Politics Gen XYZ

5,081 posts in this topic

Tory MP claims people only use food bonks because they can't cook...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Wulfrun said:

Tory MP claims people only use food bonks because they can't cook...

And yet fucking idiots keep voting for them.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, fraufruit said:

So do food banks cook for them?

As far as I know food banks don't provide cooked meals

That guy is just an ignorant Tory toerag

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2022, 10:44:26, Keleth said:

And yet fucking idiots keep voting for them.

A Tory with a northern accent. Gets me every time. It's like the Vichy French.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not so sure that what he said is totally wrong, as lot of people have never been taught how to cook or budget.  However, could he have phrased the whole thing better and not sounded like a patronising arsehole, absolutely

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, skadi said:

I am not so sure that what he said is totally wrong, as lot of people have never been taught how to cook or budget.  However, could he have phrased the whole thing better and not sounded like a patronising arsehole, absolutely

It is totally wrong in that he used that in reference to people using foodbanks. People who use foodbanks are not using them because they wasted an abundance of ingredients while trying to cook something, they use foodbanks because they´re fucking poor and can´t get food any other way.

Now especially these people who have to cook also have to worry about how long it takes to cook because of the incurred energy costs.

Anyway, why do people seem to think people who live in poverty are fucking idiots or don´t want to work or scroungers and many other idiotic things.

"Oh look they´ve got a smartphone/Internet/TV (delete where applicable) they can´t really be poor" and so on and so on is often the bollocks you hear trotted out about poverty. Do people actually think these people choose to be fucking poor?

Yes, there are people who live on benefits through choice but these people are not fucking poor and aren´t scraping around for a meal.

Real poverty is caused by many things and usually, bad cooking or budgeting doesn´t have anything to do with it.

When poverty is talked about most of what we hear is how to help people live on their means which is all well and good, but how about actually trying to find a way so that people don´t fall into poverty?

So please don´t tell me that cunt was not totally wrong because he was.

 

6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some people have never known what poverty is, Keleth. The likes of some Tory MPs being an example. Some people help out. Some abuse the welfare system though they would never dream of paying into it. I know people of all kinds- as we all do.

 

We know an Albanian family in our Cretan village. The wife, Silva , does restaurant work in the tourist season, has two beautiful young children, Davi and Luna.

The husband does day jobs on construction sites in a land where pay is poor anyway.

She is intelligent and hard-working. She has started doing a cleaning up of my office here and I pay way above the local prices ( really way above local prices - no way I would shout at low paid workers for 3 euros an hour- reality here. ) because we like her and love her kids. 

 

The husband- Silva confided to my Nicole " unter Tränen " last week he had done some cement work at a hotel under construction , taken the money and left for Albania for a month to visit family and left Silva and kids :

 

without paying the rent ( she had to beg/borrow off friends )

without food

without some necessary new clothing

without telling her he hadn't paid any bills

without asking if it was ok to bugger off for a month

 

No working class hero.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-61475899

Foreign Secretary Liz Truss is to set out the UK government's strategy for changing the post-Brexit trade deal for Northern Ireland.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said an "insurance" policy was needed to fix the deal on how goods enter Northern Ireland from the UK.

He agreed the deal with the European Union in 2019 after the Brexit vote.

But a row over its impact on trade has created a block on forming a devolved government in Northern Ireland.

...the comedy of errors rolls on and the bullshit deepens

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Keleth said:

It is totally wrong in that he used that in reference to people using foodbanks. People who use foodbanks are not using them because they wasted an abundance of ingredients while trying to cook something, they use foodbanks because they´re fucking poor and can´t get food any other way.

Now especially these people who have to cook also have to worry about how long it takes to cook because of the incurred energy costs.

Anyway, why do people seem to think people who live in poverty are fucking idiots or don´t want to work or scroungers and many other idiotic things.

"Oh look they´ve got a smartphone/Internet/TV (delete where applicable) they can´t really be poor" and so on and so on is often the bollocks you hear trotted out about poverty. Do people actually think these people choose to be fucking poor?

Yes, there are people who live on benefits through choice but these people are not fucking poor and aren´t scraping around for a meal.

Real poverty is caused by many things and usually, bad cooking or budgeting doesn´t have anything to do with it.

When poverty is talked about most of what we hear is how to help people live on their means which is all well and good, but how about actually trying to find a way so that people don´t fall into poverty?

So please don´t tell me that cunt was not totally wrong because he was.

 

Crickey, you'll fall off that high horse if you are not careful. If people who don't know much about cooking or budgeting (not because they are poor or stupid but because nobody ever taught them) can learn how to make their money go further and any food they have go further, how is that wrong? 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2022, 10:41:06, skadi said:

I am not so sure that what he said is totally wrong, as lot of people have never been taught how to cook or budget.  However, could he have phrased the whole thing better and not sounded like a patronising arsehole, absolutely

I can barely cook. No way would I go to a food bank. I'm not saying it's beneath me, but there is a certain mental threshold that one need cross before one would go to a food bank. Or am I wrong? It's a big step for someone who has not been poor for a long time, and I and those I know would avoid this at all costs unless forced to do so. I am not so sure the people abouw whom we are talking about would do this except under duress.

 

Eh, maybe I'm wrong and Brits aren't averse to doing this regardless of social class/expectations/upbringing.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a crap cook, but I had the luxury of being able to learn to cook something (barely) edible and not worry if I had to bin it. If that's the only food you have, then experimentation is not an option so learning some basic recipes can only be a bonus. 

 

And no, it's not normal for Brits to use foodbanks, desperate times = desperate measures.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now