure that what he said is totally wrong, as lot of people have never been taught how to cook or budget.  However, could he have phrased the whole thing better and not sounded like a patronising arsehole, absolutely.

He couldn´t have phrased it better because you can´t make a silk purse out of a sow's ear and that´s what you would have had to do to make him right in any way.